[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How did you choose your name, and is it "glamorous"?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 110
Thread images: 10

File: trannames.png (59KB, 640x344px) Image search: [Google]
trannames.png
59KB, 640x344px
How did you choose your name, and is it "glamorous"?
>>
gonna keep same name

its unisex and isnt anglo anyways
>>
>>8820388
>that image

Parents picked my name, Sophia.
>>
I went with Jessica because it's what my parents said they planned on naming me if I had been born a girl.
>>
>>8820388
Karina is mines. I can go with Rina for a Nickname. Its not fancy but I love it
>>
>>8820388
Can go for Alexa Alexandra Alexis or just Charlotte, i dont know if it's bad but those are the only names which feel like they are...fitting?
>>
>>8820404
Considering the same (Bethany)
>>
>>8820388
>Chelsea
>glamorous
u wot

I just picked one that had the same root name as mine and sounded a bit similar (same number of syllables, ending on the same consonant sound), and sounded plain and unassuming
>>
>>8820388
>Zoe
>>
I went to one of those "top 100 baby names" for my birth year. Took the top 25 girl names, removed any of them that i already had a close friend or a relative with that name, then drew one out of a hat.
>>
>>8820388
Chelsea isn't a weird name, and Julie and Bev were popular baby names probably 50 years ago.
>>
>>8820528
ay there bb
>>
I chose Olivia because it has the same frequency in my state as my birth name
>>
I have my dads name but everyone (starting with my parents) called me a nickname since i can remember that's actually insanely girly, but snowflake as fuck. So I went with that.
>>
>>8820394
Hey me too. Same name, same reason.
>>
>>8820388

I always started off with behindthename.com when looking for a name, and I was using the SSA's list of baby names to look for something in my age group. There was an issue with the baby name list though, as my parents were FOB Dominicans, the names on the list may not reflect my demographic. I was going to choose Emilia or Elizabeth, but then I decided against it and decided to ask my aunt for approval of a list of names I liked. I could have asked my mom what she would have named me just as I did when I was a 3rd grader, but she said twice recently the name she would have liked to name a daughter which I think her father suggested to her. Perhaps she's not even low-key suggesting I should use it, but I didn't think my mom would want to help me so I have not asked since childhood. But that name was Yane (or maybe Jane). It's a J sound like in jump followed by an open mouth AAAAAA. Then the ne is an n sound followed by "eh." That's too FOB for me. I don't want a name with an atypical spelling (a Yeison I know in DR's name is pronounced like Jason, and Yunior from Junior is considered a given name) or that sounds too different in English from Spanish. So I decided to go back to behindthename and look for names that have the same initials I do now, since I already have emails with those initials, particularly university emails. I selected the names I liked, and I sent them to my aunt for approval. Abigail, Ana, Anabel, and Angela were the ones she said were common among Dominicans. Angela went in the trash because I found out through her it carries an accent mark on the A in Spanish, and the less I complicate the orthography of my name, the better. So that really just left Abigail and Anabel on the table, but it sounds so ugly to have a first and middle name combination like that. I'm thinking of taking one of the rejected names, Alyssa, as my first name and Anabel as my middle.
>>
>>8820560
I just checked that and mine would be Diamond, didn't even know that's a name
>>
>>8821878

You should give this explanation every time you introduce yourself.
>>
>>8820394
Tfw relationship with parents trash so that option is out the table
>>
>>8821906

Was it that interesting?
>>
>>8821893
Do you live in like, Nevada?
>>
>>8820388
Same initial, and I can write it in cursive. Cassandra doesn't seem too pretentious to me. And I like the nickname Cassie :)
>>
I've always loved the name Valerie, something about it just makes me feel fuzzy inside when people call me it.

