[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Norwegian litterature

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

File: de-fire-store.png (94KB, 320x189px) Image search: [Google]
de-fire-store.png
94KB, 320x189px
What are the must-reads among Norwegian literature? Is Ibsen worth reading?
>>
per petterson
>>
>>10031693
Ibsen and Hamsun. That's it. Knausgaard's books are too long and boring for me to tell you whether or not he's good.
>>
Heimskringla. It was written by an Icelander but it's about Norwegian kings.
>>
>>10031706
I actually have that book, is it any good outside of being a document of history?
>>
Knut Nærum is mandatory
>>
>>10031693
>Is Ibsen worth reading?
No. Ibsen is good, but his plays are shallow and political.

Don't read anything before Hamsun, and avoid Norwegian neo-realism.

>>10031803
You have to go back
>>10031699
>Knausgaard
Wew
>>
>>10031921
>political
what is wrong with this?
>>
>>10031933
>Ibsen demonstrating his opinions on marriage, by describing the boring and unfulfilling lives of bourgeoisie women
>>
>>10031978
I agree with you on this matter, I thought you were of the opinion that political literature in general was bad.
>>
>>10031978
>>10032021
Well I disagree. His plays aren't "wah, I'm a bored housewife" for 2 hours as some high school-student may take away. They're layered, exploring portrayals of marginalised people. I know of noone else who writes female characters as well. He captures the essence of who we are as humans - beyond gender boundaries.

Yes, you should read Ibsen, OP. Start with Hedda Gabler. Someone said she's the female equivalent of Hamlet, in terms of complex character. I agree.
>>
if Ibsen is food enough for Joyce to learn Norwegian and write fan letters then he's gonna enough for the pseuds on /lit/
>>
>>10031693
What about Lars Saabye Christensen? Is he any good?
>>
>>10032348
>Beatles
Are you 15 years old?
>>
nei fyfaen gutta, hvorfor har vi så forferdelige forfattere?
>>
Det har vi ikke, men jeg kommer ikke til å fortelle deg hva som er bra.
>>
>>10032043
>He captures the essence of who we are as humans - beyond gender boundaries.
Hah! Ibsen writes critique of society. It does not matter how he does it. His plays are one dimensional and opinionated.
>>
>>10032370
Norge har aldri hatt kultur
>>
How's the Brian Johnston translation of Ibsen's plays for Norton?
>>
File: KVA I ALL VERDA ER DET EG LES.jpg (46KB, 476x476px) Image search: [Google]
KVA I ALL VERDA ER DET EG LES.jpg
46KB, 476x476px
>>10031921
>Don't read anything before Hamsun, and avoid Norwegian neo-realism.
Fy faen!
>>
>>10032738
In general what are some good translations of these Norwegian works/writers?
>inb4 "learn the language"
>spending any amount of time learning Nord languages
>>
>>10031693
Umm sweetie, people can hear your dog whistling from a mile away.

Norway is not a race or culture. Having pride in being Nordic is inherently racist. It's the same as wanting "state's rights" or "law and order."
>>
>>10034349
get out /pol/
>>
>>10032444
this is perhaps the most pseud post I've ever read
>>
>>10032477
hvor kommer dette memet fra?
>>
File: Dag_Solstad[1].jpg (808KB, 1504x1763px) Image search: [Google]
Dag_Solstad[1].jpg
808KB, 1504x1763px
Leave Karl Ove to me.
>>
File: 201092275.png (250KB, 340x436px) Image search: [Google]
201092275.png
250KB, 340x436px
>But the stars twinkle above our heads, the sun shines, the grass grows and the earth, yes, the earth, it swallows all life and eradicates all vestige of it, spews out new life in a cascade of limbs and eyes, leaves and nails, hair and tails, cheeks and fur and guts, and swallows it up again. And what we never really comprehend, or don't want to comprehend, is that this happens outside us, that we ourselves have no part in it, that we are only that which grows and dies, as blind as the waves in the sea are blind.

So this...is the power...of Norwegian literature...really made me a thinken.
>>
>>10032410
>it's not my job to educate you
>>
Jon Fosse
>>
>>10034643
Where do you start with him?
>>
>>10034674
His novels, Aliss at the Fire. I'm not sure about his plays.
>>
>>10031693
Sigrid Undset.
>>
>>10034453
I just read the first two pages and the paragraphs sandwiching the part you cited. Terrible. Why was this rubbish even translated?
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.