[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Unless you make a habit of discussing what you have read frequently,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: o-MEMOERY-SLEEP-570.jpg (70KB, 570x412px) Image search: [Google]
o-MEMOERY-SLEEP-570.jpg
70KB, 570x412px
Unless you make a habit of discussing what you have read frequently, reading that is not done for pleasure is quite clearly a waste of time. You will forget just about everything about the book you are reading in about three years. And I mean everything, it will be as if you never even heard of the name. Go ahead and recall fine details from a book you read more than three years ago that you did not need to study for school or for some other work. This effect compounds itself with the more books you read

This is especially true for contents upon which you have little interest, or have no relevance to your life (neither of which are conducive to storage in LTM). If you are reading a book on say, Marxism this is fine as Marxism is very much something you will encounter regularly. But if it is regarding the hermeneutics of Wittgenstein? Forget about it

So put down that dry philosophic tome you are currently forcing yourself through to look smart for /lit/ and just have fun. And remember, life is short
>>
>>7334192
Life is very long.

my captcha for this was cactus
>>
>>7334192
>You will forget just about everything about the book you are reading in about three years

this is how you recognize quality books. they're the ones you remember

I'm sorry you're too pleb for this
>>
Fuck off
>>
>just have fun
You may look like a human being, OP, but you are actually a highly developed type of cancer.
>>
>>7334192
so what do you recommend to do?
>>
>>7334192
The problem with this reasoning is that it's tacitly rationalistic and operates with only that which is within reach to the present ego.
The human mind isn't like a robot in which you can insert a command, say the title of a three years dusty book, and have the entirety of the registered content pouring out. The mind cannot be entirely controlled in such a logical manner because when it really comes down to it the mind is not logical in its nature. Even if you've just finished the book your recall of it will be off, and were you to attempt to recall the contents of the book in the same environment as you read it you would tend to recall more.
The extracted knowledge or insight from the book is ultimately not recalled in words but in sounds, imagery and emotional combinations.
>>
>>7334192
“I cannot remember the books I've read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

A year ago I've read Steinbeck's "Grapes of Wrath". I don't remember the names of the character, the family's name or even how many there where and who died or got lost. Not being american, I don't remember what state the "dustbowl" they fled from was. I can't recall to what extent it justifies criminal behaviour when faced with suppression and exploitation. I can't recall a single quote from the book, and yet it shaped my expecations and my outlook on life and what way too many people call "poverty" these days.

>>7334650
Kinda lost me on "tacitly rationalistic", but I agree with the parts of your post I understand.
>>
>>7334731
Great points. It's not the details that matter; that's mere wiki level trivia. It's the way these books change how you think and live, which is subconscious and will stick with you long after you've forgotten character names and plot points.
>>
I re-read my favourite book yearly. I hope to one day be capable of creating a paragraph by paragraph summary of it from memory.

If a book is good, I'll be able to remember at least one or two scenes well, and your subconscious "remembers" a lot more than you think. You'd be surprised what kind of stuff floats up when the right combination of circumstances happens.
>>
File: 1446514972001.jpg (345KB, 900x675px) Image search: [Google]
1446514972001.jpg
345KB, 900x675px
But I regularly hold imaginary dialogues in my mind where I discuss and explain what I have recently read to a variety of characters in a variety of situations.
>>
>>7334868
And which book would that be? Not trying to bash you, just interested since it must be a good book.
Pls don't hipster out on me.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.