[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hankering to be able to read in French

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: Les-Miserables.jpg (358KB, 1108x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Les-Miserables.jpg
358KB, 1108x1600px
I've this nagging feeling that if I don't learn French, my life is gonna be a waste. Well, suppose I finally decide on this time-consuming endeavour, what could possibly go wrong as a consequence? Is the necessary level for reading, say, the pic related even achievable? And how long, do you think, it would take?
On a side note, what does it feel like when you read in French, in comparison to English?
>>
>>10021461
>And how long, do you think, it would take?
The it is a fluid concept. You will be reading long before you read fluently understanding nuance and without having to use a dictionary.

Two hours of study per day means 730 hours in a year. That's a steady foundation, and by that point you can certainly already be on your way working through Les Misérables if you wish. Also, don't neglect pronunciation. Read out loud to yourself. Don't start reading Les Misérables (or some other novel of choice) too early because frustration can be a motivation killer.

Assimil French with Ease is a good beginner course followed up by Assimil Using French after that. Fun dialogues, stress-free learning, and an easy way to practice your pronunciation by repeating the dialogues. Also get a (slim) grammar book for reference.

>what does it feel like when you read in French, in comparison to English
I read fluently in eleven languages, but this question doesn't really make sense to me. Does understanding in different languages feel different? I don't think so. It feels good to learn to understand new things, it feels good to reflect on what you've learned and what abilities you've cultivated, but just in the ordinary practice (doing) of reading, I don't think feels are language-specific.
>>
File: 1505364644053.jpg (81KB, 319x303px) Image search: [Google]
1505364644053.jpg
81KB, 319x303px
>>10021543
>read fluently in eleven languages
Do tell, anon, how'd you get about doing that?
Would love to see where your foundations were placed
t. current French and soon-to-be Spanish abecedarian
>>
French is worth it, no doubt. French literature is the only literature that gives English literature a run for its money... well, up until people like Derrida and Foucault started to be published. It's been mostly shit since then. Even Houellebecq's nowhere near as good as the earlier writers, though he's still great reading. He's very easy in French for a beginner, by the way.
>>
Spanish or French?
>>
How difficult is Proust to read in French?
>>
>>10023739
>>10021461
i'd say reading books like that in french when its not your native language would be pretty boring as they are a lot of description which will make you open the dictionary at every sentences.
I don't really get why you would learn a language just to read books. It will never be as enjoyable as reading it in your own language
>>
>>10023846
A lie.
>>
>>10023846
>It will never be as enjoyable as reading it in your own language
Your words contradict my own experience. And yeah, your English sucks a bbc.
>>
>>10023846
>i'd say reading books like that in french when its not your native language would be pretty boring as they are a lot of description which will make you open the dictionary at every sentences
That changes over time as you keep memorizing new words and phrases. Don't make a fool of yourself and go improve your English a tad bit as it's really egregious.
>>
>>10024276
What english wasnt right in my post?
>>
you can't learn French
>>
I decided to do what you're trying to do but with Russian. A year and a half down the line and I can read pretty much anything with heavy dictionary leaning. Non fiction I have to use one maybe 3-4 times a page, although with fiction that generally goes up, though it varies. Gogol for example is hard, Tolstoy is easy, and Chekhov sits right in between. I started the project when I was unemployed and it really helped. I got myself to the point where practicing stopped being grinding grammar and started being just reading blog posts and things. It slowed down after that due to working full time but I rarely miss days. It's not unachievable to be able to read through it more or less fluently in about 2 years if you have good free time and a better work ethic than me
>>
Why would you want to read in gay?
>>
>>10026641

Rekt
>>
>>10021461
what is your favorite book?
>>
>>10027760
Notre Dame de Paris
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.