[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where should I start with Lovecraft?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

File: lovecraft.jpg (30KB, 325x499px) Image search: [Google]
lovecraft.jpg
30KB, 325x499px
Where should I start with Lovecraft?
>>
Dagon and The Music of Erich Zann
>>
Don't
>>
Is the Necronomicron the best collection?
>>
>>7384411
"On the Creation of Niggers" is all you need to know about this racist piece of shit.
>>
File: 51YAG9TV87L.jpg (36KB, 323x500px) Image search: [Google]
51YAG9TV87L.jpg
36KB, 323x500px
>>7384428
I like the three volumes from Penguin Classics. The covers are super classy and they have great annotations.
>>
>>7384428
or that blue one with ctulhu in the cover.
>>
Read:
The Rats in The Walls
Shadow over Innsmouth
The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath.

The thing with Lovecraft is that he wrote some great stories, but most were pretty bad. You have to be selective. There's a reason you rarely see discussion of his more obscure stuff - it is obscure because no one likes it.
>>
>>7384411
Nowhere
>>
>>7384428
Necronomicon + Eldritch Tales = all the stories he wrote + some extra funstuff
>>
>>7384519
I think recognizing that he was very creative and yet still possessed of disgusting notions is more striking and gives me more pause.

Vice, especially racism almost never appears isolated from virtue.
>>
>>7384519
In his stories, I usually just infer the racism as a flaw of the protagonist who narrates the story since you're only seeing the internal perspective of the protagonist. Otherwise it gets in the way for me if I'm just thinking of Lovecraft's racism.
>>
>>7384411
Dunwich Horror, Colour out of Space, Call of Cthulhu, Shadow over Innsmouth. Never start with At the Mountains of Madness. That should be near last. Some of the mythology hinted at in other stories are laid out more explicitly in Mountains of Madness.
>>
>>7384411

and when you've finished with the recommendations here, read the "Neonomicon" by Alan Moore.
>>
>>7384411
He has a great deal of mythos if you're looking for that side of things, but I personally feel like The Outsider was more personal and also stands as a good example of his technique.
>>
>>7384519
>someone has an unpopular opinion
>I guess everything they've ever done is invalid

At least society doesn't work this way... oh...
>>
Lovecraft was awesome And his fear of genetic horror and nonwhites is inseparable from his writings. If you're a weak minded and limp-wristed bitch you probably should stick to Who Fears Death or some other trite.
>>
>>7384519
you gotta consider that every great person his time considered black people subhuman. That's like calling Genghis Khan a warmongering piece of shit for conquering asia
>>
If you'll gladly read about men going insane from fear but clutch your pearls because of a few epithets then you should just stick to Jane austen
>>
I bought that book and just started reading. Got a few stories in and then started jumping to the stories that seemed most interesting. Have read maybe half of it now and come back to it every now and then. I say go for it, it's pretty extensive. It's really big though so don't expect to read it anywhere else than at home in your armchair. Which is how one should enjoy the horror anyway.
>>
Bringing up the name 'Lovecraft' back in school was always annoying

dude, Love-Craft lmao
>>
>>7384533
This. Thip particular selection is pretty good.
>>
>reading racist books
>ever

His work should be burned desu
>>
I enjoyed The Whisperer in Darkness even if by the end it got too silly.

Shadow over Innsmouth and Shadow out of Time are probably my favourites.
>>
>>7385511
Same goes for Nietzsche
>>
File: 4L_nSfKsJzD.jpg (1MB, 1849x2169px) Image search: [Google]
4L_nSfKsJzD.jpg
1MB, 1849x2169px
>>7384532
I've got that version of the collection.

It's pretty good, bigger than I thought it'd be though.
>>
>>7385780
I've got this too.
I don't know what people think of this edition, but I don't give a shit, I think its pretty cool.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.