[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

PRIDE

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 9

Out of curiosity, how many of you actually publicly identify with the LGBT community and enjoy PRIDE (parades, events, etc.). I hear that it's PRIDE month and it got me to thinking that, while I don't care about others' sexuality and what they do with their lives, it really bothers me that people literally parade their sexuality as something anyone else should give a shit about and if I identified with the LGBT community or were actively involved in fighting for gay rights or whatever, then I would be embarassed to be part of such a thing.

So what is your opinion on PRIDE and people brazenly showing off their sexuality?

[spoiler]Additional information that is most likely unimportant: I don't like straight people obsessing over their sexuality either and bragging about how often they have sex or their hookups.[/spoiler]
>>
>>8372722
I'm not proud of being trans and I have pretty bad anxiety, so I don't really take part in anything to do with the lgbt community. I'm glad some people enjoy their sexuality though good for them.
>>
>>8372729
>I'm glad some people enjoy their sexuality though good for them
Yea that's fine, I'm just talking about public events
>>
>making a "lifestyle" out of your sexuality

this is why a lot of gays has "internalized homophobia" (hate this shit word), you're gay, cool, no need to fucking go out with dildos on your hands choking on them to show how gay you are
>>
>>8372764
>>making a "lifestyle" out of your sexuality
This is exactly what I'm talking about. Fuck that. I agree completely.
>>
It's called 'Pride' in the sense that you should have no shame in who you are, not the 'I'm a better person because of this' meaning of the word. So it's kind of the opposite of the way you're seeing it.
>>
>>8372722
> Enjoy pride stuff
Don't know. Attending my first one this year, in London.
I don't normally like loud public events, though. For all their 'accessibility' crap, I get the feeling it'll be too goddamn noisy and forceful. But I'm going to I can have a reason to dislike them.

> Publicly identify with
No. My sexuality is not a major part of my identity. It gets squeezed out to the side in favour of my hobbies and my love for heavy metal.
>>
>>8372909
That makes sense. I guess I'm just complaining about the worst of it, then.

>>8372928
Nice to hear you actually have a personality
>>
>>8372722
I think that those who tolerate impudicity make themselves objective enemies of the community.
>>
>>8372973
Obviously it's not everybody's way of expressing themselves, and if it was a regular thing then I'd understand people's discomfort more. But to me it's just one day of the year to let loose then go back to normal. I have noticed though that there's a sense of oneupmanship at events now, like how can we be bigger and badder than last year.

Of the events I've actually been to, it's nicer to be in the general vicinity of the event than the parade itself. Really laid back atmosphere.

>>8372928
If you don't like loud public events I wouldn't advise London Pride, waaaay too crowded and the heat makes it unbearable. Also drinks anywhere in the vicinity will double in price for the day.
>>
>>8372722
My pride festival happens all the way in October but it's always fun. Seeing stores put out their rainbow flags and gay men and women walking in the streets holding hands, it feels like if just for a weekend that the world isn't completely dominated by straight people and you're not a minority.

A lot of people who shit on pride have most likely never been to one since it's really just a weekend long party. If you don't like festivals/are looking to have a bad time, you probably won't enjoy yourself, but if you just stop giving a shit and let yourself be super fucking gay for just a weekend you might accidentally have fun.
>>
>>8373178
Funny, you sound like the exact type of person I'm complaining about
>>
>>8373243
I'm just trying to explain the appeal of pride, which is what this thread is about

I got over the fear of being a stereotype and my sexuality consuming my identity, since at the end of the day I'll always be my own person and sexuality is just a part of that, as it is for everyone else. I like bara dudes, but I also like video games, programming, hate pop music and musicals, whatever.

You can go to pride and not be self-conscious about it. It doesn't matter to me either way if that doesn't interest you
>>
>>8372722
damned if you do damned if you don't
i've never been to a pride parade and don't particularly care for how corporatized they seem to be getting but i know that they're important for other people.
either way you're still going to be lambasted for 'shoving your sexuality in someone's face' because being gay you're guilty by association
>>
>>8372722
Don't really identify with the community. I'm Bi, and that's it. Just seems that people have politicized sexuality far too much, both politicians and LGBT people.

Like what's already been said, revolving your lifestyle around your sexuality seems silly. The average person doesn't do that, and when your part of the minority it doesn't help to make everything about what sets you apart from most people all your life is about. Adds a level of abdominality to the thing your emphasizing, and needlessly so.

