[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Reading in the Lower Countries

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

Recently moved to the Netherlands but I don't speak Dutch. Hoping some kind anons can give me advice on a few issues.

1. What are some good Dutch writers I need to read? I only have Mulisch so far.

2. What is the best English to Dutch grammar book to help speed up my language skills?

3. Where are the good bookstores (here or in neighboring countries) that I need to visit (preferably used books and hopefully with a good English selection)? I've been to pic related and a few other local shops.

Thanks.
>>
>>10000449

For questions 2,3 you're going to get a better response posting in /trv/. Have you tried the dutch waffle cookies? They are fucking amazing.
>>
How tall are you? We do not take kindly to manlets around here.
>>
>>10000493
6'3" and white. I fit in fine.
>>
>>10000449
>good Dutch writers
Oh boy.....
>>
>>10000493
Explain all the Moroccans then
>>
>>10000449
> 1. What are some good Dutch writers I need to read? I only have Mulisch so far.

J. Bernlef for fiction, Huizinga for (cultural) history

> 3. Where are the good bookstores (here or in neighboring countries) that I need to visit (preferably used books and hopefully with a good English selection)? I've been to pic related and a few other local shops.

You have Waterstones and the American Book Center for English books (Amsterdam), Donner for English and Dutch lit (Rotterdam, that I know of).

> (preferably used books and hopefully with a good English selection)

'De Slegte'. Used books in good condition at reasonable prices. You've got one in Rotterdam and one in Leiden that I know of.
>>
>>10000493
I lived there for a year and did far better with women than I do here in America despite being a manlet. Women in much of Europe don't seem to care as much about height as women in America do.
>>
>>10000449
Don't limit yourself to just Dutch writing, "De Engelenmaker" is by a Belgian writer but a really fucking good read. Also, Mulisch is really hit or miss.
>>
>>10000493
As a manlet born in the Netherlands, this is bullshit.
>>
>>10000449
I recommend Nescio and Willem F. Hermans

>>10000596
>(you)
>>
>>10000449
>>10000576
Also, I forgot to mention the used book market on Fridays in Amsterdam (deboekenmarktophetspui . NL)
>>
>>10000493
Mannen in Nederland zijn tering lang dus de meeste vrouwen voelen zich toch al klein. Toch ben je al snel 'die gast' als je korter bent dan 180. Wat is het met korte mannen en kaarttrucjes?
>>
Thanks for the help.

>>10000604
I had forgotten about Nescio. I have Amsterdam Stories but haven't read it yet.
>>
>>10000449
3) The Book Exchange

Kloveniersburgwal 58-HS
1012 CX Amsterdam
The Netherlands
De Wallen, Centrum
>>
>>10000540
they will be removed, though.
>>
>>10000449
The "Big Three" are Reve, Hermans and Mulisch. Of these, Reve is superior. Read him.
>>
Robert van Gulik and Janwillen van de Wetering are both worth reading
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.