[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

DIAGNOSED mental illness

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 1

ITT: discuss the challenges of being mentally ill while simultaneously lgbt.

Do you think your sexual orientation/identity is the cause of your mental illness /lgbt/?

State:
orientation,
gender,
age (optional)
and your diagnosis.
I'll start, gay/queer, male/queer, 22, clinical depression and anxiety disorder
>>
>>8372395
It's a disability, not a mental illness.
Bi
Male
Aspergers/dyspraxia

Any sociopathy is completely undiagnosed, because I know better than to let the establishment know about that.
>>
>>8372395
>Do you think your sexual orientation/identity is the cause of your mental illness /lgbt/?
No, quite the opposite.
>>
>>8372395
>bi
>female
> 28
>GAD, Asbergers
Iunno, Asbergers may have had a hand in it, but i think im just normal amounts of bi for a woman. I think if anything Aspergers may have prevented me from forming disgust at gayness. But i also had a mom who told me "dating" doesnt care about gender and i didnt know that sex was involved in dating until really late. Also i started having sex dreams/fantasies with girls when i first started masturbating, which was early childhood. When i learned that sex was men putting their peepee into woman-hole i switched to fantasizing about sex with men. Ive also always been rather tomboyish. It's probably a combination of all these things.

I think Aspergers was related more to my eventual and increasing gender discomfort than my sexuality. I think i may have had undiagnosed OCD as a teen and if so, thats a wicked combination. Soo much body checking and obsessing. Glad that shit is over.
>>
>>8372539
>Asbergers may have had a hand in it,
How so?

>I think if anything Aspergers may have prevented me from forming disgust at gayness.
Why?
>>
>>8372395

>that picture

That pisses me off.

Orientation: Bisexual
Diagnosed: Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Gender Identity Disorder, and PTSD.

>Do you think your sexual orientation/identity is the cause of your mental illness /lgbt/?

>GAD

It's hard to say with this one. I think I was probably predisposed to being anxious regardless of orientation or gender identity. But the fact that I'm trans, bisexual, and had unaccepting parents who gave me a Catholic upbringing probably made things a lot worse. I feel the anxiety and the dysphoria really worked together synergistically to make my life terrible.

>GID

Well yes, clearly.

>PTSD

No for the first event. Maybe in a roundabout way, like, "If I had transitioned earlier maybe I would live in a different neighborhood or I wouldn't have gone down that street." For the second event I think it 100% would not have happened if I had transitioned earlier or not been trans.
>>
>>8372572
>How so?
by preventing disgust and not understanding during important developmental stages that girls are supposed to hang out with girls and adore guys from afar and have crushes on boys. then again, i did have one male crush in 1st grade for a short while

when you have asbergers normal social behavior seems foreign and stupid. you dont just do things because everyone is doing it. or at least thats my experience. asbergers also tend to have problems with social nuance. while everyone else was learning that gayness is gross i was oblivious. everyone felt alien and weird, so there was no reason for me to see one gender as off limits.
>>
Transbian
MtF
ASPD, BPD

I mean it can't help it. Im a literal meme of mental illness at one point.
>>
>>8372395
Female, lesbian , depression, anxiety, ADD.
I've always thought that whatever goes on in the brain to make someone gay makes them more susceptible to mental illnesses as well.
>>
>>8372752
Don't you think that the fact that the lgbt community has been excluded for the entirety of the human history and still is not yet accepted on all levels anywhere on the planet has something to do with it?

I mean, if we were naturally predisposed to mental illness due to our orientations that would give a lot of momentum to all the haters out there and further "legitimize" their agenda.

In any case, I think that I need to believe that it's society's fault in order to maintain some sort of sanity. Is that delusional?
>>
i read recently that gender dysphoria is very rarely comorbid with other diseases, yet it seems like every dysphoric person i know has another disease, whether it be anxiety, ocd, bpd, ptsd, or something else. do you think the study was flawed? or do you think such trannies are the only ones that hang out online? does mental illness just increase the propensity for being a shut in who only socializes on forums?
>>
>>8372661
A neat perk then! Would you like to chat by throw away email?
>>
>>8372782
sure. what do you use? ive got telegram, discord, curse... i could even use gchat haha
>>
>>8372790
Gchat is the best for me. Although I just discovered it's going to be discontinued on June 26th...
>>
gay
male (trans)
GAD, ADD, depression but definitely more ruled by anxiety

Long story but recently my mother was unethically baker acted and sent to a terrible facility (huge litigation going on now between our family and our two insurance companies against the facility. long story but basically hinges on them saying she was a druggy when she had the prescription bottles from her doctors literally in her purse with her) and while I basically went into 'be strong for mother' mode now that things have calmed down it's really fucking terrifying just how easily you can be institutionalized, how bad CIS people are treated in many facilities (cant even imagine how bad it is for trans people), and how absolutely powerless you and your family can be to stop it.

