[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Please be nice to this pleb :c

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6

File: floyd2.jpg (101KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
floyd2.jpg
101KB, 640x640px
Ok, uhm... Hi /lit/!

I'm new to this board, and the reason I come to you is because I want to develop a good reading habit. My gf and I want to start this "book club" kind of thing, where we read the same book and we discuss it while we make weekly progress on it.

I would like your opinion and recommendations, we're both light readers, meaning we've read books before, but they're mostly your typical commercial books, you know Harry Potter, DaVinci Code, Memoirs of a Geisha, World War Z, you get the idea.

I did browse the wiki, but I don't know where to start, which is why I come to you in seek of help
>>
>>7316824
Start with the Greeks.
>>
Read Steinbeck
Of Mice and Men would be a good start
>>
>>7316824
Start with Don Quijote, the first bona fide novel. If you can't handle that, you're not /lit/erary enough.
>>
Murder your girlfriend and then kill yourself
>>
Read literature on topics you already find interesting
>>
>>7316859

Hey, at least we're trying to be better :c
>>
>>7316824
you sound like a fag, dyou have a dick?
>>
File: Novellas_1.3.jpg (807KB, 1988x2085px) Image search: [Google]
Novellas_1.3.jpg
807KB, 1988x2085px
>>7316824
Pick something from here.
>>
>>7316882
I like this guy

just do like a wikipedia search on whatever you look up on the wiki and if it sounds cool then read it
>>
File: Novellas2.jpg (3MB, 2955x2308px) Image search: [Google]
Novellas2.jpg
3MB, 2955x2308px
>>7316915
Or here.
>>
>>7316835
this
>>
File: crime_punishment.jpg (580KB, 978x1554px) Image search: [Google]
crime_punishment.jpg
580KB, 978x1554px
>>7316824
If you are serious about this, start with this book. Btw you'll likely never read anything better.
>>
>>7316845
LOL that's /lit/core, he can't handle the shit
go for Hesse, Demian and Siddharta are good starts
>>
>>7316915
The Dreams at the Witch's House of HP Lovecraft is even creepier and scary
>>
File: hegel.jpg (15KB, 228x346px) Image search: [Google]
hegel.jpg
15KB, 228x346px
>>7316824
>>
>>7316835
>>7316845
>>7316882
>>7316915
>>7316917
>>7316918
>>7316923

Thank you kindly, all of you, we hope that we can join you as soon as we're ready. It feels good to see there's nice people here, willing to lend a hand.
>>
>>7316835
Seriously this. Read even a single play or something, it will not take long and you'll satisfy /lit/.
>>
>>7316949

this t b h f a m or of course you could read my diary
>>
>>7316930
do you really want to put the man off reading
>>
>>7317014

I really don't get the rudeness, I am asking humbly and earnestly. and I don't know what does /his/ has to do with all this.

The reason I chose to make a post is because I preffer a more personal opinion
>>
>>7317023
The sticky isn't a product of some alien race. The sticky has our opinions. Stop shitting up /lit/ with worthless threads.
When you have read a book you want to discuss, make a thread.
>>
>>7317014
Naw anon, he is asking about books not phil, he can stay.

If anyone asking abstract shit that needs to be directed to /his/.

The thread is legal, but it's like the OP wants to be spoonfed and requires us to tell him what to read and when to do it.
>>
>>7317043
I find hard to believe that you're all just some hive mind reaching constant consensus. I want the not so popular opinions as well.

>>7317065
Sorry if I'm too stupid, really, I think I was clear on my underwhelming skills as a reader from the very start.
>>
>>7317082
the sticky has obscure books too that hardly anyone reads, it has links to lists of books.
this thread is worthless, we made the sticky to avoid threads like these, but yet everyday someone like you will make a dumb thread like this and whine about wanting "personal opinions". I don't understand why humanity is so stupid.
>>
>>7316840

This. Steinbeck is a very good choice as a stepping stone into literature. Mice and Men is a fine choice. If you want something a bit more lighthearted, go for Cannery Row, Sweet Thursday or the Wayward Bus. If you aren't daunted by their size, try Grapes of Wrath or East of Eden. Grapes of Wrath is somewhat bleak and heavy in terms of themes, but is also immensely beautiful and an excellent work of literature. East of Eden is, in my opinion, his best work, and encapsulates his greatest qualities.

If you're going to go full meme and start with the Greeks, the Odyssey is an amazing and awesome work, and it is actually easily accessible. It is also a foundational and seminal piece of western cultural canon.
>>
File: 1439311660808.jpg (418KB, 747x1417px) Image search: [Google]
1439311660808.jpg
418KB, 747x1417px
i'm surprised this hasn't been posted yet.

a lot of it is part of required reading in highschool, but i'm certain that there are some that you two did not read.
>>
>>7316924
this post is bait i hope
>>
OP if you're still here you should know all the suggestions you've gotten so far are in bad faith. You've come to /lit/ at a very bad time, for one reason or another we've got a lot of /v/-tier angry underaged shitposters this week. Related to /his/ somehow I bet.

Anyway I'd start with something from here. >>7317614
That other stuff is really hard to appreciate if you're just getting into literature and it won't be enjoyable.
>>
>>7317109
having a bad day, anon?
>>
>>7316824
Read more. Everyone always asks how to be a better reader, and there is no better way than simply reading more. Replace your r&r time with more reading.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.