[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

New Therapies for Dysphoria

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 9

File: zak.jpg (611KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
zak.jpg
611KB, 2048x1536px
Is /lgbt/ a transgender hugbox?

If scientists were able, through talk therapy and a new medication, or even ye olde CRISPR, create a therapy that reduced dysphoria, without requiring transition; would you be willing to take it on a doctor's recommendation?
>>
>>8599741
Fuck no. Without dysphoria and transitioning, I'd be bored as hell.
>>
Whats with /pol/'s obession with our biological sex?

why not just make transitioning easier(like being born with an andro skull instead of a masc or fem one)
>>
>>8599741
Define dysphoria?

I wouldn't want to give up the part of me that leads me to wishing to be female, but if being male felt less unpleasant it would be good.

Either way though it's never going to happen and will only ever be a thought experiment.
>>
>>8599798
What if you felt more comfortable living as a male due to medication, talk, and/or gene therapy?
>>
>>8599741
Dysphoria isn't just about how you feel in your body, it's also about how other people respond to your outward appearance. As a short guy dealing with height dysphoria I'd rather just be tall and live the social and inner life of a normal height/tall man than to be "okay" with being short and still dealing with the way society treats short people.
>>
>>8599839
>felt more comfortable living as a male
It depends on exactly what this would be. I guess so? I don't want to feel uncomfortable. But I'm uncomfortable because of my desire to be female and I never want to give that up.
>>
LOL /LGBT/ A HUGBOX

fuck i fucking wish, this place is literally making trans people here even more distorted about reality and hwo they are actually viewed outside this website. this place is actual cancer
>>
>>8599857
This.
>>
>>8599741
Most people here wouldn't. They think of themselves as "men who feel like women", not as women.
If that identity was taken away, they would feel like a child being abandoned, left to die, alone, empty.
>>
>>8599741
that therapy exists it's called LSD

if anyone can take a moderate-to-strong dose of LSD and still believe that they have gender dysphoria and need a sex change instead of just wanting one, I will be genuinely surprised.
>>
>>8599741
Yep. It's a cult. It's fine to mutilate your body! You are a gril inside!
>>
File: 1499368206013.png (166KB, 438x503px) Image search: [Google]
1499368206013.png
166KB, 438x503px
>>8599891
I promised myself I would stop going on /lgbt/. It makes me more doubtful and depressed about my upcoming transition than /sci/ or /g/ ever could with cringy "trans r fags" threads.
>>
>>8599741
>>8599741
>Is /lgbt/ a transgender hugbox?
yes

>>8599741
>If scientists were able, through talk therapy and a new medication, or even ye olde CRISPR, create a therapy that reduced dysphoria, without requiring transition; would you be willing to take it on a doctor's recommendation?

No they wouldn't because LGBT fetishize """identity""" more than any other aspect of life

Better to be an aids afflicted faggot than a repressed homo with a good life.
>>
>>8599741
I regard a magic treatment the same way I would regard being biologically born cis. It would be great, but it would fundamentally change who I am. Transition is all about being able to be comfortable in your own skin. That being said it's a shitty affliction and I would take a magical pill that would make it go away today. I just can't imagine what it would be like not wanting to be female.
>>
>>8600538
Rather than getting mad, try disproving them

Or are you trying to say you hate acknowledging reality? This is common with trannies
>>
>>8600518
There are tons of trannies who have done LSD you idiot.
>>
>>8600553
>changing who I am meme

You change who you are all the time, and you are a different person than you were a year ago. This isn't bad

If you were comfortable in your own skin without transitioning, what would be the issue?
>>
>>8600556
I don't get mad about /sci/ or /g/, I get depressed by /lgbt/... Saying "lel, trannies" and calling people gay for liking traps is fine, entertaining even when done tactfully. I just cant stand a giant thread dedicated to repression, or seeing people who look more passable than I could ever hope to be shot down. If this community is therapeutic for some then good for them. I don't know why I keep coming back daily. My bet would be it enables the most real dialogue I could have with people like me... Too like me. So like me that pre-transition self loathing extends to them. All this contempt makes it that much better when I see something genuinely encouraging on this board.
>>
>>8599741
Let me ask you something. Why are transphobes more interested in hypothetical magic cures for dysphoria rather than actually helping and improving the treatments we already have for trans people? It's almost as if they're more focused on erasing our existence rather than actually helping us.

