[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you all feel about de Beauvoir?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: mamaB.jpg (5KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
mamaB.jpg
5KB, 225x225px
“One is not born, but becomes a woman. No biological, physiological, or economic fate determines the figure that the human female presents in society: it is civilization as a whole that prodes this creature, intermediate between male and eunuch, which is described as feminine.”
>>
>>8800265
Can't tell if this is TERFy or trans-friendly
>>
Sure is a lot of flowery prose to imitate Judith Butler.
>>
>>8800294
lol
>>
>>8800265
When she said that she was only saying it from a feminist perspective, she didn't even know what a tranny was.
>>
>>8800265
de Beauvoir wasn't writing about transgenderism, (obviously, given the time); she was writing about the processes of social conditioning that make up "female socialization". She recognized that gender is something distinct from sex, and that women were not intrinsically inferior to men from birth, which was a big deal and the birth of feminism. To de Beauvoir gender was something unjust *done* to women. I don't think her writings are incompatible with our modern understanding of gender, but to say she wrote them in support of transgenderism oversimplifies and misappropriates her insight
>>
>>8800288
Some of the quintessential TERF talking points, that trans women don't undergo female socialization and that choosing to become a woman is distinctly different from having femininity (i.e. ritualized submission) coercively thrust upon you, can be traced back to her ideas transformed by second wave feminism.
>>
>>8800265
You're misrepresenting The Second Sex by cherry picking your quotes.
> Only the intervention of someone else can establish an individual as an Other. […] If, well before puberty and sometimes even from early infancy, she seems to us to be already sexually determined, this is not because mysterious instincts directly doom her to passivity, coquetry, maternity; it is because the influence of others upon the child is a factor almost from the start, and thus she is indoctrinated with her vocation from her earliest years.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.