[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Editing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: 1493248410932.jpg (43KB, 714x643px) Image search: [Google]
1493248410932.jpg
43KB, 714x643px
How do you edit your work on its brute first form? Besides doing grammatical corrections how do your formulate your piece? Do you go for long or medium sentences or do you go for short paragraphs to appeal for the modern short attention spam? Do you usually add or remove more stuff? Do you even make a backup of the original version?
>>
>>10002727

I usually don't back up the fist draft, but if I'm making a big revision that I'm unsure of I'll leave the original (this gets to be a problem when one version inevitably becomes more rewritten and edited than the other). I generally cannot help editing and rearranging as I write, so I almost never have a complete first draft that I then edit. Generally I try to complete a section before editing it, but I still change individual words or rewrite sentences as I go and as they occur to me.

My instinct is long paragraphs, but I now tend toward shorter ones, essentially one complete thought or subject, regardless of how many sentences it uses. I'm inclined to try to get out of this habit and look for a good middle ground between long and short paragraphs. I usually add far more than I remove, and almost never remove an entire idea (scene, plot point, w/e, I do remove whole lines sometimes if I think it's superfluous though), just put it somewhere else or rework it if I feel it needs to be changed.
>>
File: 1493248551028.jpg (202KB, 700x850px) Image search: [Google]
1493248551028.jpg
202KB, 700x850px
>>10002920
Thanks anon
>>
>>10002727
I revise in a chapter-by-chapter basis. Usually edit whatever I wrote two times after I write it, and then do a general revision of the thing.

I look for excessive use of certain words, read the text aloud, try to keep cohesion, check up on the metaphors and similes, etc.. Finally, I send it to my editor, he sends the thing back, and I try to decide whether I like it or not.

As for paragraph lenght, it really depends on the voice and personality of my characters, unless I'm working on imagery or atmosphere; in that case, I try to make it varied by reading aloud what I wrote and trying to see how well it flows.

Also, Tae best girl.
>>
I just go through it and smooth out the lumps so it flows
>>
>>10004415
You are welcome.
>>
>>10002727
Cut all the fluff and make the text leaner to appeal to retards
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.