Really makes you think.

Since we're on the topic of science fiction, would trans people here rather take a magic pill to make them not trans or get a completely seamless sex change that changes their sex and sex characteristics all the way down to the chromosomes?
>>
>>8600570
"it's a shitty affliction and I would take a magical pill that would make it go away today. I just can't imagine what it would be like not wanting to be female."

There would be no issue, I totally agree. I just can't see it from a perspective where it wouldn't just be jumping back into the closet because the trans part of me is so fundamental to my general wellbeing.
>>
>>8600587
Whats wrong with repression?

Also traps ARE gay, they have a dick, and normalizing a dick during sex is a good step to being a faggot.
>>
>>8600623
I would argue that the more you accept / participate in a way of thinking, the stronger it becomes.
>>
File: ErY6w0d.jpg (78KB, 749x735px) Image search: [Google]
ErY6w0d.jpg
78KB, 749x735px
>>8600630
Nothing is wrong with repression it just harkens back to a time I was really unhappy...
> If this community is therapeutic for some then good for them

Yep traps are gay
>>
>>8600645
My argument would be that gender is biologically determined and there is no further causation to be found in acceptance or rejection of what cards you are dealt in that department. I could repress till a miracle cure arrives (it won't) or transition, empirically, one of those routes leads to further depression and the other has been shown to causally alleviate it.
>>
>>8600681
Gender is a social construct =D
>>
>>8600518
I've done lsd a few times
Felt better as far as depression for a few days after, but dysphoria was still present
>>
File: 1496109194835.jpg (48KB, 640x410px) Image search: [Google]
1496109194835.jpg
48KB, 640x410px
>>8600695
>>
>>8600501
I doubt most of the trans people on /tttt/ are actually trans.
>>
>>8599741
Absolutely yes. The fear of how people will treat me when I'm no longer conveniently attractive scares the shit out of me and is the sole barrier between me transitioning and me being the same miserable fuck I've always been. No dysphoria means no need to change. Sign me up.
>>
>>8599741
>through talk therapy
no
>and a new medication, or even ye olde CRISPR
Yes
>>
>>8600726
Define "actually trans"?
>>
>>8600501
Because we're not delusional. We're not women, we want to be women.
>>
File: download (2).jpg (5KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
download (2).jpg
5KB, 225x225px
>>8600656
Traps are not gay REEEEEEEE
>>
>>8599741
yeah if i get free surgery to remove my tits included
otherwise no
>>
>>8599741
I would accept it right away.
>>
File: nJ90F7I.jpg (161KB, 960x516px) Image search: [Google]
nJ90F7I.jpg
161KB, 960x516px
>>8600802
Well... Not gay until the benis
>>
>>8600832
I want Dolan to do that. It would be fucking amazing. It would completely destroy the left without even trying.
>>
>>8599741
yeah if it makes me happy being a man and removes the selfhate, sure
>>
>muh CRISPR
This is how you spot a total imageboard retard possibly with /pol/ inclinations. He thinks he understands the shit he talks about but he's knee-slappingly clueless tbqh famicom.
>>
>>8599741
Also what some outsiders dont understand is that trans people develop identity of the opposite gender, its not just "I want to look and be treated like the other gender", its a very deeply rooted part of the personality
>>
>>8600602
I don't think it is magical I think something behaving like an antipsychotic but without the weight gain side effect would work.
>>
>>8599741
No, I want to be a girl so badly. It's difficult to explain. I don't see how the option of taking a pill would cause me to cave in and live life as a man. I'd have to want to be a man in the first place. Also, this pill will only "reduce dyphoria" so what's the point?
>>
>>8601294
As a gay man here's how I imagine it. I'm pretty fem, but I imagine if I were more fem and more autistic maybe I'd think I was so girly that I basically was a girl and I'd get treated better as a girl cuz I basically act like one. I don't agree with neurological intersex as a theory but I don't think it is as concrete as homosexuality. I think it is innate but I think it is probably easier to reverse as the genes are less hardy that cause it or they would show up in more people. It seems like an extreme version of the caretaker, androphilic gene ideas where you are even more repelled by the idea of having kids (usually, on average). I know I want kids but I see homosexuality as having androphilic genes intended for women for greater reproduction rates. And like trans are SO interested in men, even more than straight men, that a gene(s) intended to make women more fertile make you so against reproduction some would even self-castrate and they feel the need to be attractive to straight men, which I do not. Just my pet theories, I know I haven't backing for much except the female relatives of homosexuals having more kids so maybe its an X chromosome gene thing.
>>
>>8599741
yes of course
>>
>>8601335
What if it made you gain weight?
>>
>>8601323
What about gynephilic trannies?
>>
>>8601380
I view that as more of a fetish. I'm not sure to what extent, honestly, not trying to be rude here, transgender HSTS are trying to seduce straight men or view themselves as feminine enough to be "worthy" of their love but maybe HSTS get off on it too. Its hard to know not being it and its shameful so people lie about it and the honest ones are probably already involved in drugs or crime so they don't care. Bruce Jenner killed a lady.
>>
>>8601394
Like on one hand I feel bad for AGP because they are often married to women and it can get out of control for them but on the other hand to my knowledge most don't actually believe they are women so thats a +. The crossdressing doesn't bother me at all its the reliance on hormones and elective surgery over trying to discover new psych meds and therapies for the dysphoria that seems like a crutch to me and probably is PLEASURABLE for them but I don't think its enough.
>>
>>8601095
This.
>>
>>8601323
>if I were more fem and more autistic
Well, you are pretty autistic already my man.
>>
>>8601706
how so?
>>
>>8601706
Oh, come on, just let him have his theory.
>>
>>8599741
>CRISPR
What are you going to do with it?
>>
>>8601404
>but on the other hand to my knowledge most don't actually believe they are women so thats a +.
Oh no they definitely do. The ones who don't are the exceptions.
>>
first generation of cureanons cure is going to be some side effect pill.

