[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Grammar

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: ElementsOfStyle.jpg (243KB, 408x648px) Image search: [Google]
ElementsOfStyle.jpg
243KB, 408x648px
I'm wanting to spend this year getting as proficient as possible with grammar. Excluding Elements of Style, what are couple more good books (or any other means for that matter) for forming a good understanding of the English language?
>>
>>10020565
All you need. Nothing beats good taste though. Some people just get it.
>>
>>10020565
Just read books, queer.
>>
>>10020565
There's the S&W Elements of Editing as well which is more grammar intensive. But I'd suggest seriously studying a foreign language. I never learned as much about my own language as when studying another.
>>
>>10022038
This. Begin with Latin.
>>
>>10022836
this. Learned a ton of grammar from Latin. Maybe you want to check this book out too, it's written by a writer and it makes grammar as entertaining as possible.
http://www.calamaripress.com/Gotham_Grammarian.htm
>>
>>10022038
>>10022836
I never thought of it in that way.

And opinions on "It was the best of sentences, it was the worst of sentences." by June Casagrande? every heard of it?
>>
>>10020565
Why do you want to be as proficient as possible with grammar?
>>
>>10023444

Competent would be, shall we say, sufficient.

Not OP, nevertheless suggestions are welcome.
>>
>>10023444
So i can quit fucking around and start writing something profitable.
>>
>>10020565
The Elements of Style will not help you learn English grammar, as it is full of incorrect grammatical information; cf. "50 Years of Stupid Grammar Advice" by Geoffrey K. Pullum.

Here's a good example if you don't want to read the article. Strunk & White don't understand what the passive voice is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrRKJrTPwYg
>>
Khan academy though . . .
>>
>>10020565
What you mean instead of "grammar" is "style".
S&W is a style guide. There are hundreds out there.

You already have a mastery of English grammar because you're using it now. For example, you wrote:
"...what are couple more good books..."
not:
"...are what more good couple books...".

The first is a grammatical sentence of English, the second is not.

Now, while style is important, it is more important to understand that the most appropriate style depends on the context and purpose at hand. There is no single "most correct" style, despite what your elementary school English teachers (or the author of any style guide) would have you believe. If you intend to use language as your artistic medium, you need to understand that YOU command IT, not the other way around. Wield it to your purpose.
>>
It's better to go about that the indirect way, expose yourself to the language in various mediums, it will never stick, or be organic if you seek it out the other way.
That being said, I still found The Sense of Style, by Pinker a good read.
>>
>>10027179
>YOU command IT
This is moot. Good post nonetheless.
>>
>>10020565
Virginia Tufte's "Artful Sentences"
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.