Is it /glamorous/?
>>
Samantha because I only ever met one in my life but she was also rad as fuck
>>
>>8820388
What kind of stupid tweet is that? Alice is the most common transgender name ever and it's a very normal name. Also how the fuck is Chelsea an abnormal name? I've seen the name Chelsea way more than "Bev."
>>
>>8821979
Not the same poster but it's just funny how in-depth it is despite being about something so simple. It is simultaneously extremely boring and extremely interesting, so I think everyone should experience this wild ride. Personally I think Emilia is the cutest name in your story.
>>
>>8822411
You should check out a movie called "Valerie and Her Week of Wonders."
>>
>>8822433
>Alice is the most common transgender name ever
Fuck. I should consider changing it then.
>>
I just went with one that looked like my birth name because it was easier.
>>
File: 325532325.png (334KB, 422x509px) Image search: [Google]
325532325.png
334KB, 422x509px
>Jessica

I would have used the name my mom was going to give me if I was a girl but we gave that to my dog.
>>
>>8822552
Do you prefer the dog's name?
>>
>>8822570
desu I could see it suiting me if I was born... female but it is kind of creepy too.
>>
File: 1354765893223.jpg (71KB, 559x598px) Image search: [Google]
1354765893223.jpg
71KB, 559x598px
>>8820388
>mfw I went with 'Gareth'
>>
>>8820388
Nah jane is pretty plain
>>
File: 4L_ENTY8gDe.jpg (23KB, 209x241px) Image search: [Google]
4L_ENTY8gDe.jpg
23KB, 209x241px
>>8820394
This is beyond cute, I wish I had this experience.

I chose Nika (neek-ah) because of my heritage and I wanted something to remind me where I came from. Also happens to be kinda similar to my birth name. I go by Nikki, too.
>>
>isn't it weird how trans people choose names they like

I bet you if more people named themselves we'd see that kind of thing in general population too
>>
My mom told me she'd have named me Alexandra if I'd been born a girl, so I just went with that.
Funnily enough, that also made me realize that no matter my gender, she named me her parents's genderbent name.
>>
>>8820388

For a while I had a few names floating around that I thought were all decent, but I finally settled on Kimberley because I'm a big fan of South African diamond mines.
>>
>>8823098
I had neighbors who named their kids the opposite sex version of their own names. It was kinda funny.

>>8820388
My mom's original choices if I had been born a girl were either stripper names, or names that were already taken by someone close enough to us. We decided to bounce ideas off each other, but nothing fit until last month, and she agreed with one. It was about the same popularity as mine was on the SS names list for my birth year. The requirements were that it couldn't be too prissy or frilly sounding, and had to be something Northern European. It's definitely a woman's name, not androgynous, which is a plus. It's nice to have it finally figured out, haha!
>>
>>8823075
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tg-Q-Acv4qs
>>
>>8823168
>either stripper names
Which ones?
>>
>>8823180
Harley was one of them. The other one, Twyla, was something that I pictured as name that would fit in a cheap Texas cowboy strip club from the 80's, in gaudy make up and outfits. I've never heard that name used irl.
>>
Chose the name of Evelyn because I liked the way it sounds.
I guess it's probably a glamorous name, but whatever. It's not an unheard of name or spelling, and it's something that a person who isn't a stripper would have.
>>
My name is Elizabeth. I just put a bunch of traditional British names in a bag and picked one out.
>>
>>8823248
>picking at random
I could never do that!
>>
>>8823251

I've never really cared much for names. Whenever I do creative writing picking names is the hardest task for me, because whatever you come you out with sounds corny. They were all names I liked anyway, so I would've been happy with any of them.
>>
>>8820388
My mom told me once what my name would have been if I was a girl when I was a little kid but I forgot. I want to ask but am afraid to, I don't want to arouse suspicion.
>>
>>8820388
M-my mom was going to name me Chelsea if I was a girl so I wanted to go with that but not of its a meme name
>>
My parents gave my name to me, named after my grandmother who was in the hospital at the time. Its their precious gift to me, the name they called me as a little baby.
>>
>>8820388
This guy is retarded, parents often pick weird names because they were born in a time with names that seem outdated today. Who the FUCK in this day and age thinks Bev would be a good name?
>>
>>8823296

