[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you read young adult litterature?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 8

File: HungergamesCover.jpg (272KB, 795x1200px) Image search: [Google]
HungergamesCover.jpg
272KB, 795x1200px
Do you read young adult litterature?
>>
All the time and with great enthusiasm. But not that.
>>
File: bait.gif (4MB, 492x480px) Image search: [Google]
bait.gif
4MB, 492x480px
>>7379251
That's some poor bait quality, try harder next time.
>>
>>7379258
I'm not even trolling, I have a lot of YA stuff in my bookshelf.
>>
>>7379261
congratulations, you are aFunctional Retard.
>>
No, I'm a full adult.
>>
>>7379261
Hello reddit!
No, I don't. I used to read fanfiction which is probably worse but now I can't stand to look at any because even the best is so poorly written.
>>
>>7379289
I'm reading one right now and it's pretty damn decent. Sure, it's not /lit/ quality, but even /lit/books aren't /lit/ quality half the time, according to half the people here.

As someone who's read fanfiction for the last 13 years, I can tell you that the quality has gone up a lot, percentile wise. But I do agree with you, mostly.

I also think, however, that fanfiction gets a lot of flack it doesn't deserve. While a lot of it is bad, it's also a way a lot of people get into writing, which is always a good thing.
>>
Young adult means teenager. If you read YA novels after the age of 18 you're retarded in a completely literal sense.
>>
>>7379333
>I also think, however, that fanfiction gets a lot of flack it doesn't deserve. While a lot of it is bad, it's also a way a lot of people get into writing, which is always a good thing.
I don't understand what's so good about saturating the industry with talentless hacks.
>>
I like reading YA.
I'm writing a YA fantasy novel
>>
>>7379353
Calling a bunch of kids writing stories in their free time talentless hacks is pretty fucking stupid. They'll either get better or they won't. Just because EL James managed to get a book deal out of it, doesn't mean everybody is.
>>
>>7379350
You clearly haven't read any good YA novels.
>>
>>7379381
don't listen to other anons, anon.
How to be rich with /lit/:
1) Write YA
2) Market the book with booktubers
3) ???
4) Profit.

Or have some talent and networking skills.
>>
I have read poor translations of japanese light novels if that counts.
>>
>>7379251
Sure, just not contemporary ones. Kipling and Jack London are firmly young adult, but are actually interesting.
>>
File: cm-punk.jpg (277KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
cm-punk.jpg
277KB, 1536x2048px
anyone else feel like the idea of classifying books for certain age groups is kind of dumb.
It makes sense for babies and adults.
Like okay make dr.seusse books for little kids.

but the whole thing feels like a jew scheme to get teenagers disposable income.

In conclusion death to capitalism
>>
File: 327131724294.jpg (175KB, 700x375px) Image search: [Google]
327131724294.jpg
175KB, 700x375px
I've read quite a few, partly because some of my friends are into it and wanted me to read some, and partly because I wanted to see for myself if the genre was really that bad. Most of it was.

This was pretty good.
>>
File: 1395360112155.jpg (9KB, 252x244px) Image search: [Google]
1395360112155.jpg
9KB, 252x244px
>>7379628
>>
>>7379628
It's by reading level. Doesn't apply to avid readers- I mean, I was reading adult books when I was 8 and YA when I was 23. I guess you can also use it to describe the topic, like "A teenage girl falls in love with a werewolf" or "utopian future that's really dystopian, WOOOAAH! Also, LOVE!" but there are a lot of really good YA that isn't that. So, you know.
>>
>>7379251
I don't read anything. I just read summaries on Wikipedia and call everything shit.
>>
>>7379350
I'm 21, am I retarded? I started reading at 18 though.
>>
>>7380225
yes
>>
File: oQ2LdPQ.jpg (67KB, 500x763px) Image search: [Google]
oQ2LdPQ.jpg
67KB, 500x763px
>>7379251

Alan Garner is woefully under-appreciated
>>
I've read one or two that I liked. Read the book Feed if you want something light and scifi.
>>
>>7379628
Duh, it's bullshit. Teenagers can read adult books easily. My class has read Crime and Punishment when we were 17 and we loved it.
>>
>>7380234
>Weirdstone
I'm fucking there.
>>
File: Recruit_cover_big.jpg (12KB, 200x300px) Image search: [Google]
Recruit_cover_big.jpg
12KB, 200x300px
>>7380256
OP here. I agree. I read The Red and the Black at 15 for school.

I'm currently reading the Cherub Series and I love it.
>>
>>7380269
this plus Eragon plus Alex Rider plus some other YA from my country made my childhood. They got me into reading and I see little children reading today's equivalent and I know they're going to go on reading serious stuff.
>>
>>7380220
/lit/ the post
>>
If Earthsea cycle is YA then yes. I loved the whole series.
>>
>>7379251
No, but not because of snobbery. YA didn't appear after I was well into adulthood. So I never got the chance when it was age appropriate.
>>
>>7379251
I did, back when I was a young adult.

I enjoyed Artemis Fowl personally. Found the first two in my school library and ended up buying the rest that summer. House of the Scorpion was great too, and Keys to the Kingdom was good enough that I was still reading it years after graduation since he only wrote the first two or so books when I picked up the first one.

To this day though, I'd have to say that the Mortal Engines series is still one of my favorites. Maybe it's nostalgia, but I thoroughly enjoyed every bit of it. I steamed through the series senior year after checking out the first book on a whim since I had gone through every Asimov and Clarke title they had in stock and was looking for something from a new author.
>>
>>7379251
Trick question. All mainstream genre fiction is written at the YA reading level.
>>
>>7379251
I just read The Hard Goodbye by Frank Miller. I don't know If that counts but it was good. Also, Hunger Games is horrific shite.
>>
>>7381866
There is no "appropriate age" dude. I still read YA at 21 and I'm not gonna stop. Don't mind what people say.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.