[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The only reason why my girl is not as praised as other female

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

File: OConnor.jpg (222KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
OConnor.jpg
222KB, 1280x853px
The only reason why my girl is not as praised as other female writers is because she didn't write from a feminist perspective.
Prove me wrong.
>>
>>7371601
Basically. No hardline, lifelong virgin religious zealot is going to be the headliner in a university class dedicated to making girls feel good about their decision to pay tuition to party and talk about feminism.

O'Connor was extremely talented, but doesn't fit the narrative.
>>
>>7371601
you must not go to school in the south
>>
>>7371601
>not as praised
she's regarded as one of the best short story writers
>>
she's easily one of the 3-4 most praised American female writers of the last 100 years, idk what youre talking about not praised

deserves it, too
>>
>>7371814
OP here. Not in the third world aka out of the US. In Spain no one knows shit about her.
>>
She's one of the most celebrated American female writers of the twentieth century. You can't have a discussion of twentieth-century American fiction without her name coming up.

Just gotta dig a little deeper, Anon.
>>
>>7371823
It's probably because her novels are the weaker part of her work. She's also strongly southern-gothic, which means internationally she might be regarded as parochial. (Even though her "southern gothic" qualities are really expressions of her Catholocism. It's amazing how similar she is in places to Waugh, Sparck, Greeene, etc.) Her short stories are essential to any discussion of the American short story.
>>
>>7371619
actually she was the three most cited American authors in my writing workshops in college by both students and professors.

Hemingway
Raymond Carver
f. O'Connor.
>>
File: 1422655151669.jpg (209KB, 1024x753px) Image search: [Google]
1422655151669.jpg
209KB, 1024x753px
>>7371601
is there good female writers who are NOT catholics, or pious in general ?
>>
>>7372623
Eudora Welty if you want more southern lit. Whether she's religious or not, it doesn't really show up in a lot of her short stories.

>is there good female writers

ARE THERE GOOD...ARE...you're on a /lit/ board, scumbag.
>>
>>7372623
it's pretty much just dykes and catholics.
>>
>>7372623
I fucking hate that image. People who read don't have 15 books opened at the same time. And don't sleep with them. You aren't a fucking fetishist.

Anyway Le Guin and Woolf that I know of. Austen a shit.
But there are a lot of Catholic saints who were great writers, if you like mysticism. I perfer female saints to male in this regard.
>>
>>7371601

Flan Flan is the based queen of /lit/. This has long been established.

She is highly regarded among critics, which is really all that matters. All the feminazis who dismiss or despise here ultimately don't matter.
>>
>>7372654
>You aren't a fucking fetishist
You don't know me.
>>
>>7372649
Being a knowledgable Roman Catholic writer, or even a writer that is well versed in Catholic thought, is pretty much cheating IMHO. You have the richest depository of narrative symbolism, ethical thought and philosophy to draw upon that the western world (or the entire world, for that matter) has ever come up with.

Examples: Joyce, O'Connor, Baudelaire, countless others.
>>
File: LeastImpressive.png (251KB, 1190x906px) Image search: [Google]
LeastImpressive.png
251KB, 1190x906px
>>7372623
>Good female writers
>Believing this in 2015
>>
>>7373353
There's more good prose and magnificently drawn drama in one O'Connor short story than in everything you've written in your entire life, anon.
>>
>>7373371
>implying I'm male
>>
>>7373371
>There's more good prose and magnificently drawn drama in one O'Connor short story than in everything you've written in your entire life, anon.
Shame I can't repost the same image twice
>>
>>7373400
Not implying that you're male at all. Only implying that you're wrong. Which you are.
>>
File: 1438129446945.jpg (149KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1438129446945.jpg
149KB, 900x900px
>>7372891
>implying
Godqueen of /lit/ is Rachel Olan, author of The Open Window.
>>
>>7373489
>Rachel O'Chin
>>
>>7373496
TAKE IT BAK
>>
>>7373500
I might do if she can write well. Does she have nice prose?
>>
>>7373511
I can't find her on google. I think this is some sort of elaborate troll.
>>
>>7373537
Ohhhhh. Yeah I vaguely remember now. This was a meme quite a few months ago.
>>
>>7373353
>>>/pol/
>>>/r9k/
>>
>>7373405
you actually can but you've revealed yourself to be new to the forum. welcome to 4chan, faggot.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.