[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does /lit/ feel about Naipaul? I just read pic related and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: HouseForMrBiswas.jpg (30KB, 220x326px) Image search: [Google]
HouseForMrBiswas.jpg
30KB, 220x326px
How does /lit/ feel about Naipaul? I just read pic related and thought it was brilliant. Naipaul's prose is measured and precise, his knowledge of the material world around him and the culture of Trinidad is profound, and his protagonist is at once mean, petty, bitter, and abusive, as well as one of the most lovable and sympathetic characters I've come across in fiction. And he finished this mature, sophisticated novel by the time he was 28.
>>
>>10016894
Brilliant is overstating it, but I'm hard to please and I do think it's a good novel. On the other hand, some other novels by Naipaul are just extremely dull to me.
>>
File: Unbenannt.png (169KB, 389x559px) Image search: [Google]
Unbenannt.png
169KB, 389x559px
one of Goethe's bitches
>>
>>10016894
I've got to read this. A Bend in the River was absolutely fantastic.
>>
>>10017450
>A Bend in the River was absolutely fantastic.
I can't imagine why and how, but I'd be interested to know.
>>
>>10017464
Why is that hard to believe? It deals with an African country post colonial trying to find their way and the careful observers that are seeing chaos come to fruition.

Why is that so hard to believe?
>>
>>10016894
This is the only Naipaul novel I've read and it was great. I'm biased towards books like this because I grew up in shitty area where people were strongly discouraged from deviating from traditional culture, even if it meant material or spiritual improvement.

You should read this essay he wrote about the 1984 Republican convention. It's an interesting take on American Republicans from a classic Tory.
http://www.nybooks.com/articles/1984/10/25/among-the-republicans/
>>
>>10017568
I found it all-around plodding so I was curious about your enthusiasm. I didn't mean to imply it was horrible, just nothing I can imagine enthusing about.

In my opinion, Naipaul in general tends to be OK by all metrics but outstanding by none. A case of damning with faint praise, I suppose, but so it goes.
>>
>>10017691
Sorry, didn't mean to repeat myself. I enjoyed it mostly because my mum lived in Nigeria during the time of their independence and her stories were very reminiscent to that of which Naipul wrote in River.
>>
>>10017777
>didn't mean to repeat myself
>gets quads
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.