[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should people watch the pronouns of fictional characters? For

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_0480.png (159KB, 241x400px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0480.png
159KB, 241x400px
Should people watch the pronouns of fictional characters?

For example, there's been controversy over the misgendering of pic related.
>>
>>8722120
If people get worked up over fictional characters. Then they aren't normal and must be somewhere on the spectrum
>>
>>8722126
It's not about the characters themselves.
It's about representation erasure.
>>
>>8722135
>representation erasure in a kids show
this shouldn't even exist. Why put it in a kids show and why make it an issue at all?
>>
>>8722120
is it a boi?
>>
>>8722135
Relevant
https://www.reddit.com/r/stevenuniverse/comments/6syfxh/heres_why_people_care_if_people_refer_to/
>>
>>8722120
I find it rather quaint that the US is so devoid of real problems that there are whole swaths of people who make a big deal out of a concept as utterly meaningless as "representation in fiction". perhaps if parents actually had the time to be present in their kid's lives instead of sedating them with a phone or tablet anytime they would otherwise be in a position to actually engage there would be no concern for such things considering that one's family, direct or extended, tends to have examples of exactly who you are capable of being

the answer is I don't care about pronouns. not on TV and not too terribly in real life. like if a stranger off-handedly misgenders me I'm not gonna care. I'm a boy living as a girl, either pronoun is accurate to a certain extent
>>
>>8722154
It's herm-chan
>>
>>8722150
Because nonbinary and genderfluid people exist?
What's so hard about that?
>>
>>8722154
>>8722168
It's a literal fusion between a boy and his girlfriend.
>>
>>8722120
So it come to this.
I don't know what's more degenerate.
This show or people who watch it.
>>
>>8722175
Which one did it get its sex from though?
>>
>>8722213
Definitely the people who watch it.

The show really isn't that bad when it comes to gender and sexuality, for the most part. The fanbase on their other hand takes it to another level.
>>
>>8722171
wrong
>>
>>8722216
How should I know?
>>
>>8722242
How am I wrong?
>>
If only we all spoke German.

In German, one could say, "hallo, ich bin der Tom" or "ich bin die Trixi" or "ich bin das Alex," and because the Germans have three gender-specific versions of 'the' (masculine der, feminine die, neuter das), nobody would ever be mispronouned ever again, in theory.
>>
>>8722252
nb and fluid are tumblr snowflake fantasies for boring people
>>
>>8722255
In english you can avoid gendering altogether. Beat that, german.
>>
>>8722261
Not true.
Haven't you seen the studies?
>>
>>8722162
>fiction
>utterly meaningless
>laughing jungians.jpg
You're not entirely wrong desu but that totally rubbed me the wrong way. Stories are the framework of our collective unconscious.
>>
>>8722280
there are studies showing ghosts and auras are real, don't cherrypick
>>
>>8722261
What's wrong with people identifying as other than male or female?

It's not like they're hurting anyone.
>>
>>8722308
I'm not cherrypicking.
Nonbinary people go through a lot of crap on their lives.
>>
>>8722171
>board is /lgbt/
>Brings up Nonbinary
Get out, Q-Worshipper.
>>
nonbinary= boring cishet
prov me wrong
>>
>>8722371
Nonbinary (or genderqueer) is recongnized as an official part of the LGBTQIA+.

I would have expected this board to know that.
>>
>>8722387
Nice bate fag
>>
There are only 2 genders.
>>
>>8722390
Not him but unfortunately that's the official title as of now.

I personally started hearing it back during pride month. I thought I was mishearing it at first.
>>
We're all going to die in this century. Who gives a fuck
>>
>>8722391
Not true.

Trans and intersex people exist.
>>
>>8722396
Says you, I was birthed today and am typing this still attached to the umbilical cord.
>>
>>8722396
The nonbinary who will inherit the earth.
>>
>>8722398
>intersex
intersex condition not a fucking gender nor a third sex grow up cissy
>>
>>8722384
You're wrong.
>>8722159
>>
>>8722401
Yeah have fun expressing your gender in a barren nuclear hellscape where nothing is safe to eat or drink and everyone is fucking dead.
>>
>>8722398

Those aren't genders, you delusional fuck.
>>
>>8722384
>Who is Tyler Ford?
>>
>>8722411
>no assholes to disrespect or misgender nb people
Sounds like a good deal to me.
>>
>>8722213
You've never heard of Danger and Eggs, have you?
>>
>>8722405
By that logic, being gay is now a mental illness.
See, I can play that game too.
>>
File: images (2).jpg (4KB, 125x94px) Image search: [Google]
images (2).jpg
4KB, 125x94px
>>8722444
>>8722429
https://www.tumblr.com
>>
>>8722460
Tumblr and /lgbt/ are the same thing.
>>
>>8722451
>By that logic, being gay is now a mental illness.
is homosexuality a sexuality
intersex physical conditions
how hard is it?
>>
>>8722120
Does this thing have a penis or not? If yes its a he, if not then its a she.
>>
>>8722464
Then you won't have a problem sticking to tumblr. You will not be missed.
>>
>>8722479
That's not how things work.
>>
>>8722479
It's a literal fusion.
What's the protocol for that?
>>
>>8722371
Non binary is t, no one is assigned non binary at birth.
>>
>>8722510
They should though.
>>
>>8722216
>>8722479
Why are people so obsessed with what's in people's pants?
>>
>>8722488
Yes it is

>>8722537
Because its the most basic way of determining gender. Just because you put on women's clothes doesn't make you a woman. Putting on a lab coat doesn't make me a doctor.