Like as a trans person with a history of mental illness? I feel like all it would ever take is like ONE doctor to dislike me- Fuck, even just a jilted lover or friend to lie and I'd never get out.

Seeing a counselor soon about it and stuff but was pretty destructive to me as a person. I generally don't speak about mental illness if people know I'm trans because people auto assume me being trans is rooted in mental illness.

what yall taken
I'm on 70mg vyvanse & 60mg cymbalta, 300mg gabapentin helps a lot I think, currently on 0.5 mg xanax to get through this trauma but planning on not taking it long-term. Took one last night and I'm fucking exhausted already about to head to bed today.
>>
>>8372805
oh and also missed op question yeah I'd say its a big part of it or at least the degree of it, but I also have hereditary risk factors so who the fuck knows.
>>
>>8372802
aight. message me when you get it
https://pastebin.com/yJ3FwmBN
>>
>>8372395
>bi
>female(trans)
>23
>BPD, Anxiety, Depression
>>
>>8372827
Got it, but I won't be able to message straight away.
>>
>>8372805
i took amphetamines a few times in college (prescription) but stimulants make me really tired and it was always mid semester when i was already fucked. so instead of helping it just made me more anxious about being so underwater and less productive

i have a bottle of xanax 0.5mg that ive been nursing. i take it every once in a while to rememebr what its like to be completely relaxed. i have only a few left and no doctors so i get my boyfriend to help me calm down when im having a panic attack. no idea what im going to do if i ever get employed again, hope i get insurance before i freak at work?

curious about SSRIs and Strattera but im not getting a doctor for 500 years so we'll see

>>8372840
np
>>
>>8372395
>mtf
>21
>schizophrenia
tired of going psychotic and acting like a total loon around people so I just hang alone which gives me a lot of thinking time which probably isn't good for my head
>>
>>8372775
I think its connected to orientation because even gays with supportive friends and family seem to usually have issues. Some vague threat of discrimination doesn't seem significant enough to cause mental issues on the scale they appear with lgbt'.s. The exception to this would be living somewhere like Chechnya or the middle east where genuine state supported torture and murder of gays occur. But most gays in the west don't live under that type of environment.
As for giving haters momentum, fuck them. They're gonna believe what they want regardless.
>>
>>8372979
i heard somewhere that homosexual men have higher rates of childhood sexual abuse. population rates are like 5% and for homo males its like 10-40%. I used to be continually surprised how many gay people i know would come out saying they were molested by an older man, not so much anymore.
>>
>>8372997
I heard that too. Like 40% for gay men and 22% for lesbians. I could definantly see it influencing someone who already had the right genetic makeup and environmental factors to lean in that direction to begin with.
>>
>bi
>mtf
>18
>adhd, probably something else
>>
>>8372776

>i read recently that gender dysphoria is very rarely comorbid with other diseases

That's odd that you've heard that if by diseases you mean mental illnesses. From what I've heard generalized anxiety disorder, and depersonalization or maybe derealization were common in trans people transitioning after puberty.

>>8372805

>what yall taken

I'm >>8372658 and I'm not taking anything. I figure since my life is just shit besides being a late transitioner drugs aren't going to help a damn thing. Drugs are for people who already have friends, a lover, a job, and the rest but still feel like shit.
>>
>>8374246
>I'm >>8372658 and I'm not taking anything. I figure since my life is just shit besides being a late transitioner drugs aren't going to help a damn thing. Drugs are for people who already have friends, a lover, a job, and the rest but still feel like shit.
uhh, lol as long as you have a mental illness treatable by drugs and you have the right drug, it makes a difference. even if youre clinically depressed due to circumstance, like your husband dying or something, drugs help. as long as everything that could be treated is drugs dont care about your situation. many people start drugs and then stop when their lives get better. many people cant even get traction on making their lives better until theyre medicated.

you dont have to be special to deserve meds for a mental illness. you deserve it just by having the problems in the first place. no one deserves mental illness.
>>
lesbian
f
bipolar/anxiety
>>
>>8372395
Can't get diagnosed with anything if you never go to the doctor
>>
G>>8372901
I could do a schizo as long as they don't get mad that I don't believe their delusions, is this possible? Or would I just become one of "them" if I didn't pretend to agree with everything?

