[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

assuming sex is different than gender, then what is sex? is it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: 1451760374225.jpg (34KB, 350x291px) Image search: [Google]
1451760374225.jpg
34KB, 350x291px
assuming sex is different than gender, then what is sex? is it your genitals? then why do transwomen get their dicks inverted? and how many sexes are there? what are the names of the different sexes?
>>
>>8654643
Sex is anatomical. The variants are the obvious, male and female, plus the many intersex anomalies. The likely future will include many more intersex anomalies.

"Gender identity" can unfortunately mean whatever you want it to, leading to the infamous tumblr genders. Most the idea of "gender identity" is just used to explain people with opposite-sex neurological characteristics (trannies).
>>
"Sex" is the genetic marker which leads to dymorphic physical development in humans: male and female, determined by chromosomes. In early development, these hormones develop the basic sexual characteristics, being the reproductive organs.

"Sex" is typically what people obsess over, expecting certain gender to reflect sex.
>>
>>8654643
>assuming sex is different than gender

Assuming that dogs are horses
Assuming that 2 = 5
Assuming that pigs can fly

Literally the same thing. Someone with a social studies degree saying they're different is not evidence.
>>
>>8654643
As I understand it all:

There are 2.x sexes, where '.x' is 'intersex'. You can also sum those up to mutations or whatever, but as many varying kinds as there are, it's easier to use a broad grouping. Then there's male and female.

Some transwomen, myself included, get SRS (or will, in my case -- also, there are surgeries for FtM, who get left out of conversations far too much, but this reasoning also applies to them as I understand it). This is because of physical dysphoria. We've got problems beyond just being transgender, we've got mismatches so bad that just bringing social roles and our gender expressions into line isn't enough.
>>
>>8654666
>>8654668
so gender is in your head, and if you are trans that means you see yourself as a gender that is different than your sex. transitioning is changing your sex to be in line with your brain, so would transsexual be better than transgender? is transgender only used because transsexual is considered offensive for some reason?
>>
>>8654671
They are biologically two different things.

Genotypical sex is whether you have XX or XY chromosomes.
Phenotypical sex is the expression of those genes, which means genitals, secondary sex characteristics, etc.

Your chromosomes are what cause your body to sexually differentiate. This differentiation extends to how your brain is structured. How your brain is structured is the primary thing that causes you to feel a subjective sense of what sex you are and what sex role you fit into - that's "gender."

We know this in part because of neuroimaging studies done on trans people (who are, on average, neurologically intersex but leaning towards the sex they identify with) and from studies done on people with traumatic brain injuries (which sometimes causes sex dysphoria in people who didn't previously have it).
>>
>>8654678
>so would transsexual be better than transgender?
Yes.

>is transgender only used because transsexual is considered offensive for some reason?
Yes. And yes, it's some stupid Third-Wave crap that the term became "transgender." It quite literally doesn't make any sense.

t. tranny
>>
>>8654678
>if you are trans that means you see yourself as a gender that is different than your sex
Essentially. Trans people have opposite-sex neurological characteristics, causing them to feel dysphoric with their body's sexual characteristics and their social life in their assigned sex.

>transitioning is changing your sex to be in line with your brain
No, transitioning cannot change a person's sex and that is not the goal so far as I (a cis person) understand it. Maybe this is why the word transgender is preferred by some. The transition as far I know is about relieving the dysphoria of the body's sexual characteristics and general appearance (new clothes, hormone treatments, possibly surgery). The goal is to be able to socialize as the gender matching their neurological characteristics.
>>
>>8654697
They are literally, and biologically not 2 different things

Now keep "feels" out of this discussion in future
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_uEXzqW43c&t=1s
>>
>>8654807
That wig is a shit.
>>
>>8654814
no shit
>>
>>8654702
This. So much this. I explicitly call myself transsexual if I ever even mention it at all for this reason. Yes there are parts that are to do with Sex that cannot be changed by surgery but that's getting into semantics no one actually thinks about.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.