[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you get from Swann worrying so much about Odette? It's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: Photo-by-Otto.jpg (2MB, 1500x938px) Image search: [Google]
Photo-by-Otto.jpg
2MB, 1500x938px
What do you get from Swann worrying so much about Odette? It's not to worry, right? Holy shit Swann in Love is such a painful read for someone in a budding relationship. Will the rest of ISoLT answer my question?
>>
File: lrm.jpg (518KB, 900x675px) Image search: [Google]
lrm.jpg
518KB, 900x675px
yes
>>
I'm still not there yet
I think I will end up reading the full 7 books
This guy was seriously talented. Shame on Joyce for bullying him
>>
>>10007560
source on joyce bullying him?
>>
You realize that (big spoilers) Swann was right to worry.
>>
>>10007564
not that guy (op here)--idk about bullying but Joyce, at a party, was upset that Proust hadn't read Ulysses. He sulked. Look it up
>>
>>10007569
Then he told him he was too old to teach him anything, or something like that
>>
File: 1486262464637.gif (62KB, 800x670px) Image search: [Google]
1486262464637.gif
62KB, 800x670px
>>10007567
yes--even so: should he have bothered? ik that once you're in that mindset of "love" that there is no point, because it's going to bug you. So, ik this is all over the place, but say that there is no right to worry, but you still miss your girl? Like when his uncle advises him to let her miss him (a la Art of Love), and oppositely advises Odette to let Swann see her as much as possible. How do you remedy this shit? It seems as if girls want a man who doesn't seem attached, but guys want to see the girl, lest (like Schopenhauer and others say), she'll fall prey to being no longer loved. I'm liable to say just worry about your own shit and do you (your hobbies, jobs, friends).

>>10007572
That was Yeats. Joyce @22 said he met Yeats too late, and I love that article. It goes towards the point of old people being set in their ways (whether for the good or bad, but certainly not for Joyce's good, since he was the ultimate duality guy).

Speaking of Yeats, i'll just drop this highly relevant poem that's been bugging me (Never Give All Your Heart):

Never give all your heart, for love
Will hardly seem worth thinking of
To passionate women if it seem
Certain and they never dream
That it fades from kiss to kiss
Because everything that's lovely is
But a brief and dreamy kind delight
No never give your heart outright
For they for all smooth lips can say
Have given their hearts up to the play
And who can play it well enough
If deaf and dumb and blind with love
He who wrote this knows all cost
For he gave all his heart and lost.
>>
>>10007537
I'm in the first part of Swann in Love where he is at that party listening to the music. I have nothing of substance to add, but I just thought it would be cool to tell you
>>
>>10007604
Thanks, Anon. It was relatively cool. Godspeed.
>>
>>10007564
Joyce was too cowardly to do his own dirty work, but he did pay Ernest Hemingway 8 bucks to throw Proust's pants up in a tree.
>>
>>10007537
Jealousy is one of the defining principles of his life. Odette herself almost doesn't matter except as a way in to this most artistic of emotions (for Swann).
>>
>>10007605
This camaraderie. This kindness. This lightheartedness. Unheard of on 4chan and lit. It just goes to show you that the Proust fan base is the most superior group of people on earth. Likely because Proust is such a great influence on his readers.
>>
>>10007537
Yes, the narrator gets into a similar relationship but there are crucial differences, especially in what he makes of it on the later volumes.
>>
>>10007604
There is a part later on that is just like this but longer and better.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.