Also occasional Harley Quinn displays would be mandatory.
>>
>>8373407
One possible side effect of childhood sexual abuse is hypersexuality and sense its typically easier to find dudes to fuck it makes sense to that men who would otherwise be 100% straight would be raging homos (at least during their hypersexual phases)
>>
>>8374893
Cosplays*
>>
>>8374905
i also heard a gay who came out as bisexual say that he stuck to not just men but a certain kind of man and a certain kind of sex because it was all he knew and it was like all he felt like he was allowed to have, he had never really questioned his preferences because he was sexualized at such an early age (and didnt hate it when it happened)
>>
>>8372395

Bipolar, anxiety, depression, OCD, ADD.
All professionally diagnosed except the OCD, which I'm hoping to get meds for soon because it's awful.
All of these from my mom. Thanks, mom!

Orientation doesn't even matter at this point because I'm a hikikomori and I'm going to be a KV until I die.
>>
>>8372979
>Some vague threat of discrimination doesn't seem significant enough to cause mental issues on the scale they appear with lgbt'.s.

>most gays in the west don't live under that type of environment.

It wasn't a vague thread for most gays living today during the majority of their lifetime. I'm 26 living in the midwest and I didn't feel like being gay was considered normal until maybe the past 2-3 years. Having 3yrs of acceptance won't negate insecurities or mental problems that grow from feeling stigmatized and ashamed your whole childhood/adolescence.

Also, it isn't just LGBTs. You see higher rates of mental problems/drug and alcohol use in other stigmatized groups like black people.
>>
>>8373407

Huh, I read a CDC study that reported lesbians have an overall ~15% rate of sexual abuse over their lifetime, which was slightly less than straight women.

Bi women were way higher for some reason.

40% for gay men seems way too high. That's more than one in three.
>>
>>8375254
we're talking about chilhood sexual abuse. its possible "molestation" is a different category of study. who knows, studies often disagree a lot on rates. i do have a few refs tho

http://www.fathersforlife.org/dale/sexabuse.html

see paragraph II>>8375249

>Also, it isn't just LGBTs. You see higher rates of mental problems/drug and alcohol use in other stigmatized groups like black people.
thats probably true. however,
>It wasn't a vague thread for most gays living today during the majority of their lifetime.
this isnt true just because you feel like it, or because you experienced homophobia or ostracization growing up. i grew up in the midwest as well (Indiana) and never felt like i couldnt be gay, or experienced any mental problems cause of homophobia. that was the LEASTt of my problems. hell school work was more of a stressor than any of that stuff. im sure social situations does account for SOME gay people in the us's mental problems but i agree with the other poster, im not sure it matches up with the scale, especially since so many people in my shoes that i know have mental problems from seemingly nowhere. im not even convinced gayness isnt caused by some other mental condition or trauma.
>>
>>8375297
dang, forgot a line break before the second post reference. thats supposed to be just above my last paragraph, not in reference to the study
>>
>>8372395
>diagnosed
Why would I trust the medical jew?

t. schizoid personality disorder
>>
>State:
Colorado
>Orientation:
Gay male
>Gender:
I'm a dude, was born a dude and will die a dude
>Age:
>Diagnosis:
Major Depression.

I don't think my sexuality has influenced my mental health. I've always been a pretty gloomy little shit, even before I knew I was gay.
>>
>Gay
>Male
>26
>Recurrent Brief Depression, and Hypersomnia which is possibly linked

All my friends that I knew died throughout the years, witnessed the suicide of two of them, and my boyfriend of about 8 years died of a brain tumor. This combined with a very abusive home-life when I was younger and my family having a history of this kind of thing apparently triggered it.

I can't even take medication for it because they only last for a few days, and the episodes of depression that happen randomly and are usually set off by other factors. These periods of depression are incredibly severe when they do happen and cause me to be very highly dependent and near suicidal.

The hypersomnia, which I was told was usually linked, causes me to have to sleep for at least 10 hours a day to get the amount of rest that a normal person would have to sleep for 6. Which makes it very difficult to function normally and keep a normal schedule.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.