[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

anyone here have attention deficit disorder and find it hard

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: 1429836456221.jpg (98KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
1429836456221.jpg
98KB, 720x540px
anyone here have attention deficit disorder and find it hard to maintain focus while reading?
>>
I don't know if I do or not. I use all these little tricks to stay focused, like tapping my foot, playing a guitar (unplugged), walking around, etc. Ever since I was little I've always read books during the sermons at church in order to quiet that crazy part of my brain. Just having two things going works pretty well.

There's also just a flat out discipline sort of thing. I don't want to be medicated, because I see what people are like off their meds. You have to be more disciplined than your average person.
>>
>>7320518
Yeah, I'm not diagnosed, but I'm pretty sure I have it, and I've always had trouble staying focused while reading except with the most absolutely gripping material.
>>
Try listening to white noise through earphones. Simplynoise.com works well enough. It really soothes my brain and helps me get into the reading groove.
>>
>>7320518

Concentration can be trained like a muscle. Try meditation.

My slightly controversial opinion is that ADD is politically correct newspeak for dumb. If you can't concentrate without the aid of extremely powerful psychostimulants, you don't have a condition. You're just dumb. The explosion of people incapable of concentrating for more than a few minutes at a time coincides nicely with large-scale behavioural changes, where many people spend most of their waking time in front of a computer screen, getting instant gratification in a constant stream.

Try changing your behaviour and sticking with it.
>>
>>7320893
> Ever since I was little I've always read books during the sermons at church

wat
>>
>>7320924
>My slightly controversial opinion is that ADD is politically correct newspeak for dumb. If you can't concentrate without the aid of extremely powerful psychostimulants, you don't have a condition.

I always did extremely well in school despite having a horrid attention span. Intelligence isn't synonymous with discipline, anon.

I'm surprised by this argument. It's rather common, and seems to stem from a misplaced sense of how psychology actually works. If someone is "just misbehaving" to the point that it interferes with functioning, that's basically what a mental disorder is. The fact that people with ADD respond differently to stimulants strongly suggest it has a biological basis.
>>
Related: whenever I read, I unintentionally skip words to get to the end or I jump to another sentence. It pisses me off every time I try to study or read something, anyone know if I'm just a huge faggot? Or do I have ADD? Srs question
>>
Does anyone else have a made up disorder they use an excuse to be lazy and unfocused?
>>
>>7320518
Yeah it's rough but like other posters have said, instead of bitching about it I just try extra hard to read. Like anyone else struggling with reading, find ways to make it easy. Background noise might help, or hurt.
>>
>>7321004
Sure. Mental retardation also has a "biological basis". Being dumb is a symptom of retardation.

That being said, I have ADD (unmedicated) and tested at the top of my class for language ability through middle school, then at the top of my school when I was a teenager. Ultimately I dropped out the second I turned eighteen. I agree with what you're trying to convey with your post that ADD =/= stupid, but it does mean having absolutely horrible habits of irrational actions and having poor decision making abilities.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.