[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

getting rid of rib flare

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 4

File: RibFlareTest.jpg (60KB, 1000x746px)
RibFlareTest.jpg
60KB, 1000x746px
I have kinda bad rib flair, and it makes my ribcage extend out more than it should. Are there any exercises I can do to pull the ribs back in, and make them look smaller?
>>
have you tried corsets?
>>
I don't have any help for you but I have an issue with this as well and would also like advice.

It makes me really self-conscious about my body.
>>
>>8285166
I heard it's unhealthy to force it back in. I'd rather try to use my muscles to just pull them in.
>>
I wish I knew. It comes with the rest of the computer nerd posture package.

Maybe it's just scoliosis. I had forward shoulders before I ever even used a computer, from heavy backpacks.
>>
I have the same thing, the external obliques and other core muscles seem to be underdeveloped and not engaging properly

if I lean back really far so my abdominal muscles have to engage to hold up my torso the rib flare becomes way less pronounced

and I did some ab wheel rollouts recently and got DOMS despite going to the gym, so I definitely think it's due to lack of training
>>
I've been looking into going to a physiotherapist to fix my posture and rib flare issues.

There's a lot of stuff online for it but I think I'm too dumb to fix it without help from a professional.
>>
Its just genetics. Its like having wide shoulders or wide pelvis. You can't do anything much about it. You can reduce it with having strong abs and correct posture, but if you just have really flared ribs it will still show. You should worry about it specifically, you should try to get good core strength and posture regardless. Another thing is you might be under weight. I had really flared looking ribs, then I worked really hard to gain ~20 lbs and they went away mostly but I also strengthened my abs a lot too. Just exercise and practice good posture, don't dwell on it.
>>
i have rib flare but i think its from wearing a binder for so many years until could get mastectomy
>>
OP I have similar problem and what I learned so far is that I overinhalete. Try to exhale all air from your lungs and move around in front of a mirror in my case I look normal and not like some dude bro ready to fight.

Sadly It's hard to sustain - but I keep working on having much less air in my upper lungs.
>>
File: what the fuck ribcage.png (29KB, 268x202px) Image search: [Google]
what the fuck ribcage.png
29KB, 268x202px
>>8285162
iktf
hypotonia caused it in my case
>>
>>8285450
I noticed this too. But it hurts
>>
>>8285162
You spine might not be straight. Could be why.
>>
File: IMG_0254.jpg (39KB, 405x363px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0254.jpg
39KB, 405x363px
Man im gonna try that corsets shit is hot anyway. Now I'm gonna make a unrelated rant. I am gay and on the edge of being a flaming faggot at work but I'm staying strong. Everyone wants to see pretty lil me in my girl mode but I will defeat them and remain the quietly effeminate person that I am. No prissiness, no sugar cookie chapstick for me and I will do this by acting extra gay on 4chan to get it out of my system
>>
>>8285450
Even when I exhale all the way it doesn't seem to go away completely..
>>
>>8286310

Corsets won't fix it, unless you wear one 24/7 for years it goes back after you take it off.
>>
>>8286311
try leaning back heavily, do your abdominals activate and reduce the rib flare?
>>
>>8286332

I read it just takes about one year of nightly wearing??
>>
>>8286337
Not that I could see, no.
>>
>>8286373
Can we get a picture? But you should probably contact a physiotherapist or whatever
>>
>>8285176
It's not unhealthy. I have rib flare due to pectus excavatum and one of the treatments is a medical brace that literally is just a more medical-looking corset that they charge absurd amounts of money for.
I'd recommend looking into getting some custom made corsets. They're perfectly healthy when you custom make them to fit your body. I'm sure store bought ones are fairly unhealthy though. Even the medical corsets need to be custom manufactured to fit your body.
You need a corset that will modify rib shape, which means you need a conical corset. You'll have no choice but to either sew one yourself or purchase one from a corsetterrie as this type of corset is not available over the counter.
>>
>>8285162
You can surgically remove your lower ribs.
>>
>>8286352
Well I'd say the early you get started the better.
>>
>>8286381
From the front or from the side?
>>
>>8286764
why not both?
>>
>>8286507
Where are you getting the brace from?
>>
>>8287180
I'm not too sure. My doctor said the brace costs around $1000-$1500 though and he said the ones he has tried out don't always work.
Personally I'm just sewing my own corset. It's cheap and I figure my shoddy sewing skills are good enough lol
>>
>>8286776
This is from the front:
https://unsee.cc
/rapezusi/

