[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thinking "Male Privilege"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: 1492768812527.jpg (28KB, 492x280px) Image search: [Google]
1492768812527.jpg
28KB, 492x280px
The concept of “male privilege” emerged out of the incorrect assumption that sexism functions as a unilateral form of oppression. According to this model, men unilaterally oppress women, and thus they reap all of the benefits, while women bear all of the hardships.

While some cissexual women assume that men have a monopoly on gender privilege, this is not the case. Many trans men have written at length about the numerous ways their lives became more difficult, complex, or even dangerous once they were regularly perceived as male. Their comments have been echoed by Norah Vincent, a cissexual woman who spent over a year and a half socially “passing” as a man as a part of an investigative journalism project.

As a trans woman, I have, on many occasions, had cissexual women claim that I shouldn’t be given the same rights as them to label myself a “woman” or to enter women-only spaces because I have experienced “male privilege” in the past. This claim always strikes me as odd. After all, unlike them, I have actually experienced having others treat me as both male and female at different points in my life. One could easily make the case that transsexuals are uniquely positioned to give firsthand accounts of what exactly “male privilege” is or isn’t.

It infuriates me when cissexual women use “male privilege” as an excuse to dismiss MTF spectrum folks, as it belies their reluctance to examine their own female privilege, their birth privilege (having been born into a physical sex that matches their subconscious sex), their socialization privilege (being socialized into a gender consistent with their subconscious sex), and their cissexual privilege (having others consider their femaleness legitimate and unquestionable).
>>
When I ask my cissexual female friends if they would have preferred it if their parents had decided to raise them male rather than female, most of them immediately answer “no.” Posing the question in this way allows them to recognize that the supposed male privileges they might have gained if raised male would not be worth the price of losing their female privilege nor having to deny or repress their femaleness and femininity.

As someone who spent my childhood desperately wishing that I could be a girl rather than boy, and who as an adult considers it a privilege to finally have the opportunity to live in the world as a woman rather than a man, I find those attempts to undermine trans women’s femaleness by decrying “male privilege” hollow and crass.
>>
For feminism to ignore the society-wide effemimania and trans-misogyny we face is to allow one of the most pervasive forms of sexism to go unchecked.

After all much of the sexist behavior exhibited by cissexual men arises directly out of their being forced to disavow and mystify femininity from an early age.

Additionally, those of us who transition to female can provide firsthand accounts of the very different ways that women and men are treated in the world—a perspective that is especially relevant today given how common it is for people to naively claim that we as a society have transcended sexism and moved into a “postfeminist” era.
>>
I agree, the privilege is a two way street, but that doesn't mean that it isn't worse for women. There's nothing men experience that quite compares to the vulnerability and fear of being raped whenever going out alone.

In some mideastern countries there is an entirely legal practice called bridestealing. Its when men ambush a woman in public and put a veil over her head, which now makes her their wife and property. She cannot seek help or return home or she will be disowned. She is now essentially a slave, without control of her life, just suddenly one day its taken from her by a stranger and this practice is sanctioned by society.

So sure, privilege runs both ways, but still, check your privilege.
>>
>>8233009
>I agree, the privilege is a two way street, but that doesn't mean that it isn't worse for women. There's nothing men experience that quite compares to the vulnerability and fear of being raped whenever going out alone.
you are projecting, most women do not care. they don't want to be raped, but they do not spend their every waking moment avoiding places to because they fear it.

on a global level, women are still in the fuck zone in many places yes, In the western world, sexism is almost entirely social. Male rape victims also see much less support and their claims viewed more incredulously and derisively.
>>
>>8233009
>but that doesn't mean that it isn't worse for women.
>implying it is
>>
>>8232445
Are you stupid?
Male privilege exists because we live in a patriarchal society where men hold ALL of the power.
What you call female privilege is merely sexism which was created and is still enforced by patriarchy.
Attitudes to both women and men are dictated by patriarchy.
A woman having a door opened for her isn't female privilege, its sexism promoting the idea that women are weak.

I don't agree with CIS women who tell you that you will never be a woman because you've experienced male privilege, plenty of trans women can.

But from your posts you personally will never be a woman because you're clearly brainwashed by patriarchy and obviously have an arrogant male brain that is incapable of having compassion for the oppressed groups under white male heterosexual patriarchy, and an unwillingness to learn about the female struggle.

Bye
>>
But perhaps most of all, what MTF spectrum trans people can critique feminism is a very different and far more empowering perspective on femininity.

Over the years, many feminists have argued that femininity undermines women, or that it’s purposefully designed to subordinate women to men. Such a view no doubt stems from the experiences of those women who have felt that the expectation of femininity has been forced upon them against their will.

But those of us on the MTF spectrum who have had the reciprocal experience—of inexplicably being inclined or compelled to express femininity that we were taught to avoid or repress—cannot so easily dismiss femininity as an artifice whose sole purpose is to devalue and disempower women.

Because we come to embrace our own femininity for ourselves rather than to appease others, we are able to appreciate the many ways in which femininity can be freeing and empowering for those who gravitate toward it on their own.

Many of us reject all of the inferior meanings and connotations that others project onto femininity—that it is weak, artificial, frivolous, demure, and passive—because for us, there has been no act more bold and daring than embracing our own femininity.

In a world that is awash in antifeminine sentiment, we understand that embracing and empowering femininity can potentially be one of the most transformative and revolutionary acts imaginable.
>>
>>8233158
>Male privilege exists because we live in a patriarchal society where men hold ALL of the power.
lolno
>>
Another misogynistic tranny, big surprise
>>
>>8236764
>misogynistic
where?
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.