I can understand an LGBT get together or something similar, but once people start breaking out the kink gear and blatant sexaul instruments, that's a bit much. I attended a party for LGBT folk and it was nice. Eeryone was fully dressed, talking, laughing, and just having fun without strapping dildos to their foreheads and all that ridiculous crap. Makes me wonder why the parades can't be the same way.
>>
>>8373390
It sounds like you're confusing the folsom street fair with pride
>>
>>8372722
i have pride in my identity and enjoy going to drag shows and lgbt bars but

i have no interest in pride events because of how gay white male centric it is. i dont care about their sexuality, i dont think it is meaningful as part of a "lifestyle" a real gay pride event should have floats with rooms decorated really well, or a scene from tennessee williams, or harvey milk getting shot by twinkie defense man

the events can be fun, i just think its become a thing to annoy normie heteros wew every antagonistic thing seems so realistically tied to the struggle but lol pride seems like a petty slap in whiteys face by whitey

do gay men have a thing about pissing off their fathers and just see "america" as their judgmental dads

its really... gay
>>
File: 1437348829498.jpg (172KB, 800x803px) Image search: [Google]
1437348829498.jpg
172KB, 800x803px
>>8372722
im gay and im confused
why are people proud of the fact that they like dick up their ass and/or to munch carpet
>>
>>8373418
Just about every North American 'pride parade' I've ever seen looks exactly the same, men and women barely dressed, grinding up on each other and or dancing around like fairies. People selling dick shaped lollipops and other stuff like that. The only decent pride parade I've ever seen was in Tokyo, Japan. The most eccentric thing in their parade was the trans women dressed as geishas, and even they were well behaved. Just waving and giggling when people would give them flowers.
>>
>>8373431
Consider how many songs straight people have made about boning

Everybody is obsessed with sex. Straight people get away with broadcasting it because it's seen as normal
>>
>>8372722
>it really bothers me that people literally parade their sexuality as something anyone else should give a shit about

>I am a fascist

>>8372764
Exactly.

>>8372783

So do I, bruh.

So in the name of not making your sexuality a flagrant, obnoxious lifestyle parade, let's openly resist Mardi Gras and wet t-shirt competitions while we're at it! Yay!
>>
>>8373466
At my pride parade the lewdest I saw in the parade was dudes in speedos. But they were mixed with lesbian bikers, Jewish LGBT, local college GSA clubs, LGBT police officers, LGBT veterans, LGBT-friendly churches, etc. The entire affair is fairly family-friendly in my city, and it's a pretty big city.

Dick shaped lollipops sound funny though
>>
>>8373482
Now that sounds like some fun. But yes, there was a stall selling dick shaped lollipops, I just had to shake my head.
>>
>>8373342
I appreciate your contribution to the thread. From the way you describe it--correct me if I'm wrong--it's that PRIDE is a period in which you decide to act as stereotypical as possible for fun (?) but do not proceed to push those stereotypical behaviors into everyday life
>>
>>8373520
I mean, pride can be a shitshow sometimes but it's my attitude to just shrug it off. I don't see other gay men's behavior as macroscopically reflective of my own character. I'm not saying dudes don't slut it up during pride, but you don't have to be a slut to enjoy it.

Like I'd just laugh off the dick shaped lollipop as something ridiculous our community does
>>
>>8373420
>pride seems like a petty slap in whiteys face by whitey
This is a large part of why I made the thread, this is how I perceive PRIDE rather than it being purely supportive of LGBT people
>>
/lgbt/ should throw its own pride parade.
>>
>>8373478
>>I am a fascist

Ok. Do you have anything to contribute to the thread, or did you only feel the need to make sarcastic remarks? I don't see wet t-shirt month.
>>
>>8373482
OP here, that doesn't sound bad at all.
>>
>>8373521
I mean, don't do anything you don't want to do, but it might be good practice to try to loosen up and not worry so much while you're there (also go with good, eager friends). For instance, I'm normally a quiet and reserved person irl, but during the parade, I compete with my friend to see who can get the most/best free shit they hand out from the floats. So I get into the spirit, shouting "YAAAAS" and hi-fiving because hell, everyone else is too and they're having a good time.

Your sexuality isn't some encroaching malevolent force that will consume your every thought if you don't keep it at bay. But it is a part of you, and the general message of pride is embracing what that means to you, personally. In the four years I've been going to pride, I've only ever hooked up with one guy I met at pride, and even then we just made out and cuddled.

