[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How many genders are there?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 6

File: gender.png (14KB, 670x251px) Image search: [Google]
gender.png
14KB, 670x251px
How many genders are there?
>>
>>8486708
Two.
>>
Two
>>
>>8486708
Two (2)
>>
>>8486708

Different cultures have had different answers for this
>>
>>8486708

As >>8487330 says. Genders are a social construct are imagined differently in different societies. Things like Kathoey, Fa'afafine and Eunuch are genders in some countries while other countries only have 2.
>>
>>8486708
Literally two.
Same thing with sex.

Anything in-between is due to some fucked up genetic defect, be it in the brain (being trans) or body (like having some extra chromosomes, lacking reproductive organs or having both but deformed, etc).
>>
>>8487364
>>8486729
>>8486742
>>8487291
>>8487364

Gender is a psychic matter rather than a phisiological one. It has nothing to do with your biology, the word you're thinking about is "sex"

>>8486708
Gender, outside of social and cultural influences, is essentially a spectrum. Many societies will choose over time a few models that will fit most of his male population (the woman's model usually came after this in the past, for its role was subordinate to the one of the man).
A trans asexual woman tends to be seen as an exception, but that exception is only circumstantial. Her sexual identity is as defined and specific as the identity of cis people, she just happens to live in s place where it's not accepted.

In times of personal freedom there will be countless genders, to try to say "there are only 4/7/800" is like truing to count every infinitesimal on a limitless line.
I never got why making up a gender bothers people so much, though.
>>
>>8487417
>psychic
>>
>>8487351
Despite what wikipedia tells you, if you actually go to other countries you will learn:

Things like kathoey are subcultures
Things like hijra are communities

Even in those countries there's only two genders, just some places are more lenient about letting people label themselves as 'other'.

Also Eunachs are never seen as a new gender. They are seen as castrated men, a type of feminine man. You wouldn't describe femboys as a third gender.
>>
>>8486708
Enough
>>
If you believe that gender arises from sex and you recognize that, due to intersexuality, sex is a spectrum then you recognize gender is a spectrum. Thus there are countless genders, with most people clumping around two points.

If you believe gender is not rooted in sex then, since it is constructed, there are as many genders as people have opted to construct in a given society.
>>
>>8487433
>You wouldn't describe femboys as a third gender
They take female hormones. Female hormones induce female secondary sex characteristics and feminize the brain. They're not biologically male.
>>
File: A8bVa3G.jpg (51KB, 399x600px) Image search: [Google]
A8bVa3G.jpg
51KB, 399x600px
>>8486708
I come from the future, where there are 5 widely recognized and acknowledged genders:

- Male
- Female
- Femboy
- Tomboy
- Queer (anything that's none of the above, including genderless)
>>
>>8488933

False, retards like you have no future so you could not have come from the future.

The correct answer is two.
>>
I haven't see any example of cultures with third gender that wasn't some kind of emasculated men.

If someone can show me that I'm wrong, go ahead.

No today western post-modernist doesn't count.
>>
>>8486708
ZWEI.
>>
>>8486708
I'd say about 16 or 17.
>>
>>8486708
2 biological, 0 that matter beyond oppressive social structures
>>
>>8486708
>>
Depends. Biologically speaking, there are only two. Maybe three if you count the neutral gray area of sexual disorders (hermaphrodites and such)
>>
Why do we care about quantifying the amount of genders
>>
>>8492603
>hermaphrodites

This thread is discussing gender, not sex. Also, the word you want to use at this point is intersex, not that one
>>
>>8494301
Random Norwegian butting in. In our language, we don't have a word for "gender", only "sex". It's the same in many other languages too. Gender has always just been another word for sex to me, but in recent years the word has just become this imaginary clusterfuck I can't understand. I find it much easier to relate to the words gender (as in sex) and gender-conformity/expression (as in how you present your self to the world based on general expectations of the sexes).
>>
>>8494463
English ftw!
>>
>>8486708
Two.
Everything else is mental illness.
>>
>>8494301
>le gender isn't the same thing as sex argument

Fuck off
>>
>>8495269

Not insightful
If the distinction between the two is beyond you, maybe you want to spend your time posting elsewhere, or at least lurking and learning something
>>
>>8488862
No sex means boy or girl no homosexual,bi sexual,hetrosexual.

The fact that there are only 3 sexualities(opposite sexually oriented,same sexually oriented,or both)
betrays the fact there are only two to choose from.
>>
>>8495548
>there are only 3 sexualities

4. asexuality: lack of sexual attraction
5. pansexuality: sexual attraction regardless of biological sex -- including intersex -- or gender identity
>>
File: 6694416.0.jpg (174KB, 800x767px) Image search: [Google]
6694416.0.jpg
174KB, 800x767px
>>8486708
hermaphrodites
XXY
androgyny
third sex
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_gender

People who push the idea that there are only two sexes are naive.
Life is not black and white. It is in colour.
>>
>>8495567
Asexuality is just a label for people with low sex drives. Asexual are the fucking worst trying to piggyback on people who actually get killed for loving the same sex
>>
two sexes, gender is meaningless
>>
There is but one gender... The HUMAN gender! <3
>>
>>8496049

