[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Grammar

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: l-BivCeR99QvVuF4Qf.jpg (96KB, 480x650px) Image search: [Google]
l-BivCeR99QvVuF4Qf.jpg
96KB, 480x650px
Hello.

Is it grammatically possible to amend a "dangling participle" with a preposition? For example, "when" in the following sentence:

When running, I think nothing.
>>
Dangling participles are a meme made up by perscriptivists.
>>
>>10033726
yeah, i was gonna say don't hand in a freshmen year essay with that shit but otherwise do what you want
>>
>>10033726
>>10033731
The fact that you condone and tolerate the degeneration of grammatical rules is sad, and enraging, but regardless, you're not helping with my conundrum —I actually care about grammar, which is why I am asking this.
>>
>>10033711
if the sentence sounds awkward don't use it
and the sentence sounds awkward
>>
>>10033787
>sentence perfectly balanced around the subject
>awkward

kys
>>
>>10033794
It sounds really awkward to me too. You shouldn't disregard this advice.
>>
>>10033816
you sound really stupid to me, you probably watch anime and think it's good
>>
>>10033781
>grammatical rules
Faggot, what? Grammatical rules aren't real. The only grammatical rule is that whatever you say must be intelligible for someone else to be a language. There are patterns and common conventions, sure, but that doesn't translate to hard rules. Perscriptivists made up rules with little thought about how people actually talk and communicate ideas. If some shit grammarian a hundred years ago encouraged dangling participles, double negatives, and use of the passive voice your whole idea of grammar would be completely different and still equally wrong. Perscriptivists make me sick.
>>
>>10033834
>Perscriptivist

u keep saying that... i don't see how anyone with any morphological awareness could miss that it is PREscriptivists, which is to say they PRESCRIBE grammar rules, otherwise i agree with u, u quite right
>>
>>10033834
also the thing that really makes english prescriptive grammar really stupid is that many of the rules are lifted from latin despite the fact that english is not a latin but germanic language so they are in fact wrong
>>
>>10033847
>>10033856
I'm drunk and phone posting so shit happens. Prescriptivists have whack ideas about grammar. They took the idea that double negatives in math make a positive and applied it to grammar but double negatives intensifies or underlines an idea.
>>
Bump.

Don't disappoint me, /lit/.
>>
>>10033978
Alright fucker, 1) when isn't a prepositional phrase 2) dangling participles aren't fixed by them since the issue is with the subject 3) your sentence sucks
>>
>>10034012
*preposition
>>
>>10033834
Grammatical rules is not real! Grammar are whatever I wants to it be!
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.