??? Names go through trends, if you are aged 18+ Beverly is a fine normal name to have. Parents, by definition, are the ones setting name trends. I'm not even sure what you are trying to say.
>>
File: 1487143679799 (1).jpg (108KB, 800x708px) Image search: [Google]
1487143679799 (1).jpg
108KB, 800x708px
>Taylor
Why:
>From a rural, very conservative area that wishes it wasn't in a liberal state.
>Am very conservative myself at heart
>It's gender neutral, but is especially cute for girly boys (like me)
>It just seemed to match the persona I have created as a pale, brown-haired sweet girlyboy. Plus I wore red flannels a lot, I just looked like a 'Taylor'.
>Actually turned out to be the 7th most popular girl's name of my birth year, 1997- so it wasn't out of place and special snowflake

>Alaska
Middle name, Why:
>Am a polarphile, was born that way. It's a deep thing, something ethereal- about me.
>Phonetically it sounds sassy and feminine
>Middle names don't matter.

I'm surprised so many people here are actually talking about their names. For me, it makes me feel kind of vulnerable. I'm apprehensive because I feel like it creates an opening for people to invalidate my name as my "real name". Does anyone else feel the same?
>>
File: tumblr_oqkms5eeXG1rkp7hmo1_500.jpg (46KB, 500x282px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_oqkms5eeXG1rkp7hmo1_500.jpg
46KB, 500x282px
>>8820528

M-me too

Zoe

>>8820540

I'm not the Zoe you think you're talking to?
>>
File: 1502964091725.png (61KB, 480x420px) Image search: [Google]
1502964091725.png
61KB, 480x420px
I went with Mona because it's a pretty sounding old-lady-ish name. I've only ever gotten compliments on it in real life, but people here have noted that it's an unusual name.

Beatrice was my second choice.
>>
>>8823326
Taylor is a super cute name. I hear people with that name and I imagine them living in a cabin up near canada, enjoying nature. I dunno why but I do.

As for middle name, yeah, I like how they don't really matter. I think I'm gonna go with "Amelia" for mine, since Amelia Earhart has been one of my heroes since I was a little girl.

And I think people are open about their names here because it's an LGBT space, and it's a place where if people mock you, they won't know who you are next post, due to anonymity.
>>
I chose Ari.

The standard feminization of my name would have probably been "Erica" or something.

It's a shortening of my actual name because i don't want to disrespect my parents even though I probably can't come out to them.

I also knew a girl in High School my age who went by Ari, but I don't think I'll ever see her again.

I was considering changing my full name to Arianne and continuing to go by Ari, but I'm not particularly fond of the meaning being "Aryan" because I'm not a /pol/fag. I was also considering Arachne or Ariadne because I'm a huge nerd.
>>
>>8823339
>Amelia
I have an mtf friend who is also named Amelia and it ticks me off because my asshole grandma was named Amelia.

Judging by these two cases it seems like Amy/Amelia is a fairly popular trans name.

>>8823338
>Beatrice
>Mona
Are you 90?

>>8823326
I've only met guys with the name Taylor.
>>
>>8823338
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc3BsFZDERk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE8lPCZCjzE
>>
File: 1499014274444.png (139KB, 536x585px) Image search: [Google]
1499014274444.png
139KB, 536x585px
>>8823351
>are you 90
23. My friends all joke that I'm a grandma.

>>8823354
I like these songs
>>
Spencer Jeffrey. I need a second middle name though, my siblings and I have two each but I don't know how to pick another.
>>
>>8823351
>amy/amelia popular trans name
I think it's because it's an incredibly feminine name. It doesn't really have a counterpart that's a similar sounding masculine name.
It also sounds a bit formal or noble in my mind, and I think a lot of trans girls kinda like that.

I guess that's why I chose Evelyn as my first name, so I'm just a big walking stereotype for with naming.
>>
>>8823351
Ykno actually I have found that where I moved to, there is nothing but guys with the name taylor. It's really weird.

