[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Culture Series - Iain Banks

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: LooktoWindward.jpg (365KB, 1200x1800px) Image search: [Google]
LooktoWindward.jpg
365KB, 1200x1800px
Just finished this book. What is /lit/'s thoughts on the Culture Series? I rather enjoyed this book. I have already ordered Consider Phelbas with the intent to read that one next.

One thing I've realized is I love megastructures like Orbitals and other such gigantic structures. Am thinking about purchasing Ringworld by Larry Niven. Thoughts?
>>
File: Consider-Phlebas.jpg (173KB, 1000x563px) Image search: [Google]
Consider-Phlebas.jpg
173KB, 1000x563px
>>10025634
Banks was a god, and the only people to deny this are attention-seeking baiting shitposters.
>>
The Winter Storm is a great name for a privateer.
>>
Enjoyed Phlebas and the Player of Games, though I don't rate them THAT highly. Good but didn't really leave a lasting impression on me. Also read Surface Detail, a friend left it at my house, and, fucking hell, that book is disturbing. The whole digital hell thing and its detailed description is just gross and depressing, not subtle, not clever, just detailled and abhorrent. Would not recommend, but then I also don't watch gore videos or modern horror films, so maybe its just me.
>>
He's great. If you enjoy what you've read I'd say just go through he whole culture series. It's the best realised future sci-fi world I'm aware of, although I'm not a big sci-fi fan to be honest.

Think his extrapolations of what a far future "human" type civilisation could be is both nuanced and optimistic. It's one I'd like to live in.

Also the AI and ship stuff is all amazing. Love him.
>>
>>10025634
Player of Games was lots of fun. The protagonist was interesting, as was the new world where the story takes place. I would highly recommend reading that one too.
>>
>>10025634
>Am thinking about purchasing Ringworld by Larry Niven. Thoughts?
Definitely.
The whole Known Space universe is amazing. Other than Ringworld some of my favourites are Protector, the Flatlander collection, and A Gift From Earth.
>>
I've tried a few of the culture bovels and mostly aborted them 50-100 pages in; too much self-indulgence. You can tell he didnt want to be writing sci-fi. However I LOVEDF Escession and its one of mt favorite novels in any genre, so yeh I 'can see both sides,' im neutral like a journalist
>>
>>10027248
>im neutral like a journalist

> shits on them anyway

you must be a fox journalist
>>
>>10025650
Why did they change covers from this to the one they have now?
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.