[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who are your favorite writers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5

File: Joseph_Conrad.png (516KB, 506x748px) Image search: [Google]
Joseph_Conrad.png
516KB, 506x748px
Not the same as favorite novelists or storytellers, but authors you'd read just for the enjoyment of their writing.
Four of my favorites: George Eliot, Joseph Conrad, Thomas Wolfe, Salinger
>>
>>7336754
Salinger's prose is probably his most obvious failing
>>
>>7336754
Conrad is one of those guys that's too elusively unique to even imitate.
>>
>>7337076
>Conrad
>unique
my sides, this is almost as cringeworthy as the ending to Heart of Darkness
>>
Faulkner and Hemingway
>>
Faulkner, John Hawkes, William Gaddis, William H. Gass, Gertrude Stein and William T. Vollman.
>>
File: 1405472130982.gif (957KB, 500x418px)
1405472130982.gif
957KB, 500x418px
>>7337095
>Gertrude Stein
>>
Faulkner and DFW.
>>
File: 1437944147976s.jpg (2KB, 125x93px) Image search: [Google]
1437944147976s.jpg
2KB, 125x93px
>>7337095
>Gertrude Stein
>>
File: image.jpg (300KB, 960x895px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
300KB, 960x895px
Nabokov, Faulkner, Brautigan, Wallace
>>
>>7337084
What's Reddit doing on 4chan?
>>
File: milana wink gif.gif (2MB, 379x452px) Image search: [Google]
milana wink gif.gif
2MB, 379x452px
>>7337095

Wow patrish
>>
>>7337095
P good, love me some William G. Where should I start with Hawkes?
>>
>>7337384
Berserk
>>
>>7337102
>>7337121
Say what you want about the gal, the Making of Americans is a beautiful tragedy. It is one of the few books that I enjoy that is an artistic failure but somehow immensely satisfying to read.

>>7337384
You can read Hawkes chronologically, that's how I started. The Cannibal is a good starting place. If not, The Lime Twig or Beetle Leg. Save Blood Oranges for when you are more familiar with his prose.
>>
>>7337095
>Gertrude Stein
Top Brekkek.
>>
>>7336754
could anyone tell me where to start with conrad? could you list in order which to read
>>
Fernando Pessoa
Thomas Bernhard
Arthur Schopenhauer
Robert Walser
Nelson Rodrigues
Knut Hamsun
John Fante
Aristotle
Michel de Montaigne
>>
>>7337591
Start with the Heart of Darkness.
I read Youth too, a short story of his, and Lord Jim, a novel. I liked them all, but Jim was not as good as the Heart.

Gotta read Nostromo too.
>>
>>7337204
Haven't read the meme yet, but I like the others.
>>
>>7337581
Who's Gertrude Stein?
>>
>>7337581
Be nice to gertie
>>7337637
She was a modernist writer, loved as an expat and was intimately involved with all kinds of literature and art. Picasso painted her and Hemingway encouraged her to publish The Making of Americans, which Ford Maddox Ford eventually did (and regretted). It got picked up by Dalkey Archive a few years ago.

Unfortunately most of her stuff is unbearably pretentious and some of the worst parts of modernism. I myself don't know why I enjoy reading her writing; something about the reptitive nature of her sentence structure is very aesthetically pleasing to read. Pick up Autobiography or read some of her published letters to see what I'm talking about.
>>
>>7337095
Patrician taste
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.