In california, taylor is popular for a girl.

I find that if you're from some backwoods fly-over state, taylor is more popular for a boy. I moved to a very irrelevant area, as opposed to california where I grew up.

Doesn't matter to me- just means I know who my people are. Taylor is a very girly name in my culture. California is a very very different place.
>>
>>8823375
You could use an older relative's name as a middle name. That's always a good choice- seems pretty common, and shows respect.
>>
>>8823383
Jeffrey is my dad's name and my brother already has our grandpa's name. Not a lot of family so that's all of them gone, really.
>>
>>8823387
Hmm... Any male figures that you look up to? Historical figures, authors, etc etc?
>>
>>8823382
I live in California desu.

Where are the girls named Taylor at? :v
>>
File: 1490403605117.jpg (51KB, 480x586px) Image search: [Google]
1490403605117.jpg
51KB, 480x586px
>>8823417
California has the best culture imo
I'm thinking of moving back.

Men are too feminine outside of california- masculinity and femininity means different things here. It's hard to find a boyfriend.
>>
>>8823389
>Steven
>Alexander
>Christopher
>?
>>
>>8823375
Do "Jefferson".
Be "Spencer Jeffrey Jefferson"
>>
>>8820388
Since when did Chelsea become a tranny name wtf :U It was popular for my birth year help
>>
>>8823474
Whenever a famous trans person has a name, that name becomes a trans name to some people

In all reality, Chelsea is a common name for cis girls. It's not some obscure name at all, don't let it get to you
>>
>>8823474
>Webb Hubbell's daughter's name
That gummy smile tho.
>>
>>8823340
Don't call yourself Arachne like an arachnid, that'd creep some people out. I like the Ariadne, Ari for short idea.
>>
I really hate the name my parents would have given me if I were a boy. I've always disliked it, even when I was a kid. However, I like the name my dad wanted to give me but my mum vetoed (named after a celebrity) more, so I used that as a middle name, but not as a first because it is a bit corny.

First name was harder. My birth name is kind of unusual so picking a top 100 names name felt very weird to me. I wanted a name tied to my culture to respect my family's wishes, but also something ethnically ambiguous enough that it wasn't going to cause issues on job applications or constantly get mispronounced, which was hard because my family had already used up most of those on my siblings and cousins. I ended up going through a load of baby name lists in the end and picking one with a meaning I liked.
>>
Seemed smart to never give my problem a name, as tempting as it was. When I finally outed myself to my parents they eventually asked about a new name and I told them I had nothing in mind and they were free to rename me.

My parents never had a name picked out for the other gender, they didn't name their kids until they had a gender known.

Dad immediately suggested Brandy. I thought it was too obvious and secretly thought it just sounded like a diminutive nickname version of my birth name instead of an new female one. I didn't want people to get the wrong idea. Mom "liked Brittany". I thought it sounded off.

Finally Dad suggested Brianna. I wanted to avoid that name because my older brother is Brian (this is why the BR of my first name had to be preserved). He felt because the vowel sound was different enough it was fine. So orally it was fine. I suggested spelling it Breana to further distance it in writing. Because Dad picked the first name Mom leaped at picking the middle name and suggested hers.

It's been a year since picking it out, my family doesn't use it. A few friends use Bree. My siblings and family mostly use "Bubs" because I've always been called that way more anyway. Dad had been calling me honey/hon/sweetie/sweetheart for about a decade before and just increased doing so. When I asked him about it in early puberty he said it was because I was "always a gentle and sensitive sweet boy". I wanted to tell him then.
>>
Before me or my brothers were born, my mom had made a list of what she would name her kids. She was expecting to have 3 sons and 2 daughters. She never had any daughters, so I just picked the most suiting names off of that list.
>>
>>8820388
Christopher => Christine
Everybody calls me Chris, never associated this name with any gender really
>>
>>8820388
Brooke. My mom told me it's what she would have named me if I was a girl.
>>
>>8820388
I threw out a few names to my friends, pretty common ones from my birth year. Violet is the one that stuck.
>>
>>8820388
I was pretty dead set on going for Aoife for a while since it's a nice name and one that I've always liked. Then out of nowhere the name Chloe just grew on me massively, nothing glamorous, no "Oh it's the place I realised who I really am", just because it's a nice name. The way it should be picked.
>>
>>8823375