Asexuality is the absence of sexual attraction, which is different from sex drive/libido.
Not too many asexuals out there claiming their lives have been in danger
>>
>>8486708
Assuming only the binary exists, and ignoring "gender shapes", these are the genders on the gender binary:
-male
-female
-agender
-bigender
-genderfluid
-non-binary
This is 6 genders.
We can also include different strengths and shapes that can be added to the genders.
For example, demi-gender.
There is also that big Tumblr list of genders that include many descriptions of different strengts and shapes of the genders, like having a liquid gender or an invisible gender or all the other specifications.
All these work within the binary.
However, if we go outside that, it gets way more complicated. To be honest, I don't really understand non-binary genders. But we could add another pole that it centers around. While the binary gender system only has two basic genders, and the other genders relate to them, if we add more poles, we get more basic genders, and I imaigne one could, for example, be a totally non-binary bigender person, where both your genders focus on other gender poles than male and female. But this is way too complicated for me to understand.
>>
>>8486708

Precisely 23423452025.234234
>>
File: image (3090).jpg (60KB, 640x426px) Image search: [Google]
image (3090).jpg
60KB, 640x426px
>>8495585
>>8488862
>sex is a spectrum

When will this Tumblr meme die?

>To say "humans have ten fingers" is incorrect. There are a number of mutations and conditions that cause a small number of people to have greater or fingers than ten total fingers. Therefore, the number of fingers humans have is on a spectrum.
>>
>>8486708
Two genders. I didn't make the effort to transition so I could be some alternative gender.
>>
>>8495548
>No sex means boy or girl no homosexual,bi sexual,hetrosexual.
What do sexual orientations have to do with intersex conditions?

>The fact that there are only 3 sexualities(opposite sexually oriented,same sexually oriented,or both)
betrays the fact there are only two to choose from.
But there aren't. That's an abstraction of reality.

>>8496784
Are people with more than ten fingers not human? Most humans have 10 fingers, but that does not mean that humans universally have 10 fingers.

>A spectrum
You have a discrete number of fingers. Brain sex is far more continuous, with numerous vectors and regions which can shift apart from one another.
>>
>>8496683
>gender shapes

kys
>>
>>8486708
It's one. Nerf or nothing
>>
>>8486708
Two genders and two sexes
>inb4 intersex
Secondary sex characteristics are the tie breaker
>>
>>8496683
>these are the genders on the gender binary:
>-non-binary
uhhhhh anon...
>>
File: 1488776466256.png (583KB, 875x661px) Image search: [Google]
1488776466256.png
583KB, 875x661px
>>8496683
>>
>>8495567
>asexual
>pansexual
tumblr please fuck off, you're not wanted here
>>
>>8500984

nah
>>
File: 1379420174758.jpg (56KB, 413x395px) Image search: [Google]
1379420174758.jpg
56KB, 413x395px
That's a difficult question, OP.

There are two common genders (male, female). However, defining those biologically is impossible. Some men are born without dicks. Some women are born with a XY chromosome. Transgender people have brains that correspond with their 'correct' gender. On a cellular level we all have a mixture of male and female cells. So while it can be argued that only two biological sexes exist, and intersex people are an anomaly, you could also easily argue that 'pure' gender is a myth, and we are all intersexed to some degree.

That doesn't mesh with our societal approach to gender, though.

Society is pretty clearly divided into 'males' and 'females'. Defining those is a lot easier (men don't cry and play sports, women are passive and nurturing). We have a pretty clear idea on what masculinity and femininity means. However, enforcing these ideas is restrictive. Some men want to be stay at home dads. Some women are emotionally clueless. We are all individuals, with our own likes, needs and preferences. Trying to push all of us into a mold is unrealistic and detrimental to our mental health, even without complex stuff like dysphoria or gender fluidity.

Personally, I divide 'gender' into biological traits, societal performance, and identity. I see gender as a social construct. And I don't particularly care how many 'genders' there are.

To me, it's just important that everyone is safe, and that people can safely express whoever they are.
>>
>>8501372
Lol, wanted to respond sarcastically but then went with kindness instead. But forgot to remove the image.

Apologies about the mixed signals, I guess.
>>
>>8495567
>asexuality
Literally means your sexuality doesnt exsist so this cant be a sexuality.
>pansexuality
Sexuality regardless of gender or biological sex(which is the same thing) so bisexual doesnt cover that???
A bi guy wouldnt care if he was fucking a dude who idetified as a girl because he would fuck the girl or dude anyway so that comes down to taste.I would call a guy who fucks trannys guys and girls bi.

>>8496870
Your whole reality is abstracted from something that is a freak occurance in nature that doesnt perpetuate itself except by abstraction dont try your big words on me.
>>
>>8486708
Male
Female
Tomgirl
>>
>>8502308

Asexuality is as I defined it (i.e., in terms of sexual attraction), and you're swimming against the tide in saying it's not a sexuality.
Pansexuality is broader than bisexuality since it specifically includes, e.g., intersex individuals
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.