[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Reviving the Long S (ſ)!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: ch4_intro.jpg (67KB, 276x206px) Image search: [Google]
ch4_intro.jpg
67KB, 276x206px
O Occupants of 4Chan, has there not come to You a poſſible Thought of Reviving the Long S?

This is what BASED B. Franklin ſaid of the Matter:
"Farther, to be more ſenſible of the Advantage of clear and dſstinct Printing, let us conſider the Aſſiſtance it affords in Reading well aloud to an Auditory.
In ſo doing the Eye generally ſlides forward three or four Words before the Voice. If the Sight clearly diſtinguiſhes what the coming Words are, it gives time to order the Modulation of the Voice, to expreſs them properly. But if they are obſcurely printed, or diſguised by omiting the Capitals and long s's or otherwise, the Reader is apt to modulate wrong, and finding he has done so, he is obliged to go back and begin the Sentence again; which lessens the Pleſsure of the Hearers."

'Nuff ſaid Gentlemen
>>
>>10015653
English has about ten dozen things to fix about its retarded orthography before the long s question should be addressed at all.
>>
>poſſible
OP, the ſecond inſtance ought to be "s."
>>
>>10015653
Honestly what's the advantage? He seems to be talking about how it compensates for printing errors.
>>
>>10015653
quick queſtion. Where do you find the long ſ on the modern keayboards?
>>
>>10015686
There appears to have been a difference of Opinion regard this. Read the firſt Line from the Declaration of Independence as an Example:
http://www.learnnc.org/lp/media/uploads/2008/05/declaration-of-independence.jpg

"neceſſary"
"diſſolve"
>>
>>10015695
He's eſſentially saying that it makes it eaſier to read out-loud becauſse the Words are more distinguiſhed.

I would like to read an old Book and ſee if the long S coupled with more capitaliſation throughout the Text makes reading faſter.

>>10015701
Honeſtly, I just Google "Long s" and then copy and paſte lol
>>
>>10015740
no ſhit, it's not that i can conjoure it out of thin air myſelf, but there muſt be an alternative, and now I need it for ſome naughty prupoſſess
>>
>>10015653

I am an amateur mathematician aſ well aſ being an amateur philologist. Conſequently, I make uſe of the long ſ in a differing wiſe for the purpoſe of computing integrals, aſ well aſ in the practice of analyſing our glorious Declaration and Conſtitution, inſofar as Several verſions of those wiſe documents exiſt.

However, another form of the glyph ſ is the Greek capital Σ or Sigma, which may be uſed to compute sums.
>>
Wait, what iſ the differenſe between a long s and just a regular s? Is it just a typeſcript differenſe, or are there actual linguiſtic, like phonological differenſes?
>>
>>10015817
Wow, two mathematicianΣ in one thread. However, I woudn't Σay I am an amateur. AnywayΣ, greetingΣ, fellow lover of mathematicΣ!

>>10015832
*phonetic
>>
>>10015839
>>10015817
Guys, can I be autistic too?
>>
>>10015905
>autistic
>s
No, you may not.
>>
>>10015653
Dear God, no. Not only is 18th century prose already a bit difficult, the random nouns in caps is equally distracting.
>>
>>10015958
>random nouns in caps is equally distracting
Got bad news for you regarding the German language.
>>
>>10016001
Yeah, except in their case all proper nouns are capitalized whereas that was not the case in 18th century English language prose.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.