[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Reading this now, loving it.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

File: lates.jpg (36KB, 301x500px) Image search: [Google]
lates.jpg
36KB, 301x500px
Reading this now, loving it.
>>
Looks gay. What's so good about it.
>>
Too long
Too angsty
>>
>dear diary, today I told /lit/ my feelings
>>
>>6323708
Give Glen Cook a go if you haven't.
>>
>>6323708
isn't this series hard to get into?
>>
>>6325849
Its way smarter than Brandon Sanderson and George RR Martin
>>
>>6325849
It has that reputation, as it drops you in the middle of things, but honestly, if you've read a bit of fantasy I'd think one ought to do fine. Just go with the flow.
>>
Fuck off Cheff.
Stop reading "Game of Thrones but more autistic" the series.
>>
>>6326571
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damning_with_faint_praise
>>
>>6326571
how so?
>>6326610
how much fantasy experience would one need? also, what would a be an easier book and a harder book in the fantasy genre?
>>
>>6327582
I didn't mean to imply that you require experience, just that you'd have little trouble with Malazan if you've already spent a bit of time reading stories in made up worlds. Malazan is only "hard" because it is epic in scale (lots of characters, large-scale conflict, long-running history behind the world), and Erikson starts the series in the middle of things and doesn't stop to explain the setting in detail. It gets more detailed as you go forward, so you ought to do fine regardless.
>>
>>6327678
Ahh, so this is heavily Epic Fantasy then? Are there good books in this genre that don't drag out for a several novels?
>>
File: post-9890-1239970277.jpg (362KB, 800x474px) Image search: [Google]
post-9890-1239970277.jpg
362KB, 800x474px
I just finished the series not long ago, was good you have to love anything with characters like Tehol, Iskaral Pust, Karsa Orlong, and of course fucking Kruppe

>you will never be a marine in the Malazan army

Why even live.
>>
>>6327789
Yes, it is.

Do you mean in the epic fantasy sub-genre, or in fantasy generally? In epic fantasy you have a hard time finding something shorter than a trilogy. "The Worm Ouroboros" comes to mind as a standalone that I think fits well into epic fantasy. Then there are some series, e.g., Kearney's 5-volume "Monarchies of God" which would actually fit into ~1½ Malazan/WoT/ASoIaF novels. Trilogies are not infrequent.

Fantasy in general has plenty of standalones.
>>
The Book of the New sun is 4 novels, seemed like the whole series was the size of one book of malazan to me.
>>
>>6327851
>The Book of the New sun is 4 novels
No it is not. It's one novel in 4 volumes. Dividing it in 4 is just to make it physically easier to publish dead-tree books. (There are dead-tree editions with only two volumes, and ebooks often come as just one file.)
>>
>>6327841
Actually, I meant Epic Fantasy, so thanks for those recs anon. Also:

>Fantasy in general has plenty of standalones.

I recently read Weaveworld, American Gods, and Blindsight; thoroughly enjoyed all of them. Any suggestions for standalones based off that?
>>
>>6327906
OK. You should be able to find quite a few trilogies then, if you dislike the really long series!

> I recently read Weaveworld, American Gods, and Blindsight; thoroughly enjoyed all of them. Any suggestions for standalones based off that?

Sorry, not really. I haven't read any Barker, wasn't terribly impressed with American Gods (I did like Neverwhere, though), but I did think Blindsight was a heck of a good book. The nearest recommendation to that in fantasy isn't a standalone, but Watts's fellow Canadian author R. Scott Bakker's Prince of Nothing epic fantasy trilogy (and which, in turn, is part of an unfinished larger series by Bakker). Also, you know Watts wrote a semi-sequel called Echopraxia?

These aren't tailored to you, but Guy Gavriel Kay (e.g., The Lions of Al-Rassan), Tim Powers (e.g., The Anubis Gates, Declare), China Miéville (e.g., The Scar), K. J. Parker (e.g., The Folding Knife. Also, fuck yeah KJP) have lots of good standalones. Barry Hughart's Bridge of Birds, while part of a three book "series", effectively reads like a standalone too.

I'd also highly recommend something by Jack Vance. Tales of the Dying Earth for example; specifically, the two Cugel books within it.
>>
>>6328033
>Echopraxia
I've heard of it, but wasn't the general consensus that is was pretty sub par?

Also, thanks for that list anon, it'll be very useful. What are the odds of getting caught downloading an ebook from BookZZ? Sorry if that's a stupid question, I'm a bit paranoid and just started reading again.
>>
>>6328172
Well, perhaps I wouldn't put it quite on Blindsight's level, but I thought it was very solid stuff.

Who knows for sure, but I doubt publishers have the resources or interest to target specific ebook pirates rather than the distribution site itself (if even that).

Welcome back, and happy reading!
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.