[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thoughts on The Empire Strikes Back: A Posttranssexual Manifesto

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

(link to essay)
https://sandystone.com/empire-strikes-back.pdf

What are your thoughts on Sandy Stone's 1993 essay The Empire Strikes Back: A Posttranssexual Manifesto?

Does this essay and it's messages hold any relevance in the modern day transgender movement, or is it mostly just an important relic to a "different era" of trans related struggles?
Personally after reading her essay I have a better understanding of the contexts surrounding the attacks (though still not justified in my opinion) made against Sandy Stone and trans women in Janice Raymond's The Transsexual Empire, and what motivated her to write such an inflammatory and transphobic book.

I also think there are some important points raised in this essay regarding passing and establishing an "authentic trans identity" that are arguably still important to this day, which I will paste into this thread for discussion.

To those that have read this essay or the parts I have pasted in this thread, what are your opinions on it?

Do the ideas expressed in this essay mostly transcend the era and contexts in which it was written in, or have we "advanced" as a society / "movement" to a point in which they are no longer as pertinent?

Do you think she is wrong or right in calling for the need for trans people to establish a "narrative" for ourselves outside of a ""cis-normative"" context, as in, should our goal really be to assimilate into society "post transition" to the point that we effectively "erase" / obscure any aspect of our identity that might be outside of our "normative" transitioned gender identity or "roles?"
(Also the essay was written by a MtF that for whatever reason didn't really do much to address or acknowledge FtMs in her piece so I apologize if it seems like I am being exclusionary)
>>

"Given this circumstance in which a minority discourse comes to ground in the physical, a counterdiscourse is critical. But it is difficult to generate a counterdiscourse if one is programmed to disappear. The highest purpose of the transsexual is to erase h/erself, to fade into the "normal"population as soon as possible. Part of this process is known as constructing a plausible history-- learning to lie effectively about one's past. What is gained is acceptability in society. What is lost is the ability to authentically represent the complexities and ambiguities of lived experience, and thereby is lost that aspect of "nature" which Donna Haraway theorizes as Coyote-- the Native American spirit animal who represents the power of continual transformation which is the heart of engaged life. Instead, authentic experience is replaced by a particular kind of story, one that supports the old constructed positions."
>>

"To attempt to occupy a place as speaking subject within the traditional gender frame is to become
complicit in the discourse which one wishes to deconstruct. Rather, we can sieze upon the textual
violence inscribed in the transsexual body and turn it into a reconstructive force. Let me suggest
a more familiar example. Judith Butler points out that the lesbian categories of "butch" and
"femme" are not simple assimilations of lesbianism back into the terms of heterosexuality.
Rather, Butler introduces the concept of cultural intelligibility, and suggests that the
contextualized and resignified "masculinity" of the butch, seen against a culturally intelligible
"female" body, invokes a dissonance that both generates a sexual tension and constitutes the
object of desire. She points out that this way of thinking about gendered objects of desire admits
of much greater complexity than the example suggests. The lesbian butch or femme both recall
the heterosexual scene but simultaneously displace it. The idea that butch and femme are
"replicas" or "copies" of heterosexual exchange underestimates the erotic power of their internal
dissonance. [44] In the case of the transsexual, the varieties of performative gender, seen against
a culturally intelligible gendered body which is itself a medically constituted textual violence,
generate new and unpredictable dissonances which implicate entire spectra of desire. In the
transsexual as text we may find the potential to map the refigured body onto conventional gender
discourse and thereby disrupt it, to take advantage of the dissonances created by such a
juxtaposition to fragment and reconstitute the elements of gender in new and unexpected
geometries. I suggest we start by taking Raymond's accusation that "transsexuals divide women"
beyond itself, and turn it into a productive force to multiplicatively divide the old binary
discourses of gender--as well as Raymond's own monistic discourse.

1/2
>>
>>8230569

To foreground the practices of inscription and reading which are part of this deliberate invocation of dissonance, I suggest constituting transsexuals not as a class or problematic "third gender", but rather as a genre-- a set of embodied texts whose potential for productive disruption of structured sexualities and spectra of desire has yet to be explored. In order to effect this, the genre of visible transsexuals must grow by recruiting members from the class of invisible ones, from those who have disappeared into their "plausible histories". The most critical thing a transsexual can do, the thing that constitutes success, is to "pass." [45] Passing means to live successfully in the gender of choice, to be accepted as a "natural" member of that gender. Passing means the denial of mixture. One and the same with passing is effacement of the prior gender role, or the construction of a plausible history."

2/2
>>
>>8230546
>>8230555
>>8230569
>>>/lit/
>>
>>8230588
it's /lgbt related though..
>>
>>8230588

>>>/lit/erally anywhere else

Get this leftist garbage off this board, this is Trump territory you migrant humping terrorist loving faggot
>>
>>8230616
>you migrant humping terrorist loving faggot
She's a tranny though.
>>
>>8230650

I gathered. How does that impede her ability to love terrorists and hump migrants and be a faggot? Having been one myself for about 3 years now, I'd say that aptly describes 99% of trannies.
>>
>>8230710
Trannies don't do the humping.
>>
>>8230616
Um, this is America, land of freedom
>>
>>8230546
Even zizek is more coherent
>>
>>8231205
how am I being incoherent?
>>
>>8231507
im saying the essayist of the essay not you
>>
>>8231517
Oh, what is incoherent about it?

Keep in mind as far as i'm aware it was partly originally written as a response to Janice Raymond's book The Transsexual Empire, which might explain why it seems to jump around and address multiple topics.
>>
>>8231544
because i hate when movies are taken out of context to make a point
>>
>>8231205
i was listening (but not understanding) to zizek babble on as i read this..
>>
>>8231601
Oh come on... Give the essay a chance..
>>
All identity is virtual.
>>
The Empire Strikes Me As Exaggerated.
>>
File: 1473370706891.gif (1001KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1473370706891.gif
1001KB, 640x480px
>>8231202
>America, land of freedom
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.