[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Sailor Who Fell from Grace with the Sea

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: 517SdfWTRwL[1].jpg (33KB, 325x500px) Image search: [Google]
517SdfWTRwL[1].jpg
33KB, 325x500px
Just finished reading this yesterday and while I quite enjoyed it, that kitten section was almost unreadable, it made me physically ill. The rest of it was stunningly well written though. Haven't read any other Mishima yet but I would like to, any suggestions where to go from here?
>>
Sailor is OK but The Sea of Fertility is his best work by far (Spring Snow/Runaway Horses/The Temple of Dawn/The Decay of the Angel). Get it in the one-volume edition if you can, it was published by Penguin in 1985. Also his short stories are quite good, and "My Friend Hitler and other plays" is a must. He's not to everyone's taste but I like the richness of his writing:

"There were autumn cicadas in the evening groves, and the roar of the subway came through the calls of the birds. A yellow leaf dangled from a spiderweb on a branch far out over the swamp, catching a divine light each time it revolved. It was as if a tiny revolving door were floating in the heavens. We gazed at it in silence. I was asking what world would be opening beyond the dark gold each time it turned. Perhaps, as it revolved in the busy wind, it would give me a glimpse of the bustle in a miniature street beyond, shining through some tiny city in the air."
>>
>>10000310
Yeah, that kitten part is grotesque, but it's meant to be. The young lad shouldn't be hanging around with this group of creeps, but he is and he fits in because he's a creep himself. The book left me feeling quite cold and depressed, it really could've all been avoided.

My favourite Mishima is The Sound of Waves but that's probably because I haven't read Confessions of a Mask, Forbidden Colours or the Sea of Fertility yet.
>>
>>10000310
Sea of Fertility>Patriotism>Confessions of a Mask>Sailor>Golden Pavilion>Sun and Steel

>>10000491

The sailor was the epitome of masculine grace and strength to the boy, who was [made] fatherless [by the war]. He wanted that strength, and a father role. However, when the sailor becomes his father, he not only steals the feminine from the boy, but also subjugates himself to the feminine [and to western influences], thus crashing the boys dreams to the ground. In retaliation, the gang of boys [the postwar generation yearning for the glories of the past and the rigors of a warrior society] sentences/redeems him to a grisly death, which in Mishima's world is preferable to dying of old age or losing ones masculinity [t. sun and steel and the final book of Sea of Fertility].
>>
>>10000448
Hey you got the isbn for the one volume ediiton?
>>
>>10000709

978-0140069297
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.