[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

College Recommendations for Tranies?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 10

File: 1481852243622.jpg (240KB, 1024x724px) Image search: [Google]
1481852243622.jpg
240KB, 1024x724px
I'm 21 now, MTF, several months HRT, not passing yet but might by next year, pre-op, and I'm looking to try to get back into college now. Any ideas on good trans-friendly ones that are cheap? I live in Montana now, but want to leave, so something in a close state or offers a less than fully out of state price would be ideal.

A local trans support group or club, the ability to room with girls (cis or trans), and being able to be identified by my new name before legally changing it are all absolute musts.

Any ideas you might have are welcome, I'll look into it even if it seems to not be the best.
>>
>>8559245
http://www.bestcolleges.com/features/best-colleges-for-lgbt-students/
https://www.campuspride.org/resources/top-10-trans/
https://www.advocate.com/politics/transgender/2012/08/15/top-10-trans-friendly-colleges-and-universities?pg=full
>>
File: 89787.png (2MB, 2548x1430px) Image search: [Google]
89787.png
2MB, 2548x1430px
>>8559245
UMaine
>>
>>8560555
>tfw uni was in top 10
>tfw still hardly new trans was a thing and didn't do anything
I deserve hondom I'm so retarded
>>
File: ogata 00.jpg (46KB, 530x713px) Image search: [Google]
ogata 00.jpg
46KB, 530x713px
>>8559245
get a studio or one-bed apartment.

I also would recommend you make sure they can change your name on the roster to your preferred name.

Passing helps, but it's not essential in certain classes. In women's studies, it's absolutely essential; comp sci - not so much.
>>
File: ogata 05.jpg (43KB, 512x600px) Image search: [Google]
ogata 05.jpg
43KB, 512x600px
>>8559245
oh yeah, and if you have friends you really like living nearby, stay local. Otherwise, it's probably gonna be refreshing to move to a new city.
>>
>>8560563
end yourself cara
>>
>going to college just to get spoon-fed ideology and have everyone objectify you for your unique novel transness instead of treating you like normal
>>
>>8559245
A number of universities have recently expanded their health services to (partially) cover elements of transition (hrt, voice feminization, even srs) - this is something to keep in mind when selecting a university, particularly if finances are of concern...

“Many gender confirmation procedures and/or treatments are now covered under the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) negotiated by the University of Maryland Health Center.”
https://lgbt.umd.edu/trans-resources-policies
http://www.health.umd.edu/HormoneTherapy

“The University Health Center can initiate hormone therapy and provide medical management for patients on stable hormone regimens. This is a specialty service that is offered to undergraduate and graduate students.” - http://www.health.umd.edu/lgbthealth
>>
>>8560598
Living alone isn't really possible for me, I need someone there to keep me honest about going to class and keeping a good sleep schedule, even if they aren't actually telling me to just them being there means I have something stopping me from just sitting there on the computer.
Plus, a roomate is one more person I could be friends with without needing to try and meet someone.
>>
File: 45645.png (2MB, 1614x1412px) Image search: [Google]
45645.png
2MB, 1614x1412px
>>8560693
Unironically though, the UMaine administration is ultra-concentrated on trans student protection, mostly because of efforts and connections on the part of... someone.

There are a lot of trans people here, they're all just very puritanical and isolated so there's no "queer" culture and no notably non-passing trans women and trans men.
>>
>>8560732
careful of that one, she has a lot of guns, carries weapons, and is crypto autistic on staying safe.
>>
File: 09345.png (1MB, 1002x1258px) Image search: [Google]
09345.png
1MB, 1002x1258px
>>8560793
what else can you tell me?
>>
>>8560801
she got doxxed a long ways back on a different board so she sticks to other places. I just know she goes there and is a busy person in general. Im going to be pretty protective of her information though because i rather not put her in any risk.
>>
>>8560817
Oh. I was talking about someone else.
>>
File: e16.png (50KB, 680x453px) Image search: [Google]
e16.png
50KB, 680x453px
@8560801
>so starved for attention that you give an Anon who's better than you two (you)s