remember the first cure for parkinsons? LOL it makes u develop worse parkinsons after a few years.

cutting off your balls and injecting estrogen is as natural and close to human as it gets, everyone.

all your cure-aspies require a laboratory to develop.

even in our old world, all it took was a knife and some soy products.

crispr? yeah in a century it will be available - and a century after, we will learn it planted a virus in our dna.
>>
>>8601891
Edit out the genes for autism in gay males.
>>
>>8599777
Whats with LGBT's obsession of "feelings" over facts?
>>
>>8600802
you sound gay anon.

>>8600821
Are you sure you wouldn't first insist its a lie, and you cannot change your GD?

>>8601907
>cutting off balls and injecting hormones is natural
>>
>>8601922
>t. projecting /pol/ shitposting spammer
>>
File: 1485562168149s.jpg (6KB, 250x188px) Image search: [Google]
1485562168149s.jpg
6KB, 250x188px
>>8599741

Based on what ive read about the current science on this, being trans is like a 'mild' form of being intersex. That means if you are MtF you literally have a female brain, and vice versa. The problem lies in the body they have, not their brain. (lets forget about 'transtrenders' for now because that will just complicate the matter too much)

Therefore, Im skeptical that any treatment like this could do much good for people that have already been suffering under the weight of gender dysphoria for multiple years. Assuming transgirls/transguys have the brain of the gender they identify as, I can see some SERIOUS side effects in trying to suppress a natural part of their body's expression.

Id rather see better transition related technology for those people. Such as better hormones, better methods of GD detection, better SRS, less bigotry in modern society, etc....

If I ever decided to have a kid though, I would DEFIANTLY want to scan the fetus's genes so that I can hopefully prevent GD and other bullshit like cancer, autism, dyslexia, etc....through genetic wizardry.

This conversation is kind of pointless though. Our disease doesn't seem important enough in the eyes of society, so we will be lower priority. CRISPR is gonna be working on stuff like cancer and parkinsons first. Im guessing maybe in 20 or so years they'll get around to helping trannys out, hopefully I'll be proven wrong.
>>
>>8602131
>you literally have a female brain

they wish
>>
File: 1424835142168.png (405KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1424835142168.png
405KB, 800x800px
>>8599839
>>8599857

More options are always a good thing. Its sad, but not everyone will be in the best life situation to transition. Very few people want to be a hon, and with transition results being so random and nebulous...its a risk not everyone is willing to take.