>>8722495
A freak of nature.
>>
>>8722537
Because "does it have a Y chromosome or two X's" isn't as snappy
>>
>>8722553
>Yes it is
Then explain how some women can have male genitalia?
>>
>>8722510
Non-binary is not trans. Trans means you are the opposite of your birth biological gender. Non-binary means you are a cishet girl in college looking for attention.
>>
>>8722602
In meiosis genes are exchanged through homologous chromosomes. On very rare occasions, genes from the Y chromosome are transferred to the X chromosome. This is not a normal thing, it is literally a mistake on a genetic level. You can not use genetic mistakes as a way to say some people think they are the wrong gender.
>>
>>8722602
you mean trans or intersex?

you really grasping for straws here..
>>
>>8722387
Can we just put a fucking asterisk on the end or something?

LGBT*
>>
>>8722609
>Non-binary means you are a cishet girl in college looking for attention.
That's not true at all.
>>
>>8722171
>implying nonbinary/genderfluid is real
what is it like to be retarded anon?
>>
>>8722672
That's what the + is supposed to be for.

Adding a bunch of letters and still including the + defeats the whole purpose.
>>
>>8722697
>implying that nonbinary and genderfluid people don't exist
What's it like being bigoted anon?
>>
>>8722697
t. Alt-right
>>
>>8722553
>Putting on a lab coat doesn't make me a doctor.
OR DOES IT
>>
This does not particularly affect me, but I think correct gendering of fictional characters should be done.

It's really triggering when people use "she" for female Ranma, he obviously identifies as a boy, and should be referred to as such regardless of what form he is in. (Unless you read really into it and think of Ranma 1/2 as an advanced critique of gender roles, and Ranma is actually a girl who suffers from a restrictive society who denies her even the possibility of seeing herself in that way and I think I had some arguments for this but it's probably reading too much into is)
>>
>>8722767
>triggering
Now where have I seen that before...
>>
>>8722171
I'm pretty lefty, but aren't people who identify as those terms just stating their belief that gender roles are dead? It's an opinion that one can choose to hold. Not a mental condition that one has no choice over developing like homosexuality or transexuality. In fact, I believe we almost certainly shouldn't be representing opinions in kids' shows.
>>
>>8722767
>It's really triggering
Fireworks being set off near a 'Nam vet's home is triggering.

Referring to a fictional character with the wrong gender shouldn't trigger people.
>>
>>8722682
okay some non-binary people are cishet girls and in highschool looking for attention. But the majority of them are in college taking out loans they can't repay with their womens studies degree.
>>
>>8722771
>>8722784
I'm sorry, I didn't mean "triggering" in the literal way, I meant it in the joking, ironic, memey way that's popular many places on the internet. I don't literally get triggered, I just have a slight emotional reaction and get a little bit upset.
>>
>>8722705
it's about ERASURE GOD
>>
>>8722784
"trigger" is an ironic term now. What's it like back there in 2014?
>>
>>8722792
So only straight people misgender people?
>>
>>8722171
White cishet women have enough representation in all media already. No need to stick in more for additional diversity points.
>>
>>8722387
>Nonbinary (or genderqueer) is recongnized as an official part of the LGBTQIA+
>LGBTQIA+
The Pink Court has officially vetoed that decision, and effectively rendered it null and void.
>>
>>8722854
Because as we all know, anecdotal evidence is all the proof we need.
>>
>>8722778
>In fact, I believe we almost certainly shouldn't be representing opinions in kids' shows.
Why the fuck not?
>>
File: Capture+_2017-08-09-20-14-44.png (251KB, 528x416px) Image search: [Google]
Capture+_2017-08-09-20-14-44.png
251KB, 528x416px
I can't tell who's from Tumblr and who's not anymore
>>
>>8723075
Simple.
>LGBT
4chan
>LGBTQIAAP++
tumblr
>>
>>8722162
t. Third World
>>
>>8722609
Trans just means you don't identify with the gender you were assigned
>>
>>8722120
Geeze that thing is hideous. Ugly things should be banned.
>>
>>8723102
t. Bigot
>>
>>8722120
Fuck off op.
>>
>>8722793
Some are legitimate trannies too.

I'm ftm. Girlfriend and everything. People call me everything and that's cool. People close to me have naturally started using "they" and I think it's the coolest fucking thing. That way I don't have to care at all about others while still transitioning for myself.

But a lot of them are snowflakes, yes.
>>
>>8723943
The world would be a much better place if we all used they.
>>
>>8723036
obvoiusly children are impressionable and you shouldn't impose your views upon them. It's the same reason why I dislike adverts during cartoons.
>>
>>8724068
>obvoiusly children are impressionable and you shouldn't impose your views upon them.
But it's okay when Trump does it, right?
>>
>>8722120
>This whole thread
You people disgust me.
>>
>>8722120
fictional characters do not have rights or emotions are you really this retarded?
Thread posts: 91
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.