[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gender, in modern terms, is a social construct describing the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

File: 1495866387365.jpg (272KB, 682x682px) Image search: [Google]
1495866387365.jpg
272KB, 682x682px
Gender, in modern terms, is a social construct describing the fact there are certain cultural expectations put on "males" and "females" so that they adhere to societal normals regarding actions, emotions and life choices.
Transgender people relate more to what is culturally expected of the opposite gender. Why is that an issue? Why do you have to go an unnecessary step further and start presenting yourself like the opposite sex, which is a completely different issue since sex and gender are two different things?

Why are you enabling culturally enforced gender roles? By thinking "I prefer the opposite gender's way of life, therefore I have to start appearing like the opposite sex" you're just contributing to the current oppressive gender norms and fixing nothing.
Isn't it much more progressive to say "fuck your gender norms, I'm an effeminate male/masculine female and I don't give a fuck what you think"?
>>
>>8374833
Gender is a prison, and trans people want to switch cells. Destroying the prison is a difficult problem (maybe even impossible) that would take more than a few generations. Not everyone is willing to be a part of that. Most just want to feel comfortable during their short time on Earth.
>>
Its not PC to say and some branches of Feminism HATE it but there are brain differences of men and women. Call it nature or nurture or whatever. End result is the same.
Many trans people feel dysphoria from having a womans brain and a mans body. It has been shown that trans people do have feminine brain structures even before hormones

Other trans people (who sometimes get called ""AGP"" here) don't necessarily suffer dysphoria but gender euphoria where they just want to have a womans body and be a woman.
There are tomboy trans too and feminine trans and inbetween.
>>
>>8374846
Are you therefore suggesting that identifying as transgender is just a placebo for people who lack the confidence to go against gender norms?
>>
Gender is a social construct. But so are traffic lights, and if you choose to ignore them on principle you're going to have a bad time.
Dysphoria is a condition that can be treated on a personal level. Doing away with gender stereotypes is a lofty goal since it means overhauling societal values.
>>
>>8374853
How many people who consider themselves trans get those brain scans before committing to the identity and getting put on hormones? Don't hormones just require a psych analysis which practically amounts to "do you feel like the other gender" "yes" "ok here's your hormones"?
>>
>>8374895

None, they already know how they feel without brain scans.

> Don't hormones just require a psych analysis
Idk I'm not trans. I think some require a really tough analysis where you have to be living full time as a woman BEFORE getting your hormones (some girl made a thread where it was so tough for her to do this she felt like a "linebacker in a dress") and some you just order off the internet for free.
>>
Gender is intrinsically linked to physical sexual characteristics
>>
>>8374855
No, I actually think it's a perfectly reasonable decision. The prison is what we get and it's not their job to break it down. People just want to live happily in peace and there's no shame in seeking that.
>>
>>8374920
Experiencing feelings and drawing conclusions are two completely different things.
>>
>>8374967

K who cares.
>>
>>8374993
Why reply if you have no response?
>>
>>8374833
You have an incredibly simple and unresearched view of what transgender is.
>>8374999
Because it doesn't matter? If a person has gender dysphoria, they transition which eases the dysphoria, making their life better. It doesn't matter why the dysphoria is. If a man starts shooting at you you don't stand there getting shot to death while trying to figure out why exactly he's shooting you, you get out of the way.
>>
>>8374999

I did respond that was my response. Like who cares and what does """"Experiencing feelings and drawing conclusions are two completely different things."""" even mean?

Let scientists study trans people and scan their brains and whatever. Trans people just want to BEE themselves and live their lives not hurting anyone.
>>
>>8374878
Did you just assume my transportation method you shitlord!?
>>
>>8375121
How do they know they have dysphoria? Self diagnosis is ignorance

>>8375123
It means that these people do not have the grounds or knowledge to be self diagnosing complex mental issues based on a couple of emotions they recognize they feel.
>>
>>8375160

>It means that these people do not have the grounds or knowledge to be self diagnosing complex mental issues based on a couple of emotions they recognize they feel.

Durr durr durr. So what? Everyone makes do with what they have. Welcome to the real world.
>>
>>8375160
How does someone know they're on fire?
>>
>>8375186

Uhhhh sorry you need a degree in chemistry in order to dignose such a complex chemical process.
>>
>>8375186
>comparing something outwardly observable to something that is literally an interpretation of feelings in your mind
Are you even trying?
>>
>>8375202
To be fair, even if you think you're on fire you really can't be sure because you might just be perceiving yourself to be that way. One should always see a medical professional before jumping to conclusions on such complex matters.
>>
>>8375202

Different anon but some people experience horrible dysphoria and need to take hormones and live as another gender in order to survive. They take various paths to get there depending on the resources available to them. How the hell does this effect you or me? Even assuming some poor gender confused cis person accidentally takes hormones they can go back off the hormones. If they can create a happy or passable existence for themselves, then why do they need to prove anything to weirdos like you?

Whooo cares? Why do you care? I am saying this as a cis person who is extremely Catholic (like maybe so Catholic I shouldn't be spending so much time on 4chan or /lgbt/). Why do you care.
>>
>>8375212
>in order to survive
By which you mean they are under such emotional distress they want to commit suicide
aka you're literally describing a mental disorder. Changing your mindset to think "I'm a woman now and I don't want to kill myself anymore because now I think I'm a woman" is a literal placebo. It's nonsense.

>why do you care?
I'm allowed to have an opinion. The whole purpose of this thread is to challenge my opinion against people who disagree, to see if there's anything I'm missing that could change my mind. So far, the arguments against what I'm saying are all "it doesn't matter" - which is not an argument against what I'm saying, rather it's conceding defeat that you have no counterargument.
Why does my opinion-having bother you? Because I'm challenging your worldview?
>>
>>8375236
>By which you mean they are under such emotional distress they want to commit suicide
Sometimes. Not all distress leads to suicide tho.
>aka you're literally describing a mental disorder.
Dysphoria usually is considered disordered. Also trans people always think they are women, they are miserable being in male bodies and treated as men etc.
>I'm allowed to have an opinion.
ok and nobody cares about your opinion.
>Why does my opinion-having bother you? Because I'm challenging your worldview?
No because your statements are so asinine and meaningless like """"""how can you tell you are experiencing something sooo complex you dont have the credentials""""""""""""""""

I dont want to argue with someone with such shitty and boring arguments.
>>
>>8375241
>ok and nobody cares about your opinion.
yet you care enough to respond

>how can you tell you are experiencing something sooo complex you dont have the credentials
Do you know so little about psychology that you actually trust your own ability to make rational decisions about emotional topics? Do you not know the first thing about cognitive biases?
>>
>>8375236
>is a literal placebo. It's nonsense

Experts in this field would actually disagree, but it's nice that you personally feel that way.
>>8375252
Seems neither of us know much about psychology. Maybe we should just trust the professionals, who happen to be of the opinion that transitioning is effective treatment and that displaying feelings of gender dysphoria is the only requirement of having gender dysphoria.
>>
>>8375272
>Maybe we should just trust the professionals, who happen to be of the opinion that transitioning is effective treatment and that displaying feelings of gender dysphoria is the only requirement of having gender dysphoria.
Refer me to these professionals
>>
>>8375212
No one should spend time on 4chan regardless of which mythical cock they suck
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.