[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is genre-fiction looked down upon on here? What makes it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: thinkan.gif (30KB, 290x200px) Image search: [Google]
thinkan.gif
30KB, 290x200px
Why is genre-fiction looked down upon on here?

What makes it so inferior to other literary genres?
>>
I'd rather let you figure out on your own why what you just wrote is incredibly stupid.
>>
>>10005957
LARPing to scare newfags like you
>>
It seems to me that the ''literary fiction'' meme was much more popular 3-4 years ago than it is now (had a hiatus and am only now browsing /lit/ regularly again).
>>
>>10005957
Genre fiction is generally a larger challenge to the reader. It tends to have a lot more going on and it's where the serious authors congregate. It's not that it's looked down on but it's not appropriate for novice readers unless they are above average intelligent. /lit/ tries to avoid it because it's outside the league of most posters and the one's that can handle it don't want to intimidate newer readers by exposing them to the heavy stuff when their training wheels are not even off. Non-genre is sort of the pop-music of literature. It's fun sometimes and where most people start but simple and unrewarding.
>>
File: image.jpg (34KB, 326x326px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
34KB, 326x326px
Can somebody explain to me what exactly 'genre fiction' is/means? Examples?
>>
>>10006084
pleb escapism for plebs, shit with dragons in it
>>
Literary fiction is written with a prose style in mind and in order to elicit a range of human and moral dilemmas and emotions.
Genre fiction is written with a plot style and sales in mind and in order to elicit generally a very base range of emotions [for instance, horror, harlequin, YA, are all generally directed at evoking one emotion and usually at a limbic level]
>>
>>10005957
I think its looked down on because genre fiction writers put rarely to none profoundness into their work
>>
>>10006084
Like dungeons and dragons or sci fi or detective shit, anything which neatly fits into a genre and is fiction
>>
>>10006133
>>10006095
So in other words, any fictional work that standalone can't simply be labeled as 'fiction'?
>>
>>10006163

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/steven-petite/literary-fiction-vs-genre-fiction_b_4859609.html
>>
>>10005957

I like genre fiction but most of it is shit, and the ratio of shit has chronologically increased since the 1920s. Basically, there was no difference between genre and literary fiction before then. What is the Iliad? The Canterbury Tales? L'Morte d'Arthur? Paradise Lost? But modernists and post-modernists decided they were too cool to write plain old novels, and also that commercial success is artistic failure, while those who chose to write genre fiction were often commercially motivated.

End result, "literary" fiction became a navel-gazing circle-jerk of pseuds with their heads up their own asses, while genre fiction declined in a similar way to film, due to conglomeration content publishers and the birth of the internet. Now both fields are infested with equal opportunity hires and so few people even read that breaking out of the control of your genre's publishers and niche audi nce, even if your genre is pretentious illegible pseudo-literary shit, is nearly impossible. Thus the written word as a whole continues to spiral the toilet as the prophecies of those who called the modernists indecent rapidly are proved prescient.
>>
>>10006447
>Basically, there was no difference between genre and literary fiction before then. What is the Iliad?
This is deeply misleading, anon. Since the library of Alexandria we've had different genres because Homer was sectioned off from both tragedy and comedy.
Genre fiction hasn't increased so much since the 1920s, because that's when one of the mass market genres which started the "genre v literary" fiction memes was dying. Cowboy novels going out of fashion at that point is one of the reasons why Flann O'Brien could write At Swim Two Birds.
You're talking out your ass.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.