[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thomas Ligotti

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: Thomas-Ligotti-2.jpg (46KB, 315x450px) Image search: [Google]
Thomas-Ligotti-2.jpg
46KB, 315x450px
>And the most terrifying question of all may be just how much horror the human mind can stand and still maintain a wakeful, staring, unrelenting sanity.
>We fall from tomb to womb, from one blackness to another, remembering little of the one, and knowing nothing of the other.
>Nightmares exist outside the realm of logic and there is little fun to be had in explanations.
>God is cruel. Sometimes he makes you live.
>We make up horrors to help us cope with the real ones.
>We stopped checking for monsters under the bed when we realized they were inside us.
>I think that we're all mentally ill- those of us outside the asylums only hide it a little better- and maybe not all that much better, after all.
>Monsters are real, and ghosts are too. They live inside of us, and sometimes, they win.
>You think, "Okay, I get it, I'm prepared for the worst," but you hold out that small hope, see, and that's what fucks you up. That's what kills you.

Damn....
>>
More composer quotes please
>>
File: labyrinth.jpg (63KB, 482x600px) Image search: [Google]
labyrinth.jpg
63KB, 482x600px
>And the most terrifying question of all may be just how much horror the human mind can stand and still maintain a wakeful, staring, unrelenting sanity.

Endless horror, quantitatively and qualitatively.
>>
>>10021646
this. Why do I even bother anymore /lit/?
>>
Does this guy write stories? Is he like a contemporary continuation of Lovecraft, but extremely and overwhelmingly nihilistic?
>>
>>10022927
He has quite a few collections of short stories. As far as prose goes, he moves away from "Lovecraftian" writing after his first two collections roughly, but yes, that sounds about right. Take the human insignificance of HPL's stories but remove the monsters and ramp up the absurdity. Outside of pessimistic philosophy, his influences include Kafka, Borges, and Nabokov.
>>
>>10022999
Oh man. That's bleak.
I feel like I've been reading and thinking about Ligotti-like subjects this summer out on the periphery of his works, and I had a really fucked up acid trip that was so pessimistic and crushing. I dunno if this would be healthy for me to indulge in if I picked up something of his.
>>
>>10023014
It probably wouldn't be healthy, no. It would be even worse if you repeatedly listened to these two tracks he wrote the spoken word lyrics to.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsSvd4zfQUI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxZpEFJhO6k
>>
>>10020594
So no one's going to comment on how these are all Stephen King quotes?
>>
come to think of it, he did lots with them.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=current+93+ligotti
>>
>>10023028
oh my god.... during that acid trip my friends and I listened to a bunch of Death in June and Current 93

NOT HEALTHY! KEEP AWAY!!
>>
>>10023037
Why would any of us but you recognise Stephen King quotes?

>>10023041
why the fuck did you do that for?
>>
>>10023048
poorly planned, we didn't really respect the acid. by the time we were listening to the music, I was okay, but I mean it's probably too nihilistic for anybody to listen to at any point of an acid trip.
>>
>>10023055
People make mistakes, it happens. I hope you'll take better care next time.
>>
>>10023082
Thank you, friend. It was at least interesting.
>>
>>10023028
I find the David Tibet / Ligotti connection kind of strange in that I wonder what they see in each other's works. I guess they both have a love for horror stories but Tibet's Christianity and Ligotti's brand of pessimism seem completely at odds.
>>
>>10023298
Idk, apperantly Tibet is a big weird fiction fan (He has songs named after Machen stories I believe). Tibet's religion is weird, isn't it Christian but with a lot of paganistic parts?
>>
>>10022927
teatro shittesco is massively overrated
songs of a dead dreamer is a fine piece of literature
>>
>>10025099
Imagine being this wrong
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.