[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

"20th-Century American Women Novelists".

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4

File: Based Mom of Lit.jpg (50KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
Based Mom of Lit.jpg
50KB, 500x333px
I need some advice senpai.
All enrolled students are invited to
vote on an eighth novel as the ?students? choice? selection, which will be
required reading along with the above titles.
I have nominated twenty-three novels below, any one of which I would be happy
to include. Please consider these titles, and indicate your 1st, 2nd, and 3rd
place choice, and also which one title you wish to vote against. You can email
me a list clearly naming your top three (in order) and the one you?re voting to
eliminate.
Please indicate your top three choices (with a 1, 2, 3) and your least
preferred.

?Gertrude Stein, Three Lives (1909)
?Charlotte Perkins Gilman, Herland (1915)
?Edith Wharton, The Age of Innocence (1920)
?Anzia Yezierska, Bread Givers (1925)
?Willa Cather, Death Comes for the Archbishop (1927)
?Nella Larsen, Quicksand (1928)
?Pearl S. Buck, The Good Earth (1931)
?Zelda Fitzgerald, Save Me the Waltz (1932)
?Zora Neale Hurston, Jonah?s Gourd Vine (1934)
?Betty Smith, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (1943)
?Patricia Highsmith, The Price of Salt (1952)
?Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird (1960)
?Ursula K. LeGuin, The Left Hand of Darkness (1969)
?Joan Didion, Play It As It Lays (1970)
?Leslie Marmon Silko, Ceremony (1977)
?Alice Walker, The Color Purple (1982)
?Louise Erdrich, Love Medicine (1984, rev. 1993, rev. 2009)
?Lorrie Moore, Anagrams (1986)
?Amy Tan, The Joy Luck Club (1989)
?Julia Alvarez, How the Garcia Girls Lost Their Accents (1991)
?Gish Jen, Typical American (1991)
?Dorothy Allison, Bastard Out of Carolina (1992)
?E. Annie Proulx, The Shipping News (1993)
>>
I'd go with Stein, Le Guin and Didion.
>>
>>7345537
Stein, Buck and Didion.
>>
>>7345537
Joan Didion
Pearl Buck
Zora Neal Hurston

Why the fuck did you nominate The Joy Luck Club?
>>
>>7345570
I didn't senpai. This is all a decree down from the professor and powers that be.
What about the one I should nominate to be removed from the options? (that question goes out to everyone
>>
>>7345584
Le Guin
Cather
Wharton
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>7346246
Didn't mean to quote
>>
1. Le Guin
2. Didion
3. Silko

bottom
1. Proulx
2. Tan
3. Moore
>>
Just got home senpai. Thanks for the continuing help.
So far I'm getting a top four consensus of
Stein
Buck
Didion
Le Guin
Should I go for the best 3 out of 4 of these? If so which are they and in what order should I rank them?

Can I get some more nominations for the worst book of this list that I should vote to cast aside? Someone said They Joy Luck Club and I agree that does look pretty insufferable.
>>
>>7345537
>No Flannery O'Connor
>No Lydia Davis

All of the novels listed are fucking garbage anon, when you sum up 20th century American female novelists like that you can see why women are so fucking butthurt about MUH patriarchy, their contributions are fucking garbage and they're assblasted about it, but maybe if they wrote about something other than MUH oppression they would be taken more seriously, Flannery is a perfect example of that, it's amazing she isn't on that list.
>>
>>7346528
Just to add to this, vote for Bastard out of Carolina.
>>
>>7346528
Which one of these would you be most inclined to tell me to get rid of though? Like I said I'm leaning towards The Joy Luck Club.

I'm pretty sure O'Connor is one of the 7 books our Professor assigned us already and that's why she's note on the voting list senpai.

In general: Other than Based mom Flannery O'Connor who would you really hold up as a lit icon?
>>
>>7346568
not*
>>
This thread looks like a shitfest. Oh well hopefully OP gets through with whatever prevails and more posters hop in on this.
>>
>>7346410
Didion is incredibly trivial and self absorbed from what I've read. Only read her if you enjoy celebrity gossip and "lol drugs man."

Stein is a pillar of modernist poetry, so I wouldn't skip her in any survey of literature. Le Guin isn't incredibly significant, but that novel in particular is great.
>>
>>7345537
LeGuin
Allison
Hurston
>>
>>7346824
So for Didion is she something along the lines of the beats or counter-culture? Is it edgy in that sense or is it more of a Catcher in the Rye pathetic loner novel?

I'm getting more votes for Allison's Bastard out of Carolina but I'm still waiting for more data to pick top 3 and then figure out what order I'd like them in.

I still have very little information as to which book have to struck from the list.
>>
>>7346824
>>7346897
I haven't read Play it As it Lays - I know Didion as a nonfiction essayist (Slouching Toward Bethlehem is a fantastic collection) and I wouldn't call her self-absorbed at all. Introspective and insightful for sure, I would say the best thing to compare it to would be Hunter S. Thompson's less political writings or David Foster Wallace's nonfiction (which is his best stuff imo).
>>
>>7346926
Play it As it Lays seems like a really tripped out work that could be very magical in its own sense but I feel like I could see myself getting frustrated at such a pathetic protagonist.
>>
>>7346897
>I still have very little information as to which book have to struck from the list.

I haven't read many of the other ones but I hated The Color Purple.

Le Guin I imagine would be a nice change of pace on a literature course, and she is legitimately a great writer. I have heard that Erdrich is one of the best living American authors so I'd be interested in reading her in your place. And Stein might benefit more from being studied in a classroom environment than the others on the list.
>>
Hey F A M let's rescue this thread. I don't know why 4chan has been editing words you type in lately either.
>>
>>7345537
Where the FUCK is Carson McCullers?
>>
Bump. This was a good thread for a while.
>>
>>7348677
Don't ask me F A M, ask my professor desu.
>>
>>7348680
I typed in T B H. Why the frick is 4chan changing our posts?!?
>>
>>7348682
keks
>>
File: 1444693935145.jpg (15KB, 324x291px) Image search: [Google]
1444693935145.jpg
15KB, 324x291px
>>7345537
>Women
>literature
>>
>>7348690
I don't get why some people feel so smug about their ignorance to be frank with you, family.
>>
>>7348690
>Neanderthal
>You
>>
>>7350399
do you have a bf?
>>
>>7351112
I'm a male who does not have a boyfriend, to be perfectly honest with you family.
>>
>>7350399
Being related to the neanderthals is good, the greatest peoples to ever exist (i.e. Europeans) have the very highest percentage of neanderthal DNA while sub-saharan negroes have none.
>>
Stein
Allison
Hurston

>having a diversity list without Toni Cade Bambara
>>
File: BloomFacepalm.jpg (2KB, 125x82px) Image search: [Google]
BloomFacepalm.jpg
2KB, 125x82px
>>7351925
>Toni Cade Bambara
>Social Activist
"I would prefer not to", to be perfectly frank and honest with you family.
>>
>>7351986
your lossy format.
>>
>>7351996
my lossy format?
>>
>>7345537
Stein
Wharton or LeGuin
Fitzgerald

Eliminate Walker
>>
>>7353788
This guy has a good idea.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.