[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If Christmas is celebrated in the Harry Potter universe, this

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

File: image.png (833KB, 1128x528px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
833KB, 1128x528px
If Christmas is celebrated in the Harry Potter universe, this means Christ must have existed as well. Does this mean Jesus Christ was actually just an ancient wizard (a mudblood maybe?), who went around performing magic in front of muggles? Did he use magic to stage his own death, and was Judas in on it and he split the 30 silver pieces with Jesus after he "died" and was "resurrected?"
>>
>>7409600
It's almost like Harry is the second coming
>>
Hogwarts doesn't have a chapel or anything of the like, Christmas is the only Christian holiday they celebrate. If Jesus had existed and simply been a wizard, wizards wouldn't find anything he did miraculous. Given that many non-Christians celebrate Christmas just for the hell of it, we can assume the wizards are doing the same.
>>
>>7409625
There was plenty of hogwarts we didn't see, so it's still possible that there was a chapel. Or what if wizards don't revere him as the son of God, but instead as the first wizard, or the first publicly accepted wizard, or something along those lines. But to the rest of the world they appear to be worshiping him just as they do
>>
>>7409625
>Christmas is the only Christian holiday they celebrate
Nah, they have Easter holiday too, but bear in mind that Hogwarts, apart from being a magic boarding school, is also an *English* boarding school. I don't know much about the boarding school lit tradition that Rowling's drawing upon, but I'd assume the years are nicely broken up by Christmas and Easter in those.
Now either stop talking about Harry Potter on /lit/, or recommend me some other boarding school novels.
>>
>>7409600
It's not the birth of Christ they're celebrating, it's the winter solstice. Hence the Yule Ball. Father Christmas is mentioned because why the fuck would you not mention him?
>>
>>7409720
Uhhhh book 5 of a series of unfortunate events takes place in a boarding school, does that work?
>>
well people celebrate it in real life but there is no saying if JC really existed
>>
>>7409726
But why would it be called Christmas if there was no christ
>>
Pretty sure the existence of Jesus Christ (or someone he is based on) is an accepted historical fact by now.
>>
File: 1445659396264.jpg (86KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
1445659396264.jpg
86KB, 720x960px
>>7409731
why is it called thursday if there was no thor
>>
>>7409747
But in a world where magic exists, isn't it much easier to believe in all those ancient mythical figures, but as wizards rather and gods and whatnot? Like maybe there really was some Greek dude named Zeus who went around fucking everything he could find, and when people got mad he said he was a God and hit them with lightning
>>
No, JK Rowling just needed a plot device to introduce the invisibility cloak
>>
>>7409757
What was stopping her from just delivering it via random owl like Harry's brooms?
>>
Sure, Jesus could have been a wizard. He could also have been the actual son of God. Or he could have been an ancient hippy who preached about peace, got crucified and then a bunch of crazy stories spread about the miracles he had worked, which were mostly coincidence or luck. JK Rowling isn't likely to weigh in on this as she doesn't really push a strong pro- or anti-Christian message, her characters are mostly just regular modern day Brits who like Christmas and Easter but don't really go to church or anything.
>>
>>7409747
why is it called december if there was no twelfth month
>>
>>7409886

My big dick.
>>
>>7409929
You make a compelling argument
>>
File: 1310483412100.jpg (80KB, 413x395px) Image search: [Google]
1310483412100.jpg
80KB, 413x395px
>>7409600
>celebrating Christmas means that Jesus Christ existed
>>
>>7409996
no but it means that it is universe in which he at the least purportedly existed
>>
>>7409996
I wanted to say "the Christ myth exists" but then I would have gotten a bunch of fedora tipping ">Christ myth" posts
>>
File: cEjeUr7.jpg (304KB, 1920x2560px) Image search: [Google]
cEjeUr7.jpg
304KB, 1920x2560px
>>7410007
*tip*

It is a shame 'myth' carries such a negative connotation
>>
Remember the part about witches pretending to be burded by muggles?

What if Jesus was a just a wizard, and the New Testament was just him appearing to muggles as their divine savior and then pretending to have died, finally "resurrecting" before leaving again so that he could return to the magic community and sealing the joke forever.

And now Christmas is celebrated by the magic community as an ironic joke about a wizard who tricked the muggle world so hard that 32% of the world believes him to be their God.
>>
>>7410016

Wouldn't Herminone have objected to this? Surely, she'd have known and she is not the type to silently tolerate such a slight, really any slight, against muggles
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.