[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are the most worthwhile books written by presidents?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 5

What are the most worthwhile books written by presidents?
>>
none

politicians haven't been good at writing since athens fell
>>
Madison wrote part of the Federalist Papers
(but most of it was Hamilton's)
Kennedy supposedly had a ghost-writer for Profiles in Courage. I'm not sure about "While England Slept" whether it was his or ghost-written.
>>
Jimmy Carter's books are adorable. He has like 18 of them now. He's a really nice man, with respectable and well established ideals.

He has books on everything from specific issues, to stories from times with his friends. Really colloquial and intelligent as a writer.

Probably not what you're hoping for - none of our presidents have been philosophers - but you either get ideology ridden attempts historical revisionism presented as "clearing the air", or you get genuine but not particularly worthwhile.

I haven't read pre-20th century presidents though.
>>
>>7426624
Why England Slept was by JFK
While England Slept was by Winston Churchill
>>
"The Winning of the West" by Theodore Roosevelt is a rip-roaring tale of triumphant conquest and spirited adventure.
>>
>>7426624

The Federalist is great stuff, the Anti federalist too. It's the cornerstone of American political philosophy, and shit hasn't really changed much since.

Sad to say, the enlightenment ideals are dead, what we have now are no better than shameful parrots.
>>
File: 1449112402793.jpg (20KB, 400x274px) Image search: [Google]
1449112402793.jpg
20KB, 400x274px
>>7426690
>Sad to say, the enlightenment ideals are dead
>implying this is a bad thing
>>
File: trump-book-cover.jpg (99KB, 480x786px) Image search: [Google]
trump-book-cover.jpg
99KB, 480x786px
Donald Trump - The Art of the Deal
>>
File: image.jpg (118KB, 630x466px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
118KB, 630x466px
If I Did It by George W. Bush
>>
Not a president but Franklin's auto-bio is pretty great iirc. Its short, so just go read it.
>>
I personally enjoyed Harry Truman's 'The Buck Stops Here,' which is his take on American history and gives his opinions on the presidents, including who is great and what made them great.

The 'Profiles in Courage' question is a valid one, I don't know whether JFK wrote it or Ted Sorenson was basically his ghost writer, but regardless, it's a great read and fairly quick, too, so I'd second the recommendation for that.

I've heard good things about Grant's memoirs but I haven't read them myself and they're rather massive
>>
We do well to mention Grant's war memoirs.

>>7426625
>Jimmy Carter's books
He's been a remarkable ex-president, whatever anyone might say about his politics, faith, etc. He has lived quite a life and has stood up even to his own church body when he was compelled to.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.