[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Questions for trans people in the IT and CS career

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

I just turned 18, starting hrt because i'm a femboy (or repressing mtf, idk if i'm the femboy meme). I just got approved in my uni for IT. Sincerely idfk why i've choose IT, i don't have ambitions in life and when i saw "lmao computers", being a 17yo retard, i tried the exams with low expectations and got approved in a well respected university in my country (like wtf this will never happen again, Luck +1000). Some people told me IT is the "easy" mode of CS that's why i choose it.

I have a couple questions (because many lgbt people work in this area):
>Why did you choose this degree?
>Did you had prior programming knowledge?
>Did/do you regret something?
>Do you like/are you good at maths?

And for a last question, do you think a retard with average intelligence can do this? I mean, i find programming interesting, and i've spent my ENTIRE life on computers, but i can't manage to learn maths. I know, everyone tells me "JUST STUDY RETARD" and i try, i promise but i NEVER LEARN, it doesn't matter how much tutors or classes i took in the last years i'm really miserable and idiot and i'm planning to kill myself after i get some things done.

I literally randomly answered math and physics tests because i didn't knew what the fuck was going on, despite having lots of knowledge on meme and so-called useless areas like Languages, History, etc.

Even if i've spent my LIFE on computers, i never did anything useful, The only thing i've ever did was learn the BASIC of BASICS of HTML.

I can't really say "no" because my parents would probably disown me (It's "better" to come out as trans than refuse this university) so i'll probably take it for a year and give up if i can't handle it (No costs in university). I have until july 27 to make the decision, i'll not tell them yet. Advice please ;-;
>>
>>8608840
Honestly minus the first sentence and parts of the last paragraph this could've gone on /g/, this is barely /lgbt/ related.
>>
>>8608840
I'm not quite in CS, I'm in natural sciences but my field of research has a lot of programming. I didn't have prior knowledge before college, and I'm average at math. I managed to get past Diff Eq and Abstract Algebra's with B's. From what I hear from CS majors, being able to code before entering college is a huge plus, but not necessary. If you hate math, do web design. Don't worry about being a useless idiot, everyone is at your age. College is an opportunity to gradually stop being a useless idiot.
>>
>>8608840

I had prior experience going into college but honestly programming isn't that hard. If that type of thinking is going to work for you then just take the intro programming course and see how you do. If you read your book and even slightly apply yourself you can do better than 80% of the people in cs desu most people don't belong their and have no clue.

Also go IT is shit unless you want Townsend your life working support desks or fucking with wireless routers.

You don't need internships and stuff. I hate a 3.4 gpa (my freshman year was all drugs) and I'm now working a good job tbat pays the bills.

If you're good at it and hate it you can always do it for money and switch careers later.

Pros: liberal field, lots of Work, you're going to have insurance

Cons. First job sucks to get. It will probably suck. After a couple years of experience your life will get easier.
>>
>>8608840
What's the highest math you've taken? Generally IT won't require more than basic College algebra, or maybe something a little higher like Precalculus/Trigonometry.
But idk, i might be wrong about that stuff (history major here)
>>
no homo... topy
Just solve some simple but deep problems, get the feeling of happiness from doing them and interest in the theory behind. Then, you read good math books and understand how beautiful and structured it is.
>>
>>8608840
>Sincerely idfk why i've choose IT, i don't have ambitions in life

IT was made for people who have no direction in their life.
>>
glad i got here early

kill yourself op, stopped reading after this

>I just turned 18, starting hrt because i'm a femboy (or repressing mtf, idk if i'm the femboy meme). I just got approved in my uni for IT. Sincerely idfk why i've choose IT, i don't have ambitions in life and when i saw "lmao computers", being a 17yo retard
>>
>>8608852
Sorry about that, i've posted here because many trans people choose this career and maybe someone can relate to ym situation

>>8608859
>>8608872
Thanks anons, this encourages me to try it. The liberal field and possibilities of work are really interesting. Maybe if i apply myself i can do it and switch to cs later. Actually i will try it, since i'm tired of having to set up routers for my family.

>>8608885
I've tried to apply during my life, i had good grades except for the three last (and more important) years, when depression settled in and I barely passed them.

>>8608939
I never heard of it... this can be useful, thanks

>>8608945
lol i've heard that, maybe if i manage to learn i'll study and switch to cs later

>>8608947
>stopped reading after this
Not a wise thing to do, Lenin followers did the same thing and starved to death later :'(
>>
>>8608840
i know like two programmers who are actually any good at real math, and even they just spend most of their time doing basic shit for the tor protocol

you don't even need calc just learn the arithmetic-y part of linear algebra and you're good
>>
>>8608840

Programmer here for a financial institution in the middle of bum fuck nowhere.

It really depends on what you want to go for. I usually split CS into 3 categories: IT, Front End and Back End

IT: This is you standard tech support who takes calls and helps fix shit. Its good if you enjoy talking with people, but if you are an introvert or shy, probably bad.

Front End: This is your web design, Javascript/PHP/HTML guys. This is usually working with making forms and trying to get UIs/GUIs up to snuff so they are easily usable and look good.

Back End: These are your people who do development or take care of the back end systems like databases and servers. These guys can get quite technical especially if you are trying to optimize database storage or work on interfacing with back end servers.
>>
>>8608840
What kind of money can you make doing this shit?
>>
>>8609794
Cs 2 yrs exp. Just shy of 70k/yr, with health insurance and dental.

That's software dev not help desk.
>>
>>8609751
Isn't the front end/back end dichotomy specific to web development? Does the same distinction exist for systems and application programmers?
>>
>>8610439
It really just depends in what you work on.

I work an a webapp and my job inclined front end and back end work. I don't manage thebsatabses but I do a fair amount of work and design tables for them when necessary.
>>
Is it possible to get an IT job with awful math skills? I have dyscalculia and it is ridiculously hard to memorize fomulas and understand math, but I still like math and technology
>>
>>8611749
And by awful I mean below average on the SATs...
>>
>>8611749
For IT yes. I think the highest math was maybe calc 1, but might have been college algebra.

CS will require higher maths tho.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.