[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dante's Divine Comedy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: Dante_DivineComedy.jpg (75KB, 315x475px) Image search: [Google]
Dante_DivineComedy.jpg
75KB, 315x475px
Pic unrelated

I've only read Inferno. As someone who is not religious looking in, it seems to me that Dante does more to discredit Christianity in a few ways.

Specifically with irony surrounding the pilgrim's (Dante the pilgrim) bewilderment towards the bureaucratic nature of the punishments given (at least up to the Malbolge), and the Poet's (meta Dante the poet) casual indifference towards the punishments. This irony is strengthened by the fact that the Virgil will occasionally be confused as to why the pilgrim is so horrorstruck and proceeds to reprimand him for wavering in his faith (a faith that Virgil himself never knew and is forced to behold in death).

This irony is strengthened another level further when you consider the notion that Dante (the poet) was aiming to bring righteousness to the corrupt society he was exiled from, while undermining it with his rhetoric.

Am I reading this wrong?
What was your take away? Im especially interested in your take away if you happen to be religious.
Does the Purgatorio and Paradiso undo or put into context this odd situation?
I hope I am not reading this wrong. Any help is very much appreciated!
>>
oops
pic definitely related
>>
>>10008786
you're retarded and you should kys

>read 1/3 of a book
>type a bunch of im-13-and-this-is-deep thoughts

fuck off back to r/books
>>
>>10008818
But I want to know WHY I am reading it wrong.
Nice try though. here's the (you)
>>
File: aq.jpg (71KB, 850x400px) Image search: [Google]
aq.jpg
71KB, 850x400px
>still living mortal is terrified by a vision of an afterlife made of things specifically designed by God himself to be terrifying
>it must be unbelief, clearly!
fuck off brainlet
>>
>>10008859
Im not talking about the actual vision itself. Im talking about the changing reactions made by the characters involved.

It causes dissonance between what is more or less stated to be the end result of the changes that the pilgrim goes through and how he chooses to portray the outcomes of the changes themselves.

Like when Dante in the Malbolge and Cocytus starts to show a level of wrath towards certain souls he finds. If it is a righteous journey then why is he displaying wrath and belittlement and some kind of harm towards souls after so many changes. I thought that punishment was only for God to make alone. How can everyone be okay or at least ambivalent towards Dante the pilgrim almost turned poet displaying actions like that?

Please understand that this is about rhetorical devices + dissonance between stated outcome and projected appearance.

It is NOT about I think Dante's (the poet) intent or meaning is.
I just want to understand. Thank you
>>
>>10008907
Because the pilgrim is Dante during his journey and the poet is him afterwards.
>>
His indictments are always of the religious, not religion itself. It would have been impossible to cognize or function in Dante's time if one was completely against religion.
>>
>>10008907
Would you finish the rest of it before saying you understand it? Fucking hell. Dante isn't "writing to discredit" Christianity you stupid bastard
>>
>>10008907
Those who are in the lowest levels of Hell are the most deserving and the least pitiable, it's also a symptom of a reversed pathetic fallacy--the environment of the Malebolge and Cocytus is toxic and consumes everything. It shows that the individual consequences of the sinners do not end solely with their victims, but are pervasive in creating a cold and unfriendly world. That's why the ultimate punishment isn't just a literal interpretation of the damned being "cold and heartless," but in that they're surrounded by people like themselves who treat them in the way they treated others in their life. They all want to conceal their identity, but are quick to reveal the identity of others. Dante is just another pawn in this system of punishment, where a sinner makes a deal with him and is then betrayed as he should have expected. Furthermore, they aren't really even "people," anymore. That's why the defining aspects of Cocytus involve statues of ice, cannibalism, solitude, and a beast. The Inferno is also reminiscent of the Old Testament God, and that wrath IS righteous.

If you read the rest, you'd also realize that no human will is separated from God, as discussed by Aquinas in Paradise--but is merely an individual facet. When Dante does something to someone else, especially as he is becoming more incorporeal and closer to the divine, God is working more closely through him.
>>
Can someone post the Divine Comedy translation comparison chart?
>>
>>10008823
Because you didn't read it all. Inferno start with

nel mezzo del cammin di nostra vita
mi ritrovai in una selva oscura
ché la diritta via era smarrita

It literally describe a middle age faith crysis.
His journey through Inferno and Purgatorio is required to purify his soul and prepare for his meeting with God. In the last Paradiso's cantiche Dante can't even find the words to describe God's magnificence.
>>
File: 1459306796668.jpg (54KB, 681x720px) Image search: [Google]
1459306796668.jpg
54KB, 681x720px
>>10009333
>crysis
>>
>>10008859
>the damned in hell exist so the saints can sadistically jerk off to their damnation
Wew
>>
>>10009517
Welcome to the Middle Ages
>>
>>10009112
this is the crux of it, anything else is anachronistic thinking. Remember Dante hadn't even read the Greeks - the references are all wrong because he's parsing from Virgin/Ovid. He lived in essentially a real monotheism, like the modern day middle east.
>>
>>10009112
This
>>
File: dantechart.png (2MB, 2000x7594px) Image search: [Google]
dantechart.png
2MB, 2000x7594px
>>10009257
>>
>>10009928
Thanks!
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.