hopefully this means you're closer to killing yourself. I genuinely can't think of a worse avatarfag and you are the sole reason for this website to have mods aside from legal reasons
>>
>>8560819
who are you talking about?
>>
File: N9swB1r.jpg (47KB, 790x796px) Image search: [Google]
N9swB1r.jpg
47KB, 790x796px
>>8560823
>@
>>
>>8560732
>and no notably non-passing trans women and trans men.
Bad news for the AGPs!
>>
>>8560713
>The University Health Center can initiate hormone therapy and provide medical management for patients on stable hormone regimens

and we wonder why tuition has skyrocketed
>>
File: 1457040551531.png (27KB, 571x553px) Image search: [Google]
1457040551531.png
27KB, 571x553px
This is really relevant to my interests so question blast:

I did one year of community college before dropping out for alot of reasons. I'm 21 now and haven't been to school since 2013. I will probably get my associates at a commubity college while I'm still not very far into transitioning and then try to go full time to get my bachelors, masters etc.

Which schools should I absolutely avoid?

Is there a special procedure for being marked as female on the student roster?

I don't plan to dorm but in the worst case scenario where I have no choice what are some ways to avoid friction?

I plan to major in electrical engineering with a minor in mathematics. I know that those majors are mostly male but will I get alot of shit even if I pass?

What are some schools that are notably accepting or at least understanding that have a good ee program?

In the case that I can't go full time before starting uni, do you have any tips on keeping things under wraps? I'm only 4 months in rn and I feel like my chest is already too noticeable under fleece and a sweater.

I am super not into the whole "lgbt scene" so is it possible to have a school where you're seen as neither a freak of nature nor "so brave much ally wow"?

Does anyone else have any general experiences to share that might help me out here? I had a really bumpy few years from 17-20 and I'm trying to get my life back on track.
>>
Large urban universities are pretty much always a safe bet. I went to ASU, one of the worst large universities for LGBT people and I can only describe their stance officially as supportive while remaining institutionally apathetic. That being said, avoid anything with a title 9 exemption (jesus schools) and you're usually good.

Also if you want to stay stealth dudemode just get thicker shirts. Nobody notices my B-cups (w/bra) under an unbuttoned dude's large overshirt (I'm like, a medium athletic fit now).
>>
>>8563109
campusprideindex has a good list of schools that are awful, but a good rule of thumb is stay medium to large, and avoid anything with a title 9 exemption. They also list a ton of good schools, a lot of washington, oregon, and new york schools in particular are good.

Gender marker and preferred name stuff will depend on the school, do your homework before you go. If you can get your legal stuff changed first that would help but many places don't need it.

If you form look for somewhere that offers gender inclusive housing, or gives a roommate questionnaire that includes LGBT stuff, so you can make sure your roomie is cool with it.

You can avoid the LGBT scene pretty much anywhere if you want. Personally I'd at least keep my foot in the door in case you need help and a lot of people in them aren't too crazy into it, but if you want to just blend in with the normies you can.

I'd recommend full timing regardless of passing, most campuses are pretty trans friendly, and imo it's worse to try to come out and transition partway through than be a little visibly trans.
>>
File: 1479194865651.jpg (2MB, 2000x1414px) Image search: [Google]
1479194865651.jpg
2MB, 2000x1414px
>>8559245
OP here: not to be ungrateful for the help being given but I've already done a lot of research myself, I'm mostly looking for specific places I might not have seen yet. Feel free to say whatever so other people who haven't done as much as me can see, though.
>>
>>8563440
Cool. Thanks for the info. I'm really anxious and afraid of going full time but I'll just have to take any criticism.
>>
@8562762
>Makes a post about giving easy (you)s for attention
>don't give a (you)
>someone gives me a (you)
>(No replies)
>>
Literally any college in mass
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.