[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was Margaret Tatcher a LGBT icon?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

File: tatcher ace.png (351KB, 540x510px) Image search: [Google]
tatcher ace.png
351KB, 540x510px
Was Margaret Tatcher a LGBT icon?
>>
>>8831103
is that picture supposed to be funny?
>>
>>8831103
She is why women should be allowed to stand for office even though they shouldn't get the vote.
>>
>>8831103
>Margaret Thatcher
>Pro-LGTB
Pick one.
>>
I liked her, she was good for the country and had decent, solid policies as opposed to Major and Blair after her
She was the last of the conviction politicians in this country
>>
>>8831103
Thatcher. And no, but she was definitely a good PM.
>>
>>8831321
She voted to legalized male homosexuality you ignoramus.
>>
>>8832405
I'm just looking this stuff up now but it seems pretty bad.
One of the arguments in favor of decriminalization at the time was that it would allow gay people to "seek treatment." It's not a surefire indicator of allyship.
Her party smeared the opposition for supporting gay rights in the 1987 election.
And she was around for Section 28, basically an "anti-gay propaganda law" just like Russia's.
But she knighted Ian McKellen and apparently was nice to gay people on a personal basis.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/apr/10/margaret-thatcher-poster-girl-gay-rights

And her AIDS policies were supposedly rather compassionate and effective.
http://dish.andrewsullivan.com/2013/04/09/thatcher-on-aids-no-reagan/
>>
>>8831103
Fuck no see >>8832534
Any gay person who voted Conservative deserves to be lynched imo
>>
>>8832534
>but it seems pretty bad.
>One of the arguments in favor of decriminalization at the time was that it would allow gay people to "seek treatment." It's not a surefire indicator of allyship.
Proof that as far as leftards are concerned thoughts matter and actions don't. Not only are you a Good Guy if you say you support the right thing despite doing nothing, but you're a Bad Guy if you actually do the right thing but still commit wrongthink.

>Her party smeared the opposition for supporting gay rights in the 1987 election.
>And she was around for Section 28, basically an "anti-gay propaganda law" just like Russia's.
She legalized male homosexuality. That's a little more important that media propaganda shit.
>>
>>8832576
So UK gays should all praise Thatcher for promoting them from criminals to mere second class citizens?
>>
>>8832766
Would you rather go to prison (where you'd be raped to death) or treated as a second class citizen but remain free? Demonising her after what she had done just because she had not done enough makes an ingrate.
t. not britbong
>>
>>8833784
They aren't even complaining that she didn't do enough, they're complaining that she didn't do one thing and that the thing she did do was for the wrong reason.

Better do nothing as long as you're on the right side, as far as they are concerned.
>>
>>8833801
You didn't understand my post if that's your takeaway.
First of all I did point out that Thatcher engaged in some largely symbolic "right moves" by knighting Ian McKellen and allegedly being nice to gay people in person.
Her party's history of enabling and inflaming homophobia in the 1980s is the problem. It simply does not square with an appropriate commitment to LGBT equality. It is the sign that her vote to decriminalize homosexuality was a tepid gesture of support, not something to be celebrated.
Section 28 definitively closed off a range of support options for LGBT youth. They couldn't be taught safe sex. No student could be formally introduced to the case against LGBT prejudice. Hate and ignorance were allowed to flourish. No guidance counselor could help a student understand and accept their orientation if they were gay. There was no help for them short of not being arrested for being themselves.
But I guess that wouldn't much bother you if you think that kind of adversity builds character. If you believe that it's natural and good for those who cannot procreate to experience a bit of shame at their otherness. If you believe that no amount of coddling from the nanny state could protect every trained victim from making bad decisions or having their feelings hurt.
>>
Allies don't exist.
Straight people cannot be LGBT icons.
Do not fall for their lies.
>>
>>8832576
>>8833801
this is why the term 'virtue signalling' was coined
>>
>>8833936
You literally condemned her for voting to make male homosexuality legal.
>>
>>8836753
I said her vote to legalize homosexuality was "not a surefire indicator of allyship" in the context of anti-LGBT action later in her career. When I said "it's pretty bad," I meant her overall record on LGBT rights, which I've explained I find lacking because of the things that happened *after* she voted to legalize homosexuality.
Everything she did after that just doesn't square with that initial vote, unless you believe that the right to gay sex is the only thing LGBT people need, or this was not part of an effort to make LGBT people equal in the UK.
>>
>>8831103
>"ace"
literally made-up bs
>>
>>8836941
She didn't flood the country with homophobes.
>>
>>8839526
But she did validate homophobes and enable the unchecked dominance of their views through Section 28. It's not like the homophobes were over there, and she can't be held accountable for their actions. She took definite steps to make life easier for them, and harder for their victims.
Now if you're talking about immigration, and implying that prejudice against LGBT people is only a problem when it's "imported," you aren't really saying Thatcher -- or any anti-immigration, anti-LGBT politician -- is actually good for LGBT people, just that the only viable alternative, pro-immigration and pro-LGBT leftists, is worse. But when we're talking about champions of LGBT rights, we aren't talking about the lesser of two evils. If a truly beneficial LGBT agenda is effectively impossible at the highest levels of government, if LGBT priorities will always be overruled by other larger constituencies like immigration activists or social conservatives, then celebrating government leaders who didn't cause the most conceivable harm as heroes of LGBT rights is just cheapening the more demonstrative good that can be achieved at the regional or local level.
>>
>>8831103
no and she was the worst thing to ever happen to this dumb country
>>
>>8840570
>pro-immigration and pro-LGBT leftists
Leftists aren't pro-LGBT.

By definition.
>>
>>8840570
WE WUZ VICTIMS N SHIT!!
>>
File: OP is a faggot 1.jpg (98KB, 680x709px) Image search: [Google]
OP is a faggot 1.jpg
98KB, 680x709px
>>8831103
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.