Sometimes I think transgirls in situations like this would be better off pretending to be an ultra feminine gay/bi dude. You still get 'most' of the benefits. You can always become a drag queen, wear breast forms...etc. Seems like I see a lot of gay guys that act more 'like woman' than woman do sometimes.

So if some medication like that came out, I might try it.

Being a femmy gay dude has got to be easier than being a hon....course I really want some boobs though
>>
>>8602165
But they literally are ultra feminine gay and bi dudes.
>>
>>8602165
just become a dickgirl then get some boobs.
>>
>>8599772
>bored
i think this is the real problem
>>
>>8602133
This, my brain is a boy's.
>>
>>8601085
Biology fag here Crispr is a damn miracle so it is damn possible.
>>
>>8602462
If by some miracle, you've got hold of a typewriter, does it make possible for you to be a Shakespeare?
>>
>>8600518
Tbhon an lsd trip is part of what motivated me to actually transition instead of just repressing.

Acid made me trans.
>>
>>8601881
>let him have his theory

If you can call it a theory. It's just a guess, a guess that doesn't even make much sense. Like it has as much weight as if I were to say "I have a theory that rainbows are so colorful because they reflect the tiny bits of pure magical energy that secretly hides in all water droplets are small enough because nothing is more sacred than tiny water drops". Like it's literally nothing but some shit he pulled out of his ass.
>>
>>8602622
water droplets can't be women.
>>
Give me the experimental meds, tamper with my DNA, have Mike Pence strap me to a tesla coil, idgaf. If there were some way to cure my GD in an instant, I would

If I were at peace with myself, I could probably become an alright man with a wife and kids. Instead, I'm on the road to becoming some sterile, cone-titted hon
>>
>>8601095
> its not just "I want to look and be treated like the other gender", its a very deeply rooted part of the personality
This is my primary problem with "cure" ideas. If we could come up with a cure, that would be great. But I've said before it could really only be applied to very young children (at the oldest), before a sense of self develops.

If you're old enough to be posting here, you're many, many years too old for a "cure." It would just cause some kind of terrible mental split.

>>8601323
>I don't think it is as concrete as homosexuality
Gender identity is much less mutable than sexuality, friendo.

HRT shifted my sexual orientation. Nothing EVER has shifted my sense of my own gender.

>>8601394
Gender identity is present from early childhood, but it's a fetish depending on what sexual orientation you have as an adult?
Blanchardfags, please go.
>>
>>8602805
Wait from what to what did HRT shift your sexual orientation?
>>
>>8602131
If MtF's had "female brains", they'd have female skulls as well. But no, they still have the same skull sizes as other men to house their bigger male brains. Female brain in a male body is just a meme people made up so it'd be easier to explain to normies
>>
>>8602131
>That means if you are MtF you literally have a female brain, and vice versa.
It's more like part-way in-between.
You see we've basically identified consistent patterns in the densities and other attributes of the white and grey matter of various regions of the brain that seem to be associated with men and women.
Basically sexual neurological differences.
We've identified a certain degree of variation from the normal range of those patterns in some regions to some extent.

We've further looked at the brains of gay people and identified more significant consistent neurological differences in some regions that basically place the sexual patterns in-between the norm for the sexes beyond the observed "normal variation".
We also did the same for trannies and found even more consistent significant differences both in the extent of the regions and the degree to which the sexual patterns are more like those of the opposite sex.
We have found these differences consistently in everyone we've tested and importantly we have not only found differences in people who have not begun hrt but we have identified differences in structures that are set around the womb and are afterward non-plastic(that is not exhibiting the characteristic of some neurological structures to change in response to chemical or environmental factors). Unfortunately those last structures are too small to observe without first dissecting the brain and so can not be used for diagnosis, although even if it could people who just don't like trannies would certainly just move the goalposts and say it doesn't matter.

Now all this is the pure fact of the matter based on physical observation in research but it hardly explains all the underlying mechanisms. It's very exciting groundbreaking science that offers a new understanding not just of trannies but of human sexuality and variation in general.
I fully welcome continued research and would love to see more research resources put towards it.
>>
>>8602816
Made me like females WAY more. I was about 70/30 attracted more to men and then T resulted in fapping to nothing but tits. Prior to HRT, I would never have bothered with porn that didn't have a guy in it...even if it did have a hot girl, that wasn't enough. I've barely looked at gay porn since (and watched some girl-on-girl), so idk what I am at this point. Men are still pretty, but...yeah idk. It's really confusing.