Spencer Jeffrey Josephus
>>
when i was 14 i used dante as a nickname with some people and it just kind of stuck
>>
>>8824555
Deadname Danielle?
>>
>>8824555
go as count dante for halloween (google him).
basically an over-the-top ninjamaster with a jew fro, cartoonishly evil facial hair, and a resume that's only in competition with frank dux's for "biggest list of lies of all time"
>>
>>8820388
I chose Devan cause I knew a girl in 7th grade with that name. I figured if she could have been named that then theoretically I could have been named that if things turned out differently. idk. I don't think it's glamourous. It's gender neutral so it makes switching to it easier.
>>
>>8820388
明 > 明美
A conversion of Akira (more common as a male name) to Akemi since my mother's name uses 美.
>>
>>8825070
jesus christ that's the most weeby thing I've seen, actually naming yourself in japanese
>>
>>8820388
Similar popularity compared to birth name from the year I was born
>>
>>8820563
Nickname please?
>>
>>8825114
>Akemi since my mother's name uses 美
I could be wrong anon but I think theyre at the very least half Japanese
>>
>>8825114
tbqhon if they are japanese and had a japanese name then I think its ok
>>
>>8825324
>actual japanese person living in japan

Fucking weebs
>>
I used the name my mother was gonna use if I was a girl. Isaac -> Isabelle.
>>
>>8825114
...Her original name is Japanese and so is her mother's and "weeb" is where you mind goes?
>>
>>8820388
My parent's were going to name me the same thing regardless of gender. In the end, I changed it to a longer form of the same name, because I felt like it.
>>
>>8820388
Wanted to keep my initials, so I was gonna go with Lain or something.
Then I found out about anime.
Now I'm going with Lauren
>>
I'm about to legally change it from Daniel to Danielle. Someone tell me if this is a bad idea.
>>
Chloe. I think it sounds cute and I wanna be cute

So deep
>>
>>8826544
My roommate said something that really spoke to me: being trans means you essentially get a free excuse to change your name so why would you go for something as boring as the fem/masc version of your birth name

Pick something nice that feels right, just don't go overboard
>>
>>8820388
I went with an extremely common, yet still cute, name from the top 100 of my birth year. I just want to blend in and be as unnoticeable as possible.
>>
There is the obvious answer of something like >Alice
that showed a desire to be seen as some immaterial feminine ideal that I had identified with. Realizing the impracticality of attempting that and that it was also an extremely stereotypical over-anime exposed tranny name, I always thought that naming myself something absurd but vaugely usable like Augustus or Marmaduke would be the route I took.
>>
are the names lana or hannah ok?
>>
>>8820388
How do you all feel about the name Jade? It isn't too different from my birth name (Jed)
>>
>>8823326

this is the most afab post i've ever seen here
>>
>>8826787
Hannah is fine. I wouldn't use Lana though since that AGP Jew movie producer already took it.
>>
>>8820404
Exact same story here, my name is now Jessica as well.
>>
>>8826787
Hana
So you get the good asian meme points on applications.
>>
I chose a name that reflected my biological once since my parents didn't have a name for me if I was born biologically female

A female variant of my given name, if you will
>>
>>8827231
You say AGP like it's a bad thing.
>>
>>8822459

This reminds me of a time I posted a response to a handful of anons in a thread on /r9k/ once, and someone asked me if I had a blog where they could read more of my thoughts. I wasn't sure whether they were insulting me or were genuinely interested in seeing more of my thoughts, but it felt flattering. I think Emilia is really cute too, but my middle and first initials are AA, so I feel I should try to exhaust names starting with A first.
Thread posts: 110
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.