[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Playwright General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: bitch-it's-drama.jpg (18KB, 359x450px) Image search: [Google]
bitch-it's-drama.jpg
18KB, 359x450px
I want to get into playwriting (mostly for fun), have some ideas in the head and I want to get them out of the way. Does /lit/ know of any cool resources, learning tools etc. to increase my chances and not sucking so much at it?
Also, know of any cool recent (21st century) theater scripts to look at? Can be as abstract as possible too.

Also, all things writing for this slowly decaying medium.
>>
>>10017457
I'd actually kind of like to get into this as well. I'm a student so I was just gonna get involved in the theatre groups at uni. There are probably local amateur theatre groups who you could check out if you're not a student. Don't know much about that.

As for not sucking at it, I'm just working through the classics to get a feel. Read Beckett recently and that's what made me want to get into the theatre in the first place. I don't really trust any "resources" regarding writing, especially ones that try to lay out rules about plot etc.

Gonna be keeping an eye on this thread tho
>>
>>10017466
>Read Beckett recently and that's what made me want to get into the theatre in the first place

Looks like we're on the same boat my man!
>>
Kys
>>
>>10017505
Nice dude!

He really is one of those writers who actually makes you want to write. I think that's part of why he had such an influence on 20th century theatre, mostly the dialogue style, which is so easy to ape superficially, but difficult I think to master.

I think that's what I'm going to start with when I get round to actually writing a play. Just a straight Beckett rip-off, to get my feet wet.

>>10017508
whoa
>>
>>10017528
Yeah, I think it's a nice way to start mostly on how short or how long the play can actually be. A very flexible style for sure.

>>10017508
Watch out, you might get edged off from U2
>>
>>10017457
>slowly decaying

Theatre's been called the perpetual invalid because for literal centuries people have been saying it's about to die. There are more theaters now than 100 years ago. There are more theatre companies now than 100 years ago. More playwrights and actors and directors and technical people.

Read Sarah Rhul, ignore Lynn Nottage, look into what Punchdrunk did with Sleep No More
>>
>>10017541
>ignore Lynn Nottage
How so? Terrible overall or is her style a bit clunky?
>>
fucken bump
>>
>>10017457
Hey!

For beginners I think it's important to get a good foundation in dramatic writing, read all of the greats, and study the writer's mechanics the same way you would with any lit.

For writing, I would also suggest for beginners www.celtx.com it's a free program that formats stageplays for you.

Also, go to as many plays as you can, not only for fun, and to support a completely unappreciated art form, but to also craft a critical eye for your own writing and reading.

Happy writing!
>>
>>10018473
Celtx looks really nice, thanks for the suggestion!
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.