[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where should I start with philosophical logic? I just started

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

File: isaac newton btard.jpg (388KB, 1020x1486px) Image search: [Google]
isaac newton btard.jpg
388KB, 1020x1486px
Where should I start with philosophical logic? I just started my math major, and I feel that I should be well-read on logic. I'm not looking for textbooks for mathematical logic -- I want philsophical logic. What books should I read if I've never read philosophy before?
>>
>>10012357
phil logic is just baby tier mathematical logic as applied to philosophy.
>>
Susan Haack has a good book on the topic.
>>
>>10012357
It's all so tedious.
>>
>>10012357
>Where should I start with philosophical logic?
The Greeks.
>>
File: wright_book4.jpg (19KB, 145x240px) Image search: [Google]
wright_book4.jpg
19KB, 145x240px
probably a babby tier intro
>>
>>10012391
>>10012411
Thanks. I'll take a look at these
>>10012401
Which books? I don't want to have to read a fuck ton of irrelevant books just to reach the bits I'm interested in
>>
>>10012491
Don't read the greeks for philosophical logic, specially if you're already studying mathematics at a college level. If you read Haack's book, you'll most probably going to be interested in semantic interpretations of logic. I really urge you to a) learn the common Semantic theory of truth and then learn some Proof-theoretic semantics.
>>
>>10012357
Read the sourcebook From Frege to Godel and you'll know everything you need to know.
>>
>>10012357
Aristotle and Frege.
>>
>>10012516
I'll read her book. Thank you
>>
File: 1409615612711.jpg (102KB, 462x544px)
1409615612711.jpg
102KB, 462x544px
>>10012357
>Where should I start with philosophical logic?

You should start with an intro textbook teaching you first order logic.

I use this because I'm told to by my professors. Im sure there are others that are just as good but you can find this online for free as pdfs

Parsons, Terence - "An Introduction to Symbolic Logic" (it might be exposition instead of introduction I cant remember)

Once you understand this you can start getting into, like others have said, the topics of semantics, theories of truth, and philosophy of language. You can also just keep moving forward with your logic with something like modal logic.

Enjoy yourself
>>
>>10012391
Seconding this. Found out about Haack freshman year of undergrad actually.
>>
Phenomenology, logic, and the philosophy of mathematics / Richard Tieszen.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.