[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Whats the best ereader?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: u_10134823.jpg (64KB, 1000x887px) Image search: [Google]
u_10134823.jpg
64KB, 1000x887px
Whats the best ereader?
>>
>>10004267
More of that delicious prose anon
>>
my diarrhea desu
>>
I recently bought one of those $50 kindle fires and am mostly pleased. But having never used a kindle or e-reader I'm a little let down by the text to speech function not picking up where I left off or continuing to read when I want to click out for a minute and even making me reload the file after I've close it to do something else sometimes. Pretty gay imo. But maybe they make it more difficult for people like me who don't actually buy audiobooks and just want to load their own pdfs. I don't know. Anyone else have one of these things? Seems like a steal for $50.
>>
They're all kind of shit to be honest with you family.

None of them are worth more than $100, and a lot of them cost a lot more than that.

Also, new feature adoption is incredibly slow compared to other markets - you can expect a phone or tablet to get a new version every year with new features and improvements. Not the case with e-readers. You'll see in 10 years the same amount of innovation that happens in any other market in 1-2 years.

It doesn't help that there's an e-ink cartel keeping the display prices obscene.
>>
>>10004315
>kindle fire
fucking retard you buy ereaders for the e-ink
>>10004329
the fuck
you sound disgusting fucking consumerist whore.
What features and improvements does an e-reader needs?
>>
>>10004329
ereaders are meant for reading. As long as it has reasonable organization and i can read without issue im happy. KISS
>>
>>10004267
Kobo ereader. Mine was really cheap and has a soft rubber texture to fidget with while reading.
>>
My dream is a reader with 7 inches and colored e-ink that can read PDFs perfectly like an iPad.
>>
kys
>>
>>10004409

cant seem to find this brand on google, any help?
>>
>>10004267
nagger
>>
I'm trying to figure out if I should go Kobo or Kindle rn. The prices on the higher end models are fucking insane in CAD.
>>
Is the kobo aura one the best for weebshit or is there something better
>>
>>10004812
if you're a good boy who buys books with money, Kindle
if you're a bad boy who pirates his books freely, Kobo
>>
>>10004353
Holy shit hire a prostitute anon.
>>
>>10004353
>What features and improvements does an eReader needs?

Higher DPI
Let's go all the way to 450dpi where the eye can no longer tell the difference.

Faster screen refresh
Because seeing the screen flicker and having to wait 700ms every page turn is inconveniencing. Everything about eReaders would feel snappier and more responsive if the refresh rate was improved.

Better battery life
1300mah batteries are already giving eReaders week long battery life, but there's always room for more. Nobody is going to complain that their device gets a full month on a charge rather than a week. I've already seen a few eReaders switching over to 3000mah batteries, especially the ones with bigger screens.

More storage
4, 8, even 16GB of storage is not enough - software and functionality on the device takes up space, even where the books themselves don't. That's before we even get to comics or technical PDF's that can easily be a hundred MB's per file. It's 2017; I can buy a 64GB USB-3.1 drive for $20. There's no excuse for such small amounts of storage considering how much you're paying.

Larger screen size
Tons of people find the 6" screens too small. It's only been the last couple years that larger screens have started being introduced - this could've gone a lot faster.

Better ergonomics
The flat slate thing just isn't comfortable to hold, especially with one hand on the larger eReaders. Amazon got it right with the Oasis, but nobody else in the market has clued in yet. Holding easily with one of either hand, and being able to switch pages with physical buttons, is a necessity for a good eReader.

Better hardware
Large files and faster refresh rates need more RAM and processing power to work with. Current eReaders are meeting the bare-minimum that gets their software to work, but still struggle with larger files and pdf's.

Improved software
Across the board the proprietary eReader software on just about every device is lackluster. Kindle and Kobo users get ads shoved in their face on the main menu, you can't change fonts or screensavers on kindles, you can't run any of your own programs, and the UI/UX look and feel like ass.

Color E-Ink
It's been something like 6-7 years since color E-Ink was shown off, and there STILL isn't an eReader on the market with it.

Waterproofing
Another feature that is just beginning to be adopted and could've been adopted a lot sooner than it was.

There is a ton of room for eReaders to improve. Just because you can't imagine what else you'd want out of your eReader doesn't mean they're literally perfect.
>>
>>10004267
I got a new Kindle Paperwhite on ebay for $50, including shipping. Was well worth it. Try looking there or on craigslist.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.