This is from the side:
https://unsee.cc
/depabuno/

I know, I'm disgusting.
>>
>>8287260
That's definitely pectus excavatum
>>
>>8287271
Yes, I know I have it. I'm unsure what I can do to fix it though.
>>
>>8287276

can't without surgery.
>>
>>8287296
What about the fib flare?
>>
>>8287276
Well I have it and there's a bunch of different options. I have it as well so I've done a lot of research on it
1) Get the major surgery to yank your sternum back out and reshape your ribs. It's expensive and very dangerous though. Usually they only do it if your sternum pushes on your heart
2) There's a brace that uses magnets to pull your sternum back out. There's a minor surgery where they drill into your sternum and install the magnets. Then you need to wear a brace on your torso and it slowly pulls your ribcage out. I don't think this fully fixes the flared ribs though
3) There's over-the-counter braces, they're usually like $500-$1000 or so. Most people say they don't work
4) There's expensive medical braces that are basically techno-age corsets that use carbon fiber and whatnot. They're expensive and pretty similar to what's used for scoliosis. Expect to spend around $5000.
5) There's corsets. You'd need the correct shape, and you'd have to get it custom-made. The reason being is most corsets cup the ribs whereas for pectus you'd want a conical corset that has a linear expansion from the waist up. Sometimes I've heard people call them ice-cream cone corsets. If you know how to sew doing a corset is cheap and easy, like $100 worth of stuff maybe. If you can't sew expect to spend around $300-$1000 or more, really depends. You also have to waist train quite a bit slower to pull the ribs in properly without causing other issues.
>>
>>8285162
This should help.
>>
>>8287310
I feel like I'd do this wrong if I did it myself..

Who would I even go to get a professional opinion?
>>
>>8287300

Not much. You can try to just build a lot of ab strength over it. But I would just accept it. Its not bad at all or even noticeable if you aren't looking for it. Honestly I would trade with you any time, I have dent from broken ribs on the left side of my chest which makes it asymmetrical. There is a lot worse problems you can have, its not healthy to dwell on it so much, or you'll go down a very expensive rabbit hole trying to fix a minor problem that you may never end up solving.
>>
>>8287332
But I'm MtF..
>>
>>8287324
Your general practitioner should know at least a bit about it. He will most likely send you to a plastic surgeon or a orthopedic surgeon after that.
Most doctors will tell you not to do anything about it unless it's causing problems though.

Personally I'm just going to use corsets since I've tried exercises to reduce it and they're only marginally effective. The dip is still there even when my waist shrinks. Like in bras I still have that gap under the middle portion and it looks weird.
>>
>>8287337
I mean look at my torso, I'm gonna look weird in a bra either way..

I suppose I could ask my doctor.
>>
>>8287336

I figured that. Tons of cis women have flared ribs too. Its not that big of deal. I mean, if you got heaps of money laying around go for the surgery. but its a minor thing imo that you can't really do anything to fix. Its better to just come to terms with it. And you can have strong core / abs without having a six pack if you eat enough.
>>
>>8287361
You should do exercises to strengthen your core and fix your posture though. If you're on HRT you won't build a ton of muscle, but the exercises correct your figure anyway.
There's like a 95% chance that's all your doctor is going to tell you to do anyway unless your sternum is pushing on your heart. The surgery to fix it isn't exactly easy and the surgery using magnets isn't very well known or common.

I've heard from some girls with it and they've used corsets successfully. It's just not well-known since men don't want to wear corsets so the information just gets buried lol
Just start learning how to sew and do patterning and make your own corset.
>>
>>8287377
Where do I look into buying a corset?

