[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Nathaniel Hawthorne

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: hawtor.jpg (168KB, 686x385px) Image search: [Google]
hawtor.jpg
168KB, 686x385px
Do you like him, my friends? Do you respect his work?
For me, he's a fucking genius. I wrote a master's thesis about his approach to religion and oppression.
>>
>>10022975
I do. Read through his work some time ago and was a little stunned that of his novels his clear best is House of the Seven Gables, the one I expected least of, the meme book of my grandparents, and yet it's unquestionably so even though Blithedale read as if written years after it actually was, and was fun to read. One of the greats, but like Henry Adams or R.H. Dana ridiculously neglected. Except Scarlet A.
>>
>>10023283
what about Marble Faun? I have never seen a better tribute to the city of Rome (and to any city)
>>
>>10023420
I don't think H was capable of writing anything bad. But despite great moments.. (you) know where I'm going with this....
>>
>>10022975
I've only read the most famous one - Scarlet Letter. It was pretty monotonous, predictable, and there were attention-seeking metaphors, symbols.
It was not very artistic and creative, it was like he had been doing some chore while writing it. Something like Dickens.
>>
I liked his short stories. Young Goodman Brown, Feathertop, The Minister's Black Veil.

I had to read The Scarlett Letter back in high school and thought it was a chore. Maybe I ought to re-read it? Maybe I'll appreciate it more now that I'm older?
>>
>>10024763
You're obviously some wog who read it in translation. Get out of this thread. Hawthorne is a genius.
>>
>>10025089
What does translation have to do with the issues I mentioned? I read it in English by the way.
There's a different between a genius and artist.
The metaphors are too direct, too shallow, and it's like he tries to tell the reader "look at this symbol, see what I mean by it, it's supposed to be a symbol?"

You literally didn't elaborate anything.
>>
I like all four of his novels and am currently reading the incomplete one. Had a retarded "professor" who assured me that only The Scarlet Letter was worth reading because she saw prynn as a proto feminist
Dumb bitch lol
>>10024763
>something like dickens
Lol, why even post here?
>>
>>10025331
Your censure is pretty empty. What did you "predict?" The big pieces of the plot? What's important is the psychological movement of it.
>>
>>10025806
>mfw pearl and hester's husband are better feminists than hester
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.