Since going to pride, I cared far less about what my behavior is stereotypically gay or not. I don't see other gay men's behavior as reflective of me, nor my behavior on them. Pride isn't about being stereotypical or avoiding being stereotypical. It's about being yourself, and if yourself likes to be super private about their sexuality, go in a sweater and jeans
>>
>>8373557
I've only ever been to my city's pride, so I don't know if it's the same in every other city, but it's been mostly a positive experience. It's an entire weekend affair, with Friday and Saturday involving going out to super-crowded bars/clubs, Saturday during the day walking through the park where gay groups have set up tents selling stuff or advertising their organization (gay sports leagues, wilderness clubs, lawyer groups, you name it) and there's a small concert with a semi-famous artist, and Sunday is the day of the parade. There's a lot of drinking the entire weekend which is rough on the body so by Monday I'm exhausted and suffering the cumulative hangover

What I like most is that everyone is so happy and friendly. You walk by everyone giving each other a "Happy Pride!"
>>
>>8373600
You sound like an alright person. Thank you for the response. I'm not going to attend PRIDE anytime soon (I'll avoid saying "ever), but your comment makes me a little less disappointed in it.

>>8373621
I've never been one for festivals or crowded places, but it doesn't sound like a terrible experience.
>>
>>8372722
I think it was important in the 20th century maybe, to make the community's voice heard. Nowadays? I don't understand how someone could go to a festival or whatever else that focuses on who you want to have sex with. It just seems autistic.
>>
>>8373723
Pride is what you make of it. My recommendation is to go with a solid group of gay friends looking to have fun to get the most out of it
>>
>>8373773
I don't have gay friends. Well, that's a lie--I have one definite lesbian friend, and MAYBE some bisexual friends but I don't ask people what their sexuality is. And all the other gay people I currently know are people I don't like or want to interact with. So even if I did want to go, I would barely have a group to go with and it would be amazing if the group didn't annoy me.

>>8373744
>I don't understand how someone could go to a festival or whatever else that focuses on who you want to have sex with.
Point of the thread, anon
>>
>>8373773
Actually, why did you specify gay friends? Assuming they're immersed in gay culture or something?
>>
>>8374216
I mean pride with straight friends is fine but it's kinda like... not... for them...

Up to you though
>>
>>8374781
>it's kinda like... not... for them...
I get that, but still. I never stated my sexuality in the OP or anything
>>
>>8374781
You know, this comment actually really bothers me now. It comes off as you telling me that straight people are basically "tolerated" at this event, and a straight person or group should have some gay companion so they can be truly welcome. Can I not just go because I'm curious and might like it? You say it's fine but at the same time convey that I should basically be a +1 for a group of gay people to have fun so I can observe the gayness and learn how to mimic their behavior instead of just going there on my own or with other people. Do gays intrinsically have some homoculture engrained in them that would cause them to know exactly how to act in a PRIDE environment? Do gays have a secret message to get in? Am I going to be looked at weirdly because I don't have my gay buddy to make sure everybody else attending is okay with my presence?
>>
>>8375189
I never said straights couldn't come, they're more than welcome, but I hope you can understand why LGBT Pride shops and tents and events would most likely cater to an LGBT crowd more than heterosexual people

Plus if you're LGBT they teach you a super secret handshake that you're not allowed to show straight people
>>
>>8375224
>I hope you can understand why LGBT Pride shops and tents and events would most likely cater to an LGBT crowd more than heterosexual people
Your comment makes perfect sense, it just rubbed me the wrong way. Made me get a bit spergy

