[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Story of an Autodidact

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: linearbmichaelventris.jpg (41KB, 500x223px) Image search: [Google]
linearbmichaelventris.jpg
41KB, 500x223px
"Autodidactism is a waste of time," they said.

"Only academics make contributions to fields," they said.

"You're never going to uncover the past as an architect," they said.

"Linear B is indecipherable... it's a fool's errand," they also said.

Well, I proved those complacent and incompetent fools wrong. I, Michael Ventris, uncovered the language used by the Greeks during the age of Achilles and Odysseus. I didn't have formal training, a fancy degree, or a large grant/fortune; only my blood, sweat, tears, and passion generated my work. And I literally did it in my spare time, a side job to my career as an architect.

Don't let anybody tell you that a disciplined, intelligent, hard-working, creative, and wise autodidact can't outsmart academia. I paid for this humiliation of deep academia with my life so you wouldn't have to.
>>
>>10027900
cool
>>
>>10027900
what does it say?
>>
>>10027900
WE DON'T NEED NO EDUCATION
>>
>>10028198
this
(dummy text for avoiding be banned)
>>
Michael Ventris was actually pretty pretty amazing. Oddly enough, the discoverer of Crete, Arthur Evans, was also an autodidact:
>In 1840, instead of going to college, John started work in the mill owned by his maternal uncle, John Dickinson.
>John maintained his status as an officer in the company, which eventually became John Dickinson Stationery, but also became distinguished for his pursuits in numismatics, geology and archaeology. His interest in geology came from an assignment by the company to study the diminishing water resources in the area with a view toward protecting the company from lawsuits. The mill consumed large amounts of water, which was also needed for the canals. He became an expert and a legal consultant.[10] However, collecting was endemic to the family; his father and grandfather both had done it. He was more interested in the stone-age artifacts he was discovering while mapping stream beds. As Arthur grew older, he was allowed to assist John in looking for artifacts and later classifying the collection.

And so was Heinrich Schliemann, the guy who proved that the Homeric era was not legendary but was actually historical, and discovered the historical cities of the heroes of the Iliad:
>At age 14, after leaving Realschule, Heinrich became an apprentice at Herr Holtz's grocery in Fürstenberg. He later told that his passion for Homer was born when he heard a drunkard reciting it at the grocer's.[4] He laboured for five years, until he was forced to leave because he burst a blood vessel lifting a heavy barrel.[5] In 1841, Schliemann moved to Hamburg and became a cabin boy on the Dorothea, a steamer bound for Venezuela. After twelve days at sea, the ship foundered in a gale. The survivors washed up on the shores of the Netherlands.[6] Schliemann became a messenger, office attendant, and later, a bookkeeper in Amsterdam.
>By 1858, Schliemann was 36 years old and wealthy enough to retire. In his memoirs, he claimed that he wished to dedicate himself to the pursuit of Troy.
>He was an advocate of the historicity of places mentioned in the works of Homer and an archaeological excavator of Hissarlik, now presumed to be the site of Troy, along with the Mycenaean sites Mycenae and Tiryns.

>Along with Arthur Evans, Schliemann was a pioneer in the study of Aegean civilization in the Bronze Age. The two men knew of each other, Evans having visited Schliemann's sites. Schliemann had planned to excavate at Knossos but died before fulfilling that dream. Evans bought the site and stepped in to take charge of the project, which was then still in its infancy.
>>
>>10028290
>Heinrich Schliemann
fuck that guy
he literally dynamited iliadic troy into oblivion
>>
>>10028520
It's still there, dude. I've been.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.