And I'm really really dumb when it comes to exercising, I don't know how to get into it, I've never really done it all my entire life.
>>
>>8287388
Check out https://lucycorsetry.com/
Her page on conical corsets is here:
https://lucycorsetry.com/research-corset-brands/guided-galleries/conical-rib-corsets/
She also has articles and vids about sewing them on there as well. I basically learnt how to sew entirely for the purpose of making a corset lol
>>
>>8287397
Why do they always tighten the corset so much that their waist is unnaturally small?
>>
>>8287415
If you're trying to alter your ribs then you'll need to go down in waist size. From your waist to your underbust on a conical corset will be a linear line. If there's not enough slope to that line you won't be altering your rib cage.
Also corsets are supposed to be for waist training so that you see permanent results when it's taken off. Usually your waist will rebound a few inches with the corset off.
>>
>>8287388

You still have to exercise, especially if you're wearing a corset for long periods of time. The corset starts to support your waist and can atrophy and weaken your abs.

>>8287415

Cus its goes back to the way it was after you take it off. It takes years of daily use to even see any permanent gains and it can fuck your back and atrophy your abs if you don't do it right. It also moves your organs around which can give you a distended gut below your belly button.
>>
>>8287481
Why did this shit have to happen to me, I literally know nothing about exercise..
>>
>>8287526

Exercising abs is really easy. You can just do planks / bicycles on the ground and dragonflys when you get really strong abs, or if you have a bar you can do leg raises, knees bent to start then straight legs. It takes like 5min a day. Look it up. There are a ton of different things you can do.
>>
>>8287526
That's probably why it happened lol
Due to poor posture it causes pressure in your abdomen pushing your lower ribs outward which creates a torque on your sternum pushing it inward. The whole reason why corsets do anything at all is it's the exact opposite mechanism.

But yeah it sucks, I never wanted to exercise because I didn't want to become more masculine but I never considered the effects it would have on posture and pectus excavatum is kind of related to posture, but it's a more serious consequence. It sucks, if I had known more back before I actually started getting it I probably would have exercised more.
>>
>>8287556
I've seen planks and stomach vacuums, is that really enough?

>>8287594
Do you think seeing a physiotherapist to kept fix my posture would help?

I have some really bad habits like not being able to sit straight in chairs, I'm always slouching, doing anything else is uncomfortable.

I'm basically heavily slouched in bed all day on my laptop.
>>
>>8287696

Its enough if you feel like you're actually exercising and not half assing it.

You don't need a physiotherapist to fix posture. Google is your friend.
>>
>>8287696
It will probably definitely help if you can fix your posture. Exercise can easily reduce how bad pectus excavatum looks. Some people get lucky and after a long enough time their bones just adjust back to the correct positions with continued exercise especially if their core strengthens enough to kind of pull on those bottom ribs.
You'll probably need more than just planks and stomach vacuums. You should do a complete workout. You won't become a musclehead on hrt so just do standard total body exercises. You'll definitely want to strengthen your back, core, and shoulders though.

If you're just working out at home you could lookup bodyweight exercises. But make sure you're hitting every muscle in your body. Posture is reliant on basically your entire body having the correct center of mass and muscles generally all work in tandem so you can't just do crunches and expect everything to get better.
>>
>>8287730
But my shoulders are already huge..

I don't feel any muscle on them but I'd like to not add any more if I could..
>>
>>8287723
You don't know how dumb I am when it comes to fitness lol
>>
>>8287730
>>8287768

this is true better yet just do complete workout. its really easy go to /fit/ sometimes they post body weight routines. you won't get big muscles accidentally trust me. Especially on HRT.
>>
>>8287751
It's not really specifically your shoulders that will get the muscle, it's mostly your back. Just to correct how your shoulder blades are positioned. I'm assuming you probably lean your shoulders forward naturally due to lordosis.
>>
>>8287807
Yeah, I do. They stick out forward.
>>
>>8287817
You could just go to a gym and purchase a plan with a personal trainer and let them know what you want. It's probably cheaper than a physiotherapist and they'll know how to fix your posture as well. If you don't want to get bulky and muscly then just tell them that.
>>
>>8287828
That's a good idea. I'll try that.

Thanks anon :)
>>
>>8287891
If you're in university usually there's deals on personal trainers through the school. Even if you're not if you live near a college or uni that has a fitness degree program usually they have cheaper deals with student trainers.
>>
>>8285162
https://youtu.be/56FPD07KRWo
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.