[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are the Library of America collections any good?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: 2015_0910_webimages_20_loa.jpg (27KB, 460x275px) Image search: [Google]
2015_0910_webimages_20_loa.jpg
27KB, 460x275px
Are the Library of America collections any good?
>>
Letters just like any other letters...
>>
>>10010999
I mean book quality. If I'm spending the extra money for physical media I don't want it to fall apart in 6 months.
I'm talking about the binding, paper quality, printing errors, omission of certain works, etc.
>>
Great quality, but thin paper. Worth the price for sure because one volume usually goes from 800 to 1400 pages.
>>
>>10011018
It's very good. Nothing to worry about.
>>
>>10011034

Only the earlier editions tend to go well over a thousand pages (a Francis Parkman one is over 1600 pages!). They've had a trend of downsizing after that which is really annoying for some works. For example, Henry James's complete stories make up 5 volumes with over 900 pages each, but they could easily have done 4 with over 1200 pages each. Also they could have easily done a complete Lovecraft over 1000 or 1100 pages but they got rid of 1/4 of his work including his best novella The Dream Quest of Unknown Kaddath just so they can fit it in a relatively measly 800 pages.
>>
>>10011549
I dream of the day when there's a non-shit complete lovecraft volume in print. I recently bought the three penguin classics volumes to replace my B&N edition.
>>
Very high quality, attractive books. The pages smell really good, too. And they've got pagemarkers.
>>
>>10011018

They are high quality with cloth-woven binding and acid-free paper. They are meant to last for a very long time.
They have that super-thin bible paper though so if you have Parkinson's maybe you should look for something else.
>>
>>10011549

I think they're trying to gyp you into buying more books.
>>
Its like everyman's library but way better and 2/3 years ago they were pretty cheap in Canada
>>
>>10010992
I copped the Flannery O'Connor complete works one about 5 years ago and ran it through absolute hell. Still pretty much like new.
>>
>>10010992
nothing special, overpriced and thin paper.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.