>Plus if you're LGBT they teach you a super secret handshake that you're not allowed to show straight people
I knew it :^)
>>
File: hUcGacb.jpg (89KB, 700x564px) Image search: [Google]
hUcGacb.jpg
89KB, 700x564px
>>8372722
We're all agoraphobic shut-ins.
We are obviously not interested in parading down the street drawing attention to ourselves.
But I'm glad that extroverts did it so that sucking cock is no longer illegal.
At least now I can go to a gay bar without the police raiding the place and putting everyone in jail.
Probably don't need to keep having gay pride parades except in countries where it is still illegal.
In the West they are probably no longer necessary, although I hear they can be a good place to meet people.
And I guess it gives your grandmother something to do on the weekend instead of sit indoors and watch Fox news.
>>
File: gaylord.jpg (87KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
gaylord.jpg
87KB, 400x400px
The only issue i have with the community is it using the acronym LGBT i just prefer F for faggots,
Its a free country and if i want walk around naked in a parade i will its not my fault right wingers are offended that some parents take young children to these events and witness the sweaty mass gyrate and dance themselves down the street i grew up in a gay community and it had no effect on me besides i had already made up my mind when i was 7 that i was gay and now i am an adult i see nothing wrong with basing your identity on what you want to shove in your arse if you got a problem with that your a bigot and probably a Muslim if only they would assimilate better and stop trying to blow us up,
Its not as though we are making ordinary people angry with our actions its these Muslims but not all Muslims just the ones radicalized by these fucking trump supporters im literally shaking just thinking about it, cant we all just get along?.
>>
File: IMG_9848.jpg (21KB, 300x384px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9848.jpg
21KB, 300x384px
>>8372722
>It's an anon circlejerks about edge cases episode
Hello and uh, welcome to reddit
>>
>>8375358
Thanks, I knew /lgbt/ was reddit
>>
>>8372722
Pride is fun. They throw out free shit.
>>
>>8373114
>drinks anywhere in the vicinity will double in price for the day.
Yeah, that's easily avoided. Stock up beforehand, and I know some pretty out of the way places to hang out.
>>
>>8376197
This free stuff has come up a couple times now, so what do they have? Is it worth it for the free shit
>>
Also, what does "gay culture" consist of? I hear this term a lot but what is it referring to?
>>
And I wish I asked in the OP, but do you like the flags? Do you like having flags representative of your sexuality?
>>
>>8376214
It's mostly typical shit they hand out at events. Sunglasses, coolies, tote bags, candy, sometimes soda (Coca Cola marches in our parade), condoms, bead necklaces, shirts (V high value item) and those rubber live strong wristbands except they're rainbow. I got so many last year that I covered my entire arm in them. Also at the tents they normally have free HIV testing, which is important to know, but you probably wouldn't really want to find out at pride.

>>8375242
All good anon. I hope you give pride a chance someday. It's always been fun in my experience.

>>8376398
We're a big tent, but that doesn't mean we don't have our history and culture. Drag queens, shade, voguing, Stonewall riots, even if you don't have a lot of attachment to this personally, LGBT history and culture is still fairly interesting. LGBT culture is unique in that there isn't one nation of LGBT people, but LGBT people are everywhere all over the world and share a kinship in being a minority, and there are unique and similar ways people cope with being that minority. Wherever you go, you have family. If you want to really understand more, I'd recommend watching the documentary Paris is Burning, which explains the origins of drag in the gay community, and for a global perspective, if you can find a way to watch Ellen Page's Gaycation, that's really good as well.
>>
>>8376434
Rainbow flag is great and I'm glad that the gay community has so powerfully taken hold of it since human beings are drawn to like its colors. It's interesting and positive

Can't say much about trans or bi flags since I don't identify with them
>>
>>8372722
I really like the idea of the lgbt community and pride events but I often see both of these being raided by SJW rainbow colored non-binary demisexual snowflakes, maybe I just wish there was an alternative community of queer people who are not autistic seeing as a lot of lgbt people support BLM, Antifa, Islam, etc.
>>
File: Berkeley Trump riots Antifa.jpg (97KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
Berkeley Trump riots Antifa.jpg
97KB, 1200x675px
>>8373478
>I am a fascist
Good. After our recent election that word has been over used so much that it carries no weight anymore.
>>
File: 1496041759903.jpg (116KB, 587x645px) Image search: [Google]
1496041759903.jpg
116KB, 587x645px
>>8372764
this pretty much sums up one of my co workers. litterally slips him being gay into every conversation
>>
>>8376476
The rainbow flag is fine, I just think the other ones are a bit extra
>>
>>8376684
They're different identities so I don't mind them having them. The more specific you get with a subcommunity, the more obscure the flag becomes, so I don't see the harm in people having flags they themselves recognize but others don't
>>
>>8376467
DESU I'm not the biggest fan of history and only care to intake even the most interesting parts in small doses, so I'll tell you that my looking into gay history is a solid maybe. Thanks for the comment though, it helps a lot and clears up a lot of things I was thinking about the LGBT community as a whole. As the reddit-anon said, I'm just complaining about the worst.

I might go, I probably won't enjoy it as is the case with all parades and crowded events, but just to see
>>
>>8372722
Personally not a fan, although I can see how they can be fun. And it's also pretty fun to see homophobes going berzerk because of it.
>>
File: IMG_3917.jpg (39KB, 492x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3917.jpg
39KB, 492x600px
its a fun event me and my bf can go to and have fun, im not talking about the weird american pride with dudes in thongs though
>>
>>8376719
The gay community is diverse, messy, hilarious, ridiculous and fascinating.
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.