[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

do you have to be religious to be a decent writer?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

File: 1486503757178.jpg (751KB, 2545x1400px) Image search: [Google]
1486503757178.jpg
751KB, 2545x1400px
do you have to be religious to be a decent writer?
>>
No.

/thread
>>
>>10002104
No but religion can be beautiful and the correlation between great writers and being religious makes sense
>>
No, but you do have to be a white man.
>>
are you fucking retarded op
>>
I don't know, maybe you should ask God
>>
You have to be pensive about spiritual and religious matters in order to write well. That doesn't mean you essentially have "to be religious" as you put it.

If your writing lacks this aspect you usually end up writing genre fiction, or even worse, journalism.
>>
Yes, ask Tolkien.
>>
>>10002104
Probably not. It's just that, historically, most people were, so of course most of the great writers fall under that umbrella as well. In recent times there have been more good ones who weren't, like Bertolt Brecht and whoever.
>>
>>10002104

No, just to be a great writer
>>
No. You have to be a Christian. There are three tiers of writers, arranged by descending order of quality:

1. Christians
2. Noble Pagans
3. Faggots (Heretics, Occultists, Pharisees, Muslims, Modernists, etc.)
>>
>>10003465
The gay atheist Proust was the best writer who ever lived.
>>
>>10003489
Pfffft. Also thanks for clarifying that faggotry is a religion.
>>
>>10003465
Don't be an arrogant cunt, my humble friend. The Christians jacked their best shit from the Pagan Greeks and Romans, both in literature, philosophy and theology.
>>
>>10003489
>was the best writer who ever lived.
lol this fucking board
>>
>>10002769
This. The most highly intellectual and original men of their times were Christian from habit.
>>
>>10003489
>Proust
I mean, he was okay. Great even, but christ, he's quite literally the
>my diary desu senpai
of the modern era.
>>
>>10003489
>atheist
>reared catholic
Joyce abstained from practicing catholicism in his later life as well, however, the teaching, culture, and inspiration afforded by the catholic faith has an incredible track record for crafting the greatest authors in human history. Despite being a self proclaimed mystic and atheist later in life, it is the religious foundation that help to make the man.

In summation, Proust doesn't count.
>>
To be a decent writer? No.
To be a great writer? Yes.
>>
>>10003605
Sorry: was the best writer whoms't ever lived*
>>
>>10002104
Yes
>>
>>10003620
>>Proust
>I mean, he was okay
Shut the FUCK up, maggot. You wouldn't recognise great writing even if it was written in a scroll that you shoved in your freshly fucked arse.
>>10003639
>In summation, Proust doesn't count.
Sez who? It's your life that doesn't amount to anything.
>>
>>10002104
yes, particularly catholic
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.