I've known other people to shift to some degree from one sex to another, and heard reports of people flipping orientation completely. It's common enough that I was semi-prepared for it (but I also half-believed the meme that a lot of it was "internalized homophobia/repression" so I thought it wouldn't happen because I'd already completely accepted being a gay-leaning bisexual - WRONG).

>>8602819
Size is only one element of sexual differentiation, anon. It's true that it's reductive to say our brains are completely identical to that of the opposite sex - they're not. But they also aren't "normal." Anon above me covers it better than I could.
>>
>>8600587
>I don't know why I keep coming back daily. My bet would be it enables the most real dialogue I could have with people like me

Find some decent trans friends and just talk to them instead, maybe. Although that's definitely easier said than done.
>>
>>8602819
and HSTS have skills that are more like female ones
>>
>>8602131
Ironically CRISPR style gene therapies might actually be more useful in aiding transition in some way than in trying to change tranny neurological issues.

To be completely honest you'd probably get the most mileage in "curing" trannies by improving maternity healthcare to reduce the chance of them happening in the first place since it's likely epigenetic based on the neurological evidence and lack of genetic evidence.

Trannies indeed don't get the most focus in research but luckily they often benefit from advances directed at intersex and cis people and vice-versa. Fertility and reproduction, genital reconstruction and replacement, hormonal issues, cosmetic issues, it's not just trannies.
>>
Psychadelics actually can "activate" "latent" psychological issue in people predisposed to them like those with twins with the issue though the effects are usually temporary. On the other hand, they've also had success in using psychedelics to help treat mental health issues.

It's all very interesting stuff that needs a lot more medical focus to figure out how it works and can be safely used but unfortunately, the research is greatly hampered by anti drug politics and scheduling laws.
>>
>>8602816
>>8602831
I myself went from being pretty much asexual with maybe a slight bit of attraction to women to being exclusively and extremely attracted to men.
>>
>>8602819
Are seriously using what's basically fucking phrenology to try to invalidate neurology?
Please be baiting.
>>
>>8602831
So women really can change sexuality at the drop of a hat?
>>
>>8602858
And you are biologically a male?
>>
>>8602165
Why would a trans person ever choose to be a drag queen over transitioning? You're literally just giving yourself the potential negative outcome of transition (being a hon) without any of the benefits of it (improved mental health, boobs, no balding, etc).
>>
>>8602870
Yeah. The change in sexuality only took about 3-4 months of HRT, too.
>>
>>8601933
1.I'm not gay.
2.I wouldn't insist it's a lie. It sure would take me some time to decide to take it, since the idea of being comfortable with being a man terrifies me, but since transition turns out well for like a 1% I'd end up taking it.
>>
>>8602819
The size is irrelevant, so long as it's to scale.

What matters is the brain's structure.
>>
>>8602869
>drop of a hat
>powerful hormone therapy.

k. You wanted a (You), anon?

MtFs also experience these changes - this board has threads on this all the fucking time. Pay attention maybe.

>>8602845
> it's likely epigenetic based on the neurological evidence and lack of genetic evidence.
NR3C4 in MtFs, CYP17 in FtMs.

But yes, epigenetics probably play a significant role, given that concordance rates in identical twins is something like 30%.
>>
>>8602880
That's actually true with most things having to do with the brain like in different organisms too, size doesn't matter as much as structure
>>
>>8602889
>NR3C4 in MtFs, CYP17 in FtMs.
But is that in everyone that has been tested or is it more like that one associated with gays where it probably increases the likelihood of being gay if "switched on"?
>>
>>8602898
NR3C4 affects androgen receptors; MtFs are more likely to have a version that basically makes them less sensitive to testosterone (or at least, that's my understanding).

CYP17 affects pregnenolone and progesterone, and FtMs are more likely than cis women to carry a particular variant of it. Also, apparently FtMs have a male "allele distribution pattern" for that gene, although I don't know enough about genetics to know what that means.

So no, neither are something that every trans person has, neither is a "tranny gene."

Just notable and interesting genetic associations with the disorder.
Thread posts: 94
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.