[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

On Gender performativity

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 5

File: Judith Butler.jpg (17KB, 220x331px) Image search: [Google]
Judith Butler.jpg
17KB, 220x331px
What do you guys think of this qoute?

When Simone de Beauvoir claims, "one is not born, but, rather, becomes a woman," she is appropriating and reinterpreting this doctrine of constituting acts from the phenomenological tradition.1 In this sense, gender is in no way a stable identity or locus of agency from which various acts proceede; rather, it is an identity tenuously constituted in time-an identity instituted through a stylized repetition of acts. Further, gender is instituted through the stylization of the body and, hence, must be under- stood as the mundane way in which bodily gestures, movements, and enactments of various kinds constitute the illusion of an abiding gendered self.

https://www.amherst.edu/system/files/media/1650/butler_performative_acts.pdf
>>
seems right to me.
>>
>>8157261
There are shorter ways to say "I'm completely full of shit, pay me."
>>
>>8157261
Are you reading Gender Trouble right now by chance? I just started reading it recently and it would be cool to discuss it with someone as I read it. I wish /tttt did book club threads.
>>
>>8157469
not OP, but you should make a thread, that seems like a decent idea.
>>
I agree but it sort of misses the larger point that no one exists alone, all behavior is performative in that way
>>
>>8157512
Do you think if I did people would actually be interested? It would be nice to talk about it with others considering how hard some of the language can be to follow at times.
>>
>>8157531
it doesn't hurt to try. the board is dead enough after 9pm PST aside from /tttt/ threads, and it seems like most people in those are at least open to relatively academic discussions of gender.
>>
>>8157554
What's academic about some Republican disease claiming that trans people don't deserve any respect?
>>
>>8157554
True, I'm at work rn but maybe I'll try making a thread tonight or tomorrow.
>>
>>8157585
Also btw if anyone reading this thread would be interested in a /tttt book club reply to this post so I or someone else is more motivated to start one
>>
>>8157592
I would consider reading depending on what you pick but I'm not going to read some stupid bbl shit

also please stop calling this board tttt it's not funny...
>>
>>8157619
>bbl
what does this mean?
>>
>>8157622
blanchard bailey lawrence
>>
>>8157619
Sorry... I wouldn't call it that for the book club thread just fyi, it's mostly out of habit.
>>
>>8157619
What would be some good books for us to discuss besides Gender Trouble? I'm open to anything besides something to do with Blanchard to be honest.
>>
>>8157662
most of the ones i can think of involve some kind of feminism or even, god forbid, race, but simone de beuvoir, bell hooks, or viviane namaste
>>
>>8157737
whats wrong with feminism and race
>>
Why can't people understand this simple concept

sex is biological
gender identity is biological
gender roles are not biological

Simone de Beauvoir learned female gender roles to match her innate gender identity. It's that simple.
>>
>>8157748
nothing at all in my opinion, i just worry that based on the political makeup of this board, threads more explicitly about that would draw the worst kinds of posters and shit up any worthwhile discussion.
>>
>>8157750
Because nobody is interested in learning what some lying Republican has to say.

Despite the hoopla the media makes about this sort of bullshit, I've yet to meet a real person who cares about it.

People are a little harder to distract from their need for/interest in equality than "blah blah blah random psuedoscientific words blah blah blah."
>>
File: 1382463859536.png (564KB, 719x719px) Image search: [Google]
1382463859536.png
564KB, 719x719px
>>8157750
>gender identity is biological
>>
>>8157750
>gender identity is biological
Why don't you read the essay OP posted and come back again?
>>
>>8157777
>You've figured out an obvious fact! Well you had better read the total and complete bullshit I posted or else!
>>
>>8157737
Yeah it's somewhat inevitable, also I was think it may be a good idea to focus on essays or maybe excerpts from books so people don't get bored / have to commit to much time to one discussion.
>>
>>8157759
you're probably right about that unfortunately.

>>8157761
what are you even talking about

who are you trying to call a 'lying Republican'
>>
>>8157790
Whoever the worthless feminist bitch is that OP wanted me to care about. I would sooner pull out my teeth than read what someone who gets paid by Republicans to be full of shit has to say.
>>
>>8157787
thinking it may be***
>>
>>8157776
Correct. It's why little boys prefer to play with trucks and girls prefer to play with dolls when presented with both choices in the vast majority of cases. The boy innately chooses the toy that he thinks a boy should choose and the girl makes the same choice. It's the reason why gender dysphoria cannot be cured with cognitive behavioral therapy or medication, but by matching your gender expression to your gender identity.
>>
>>8157805
you really have some issues you need to sort out. please don't post here again you're not contributing at all.
>>
>>8157808
lol tb h I think you just made a better argument for gender being performative than biological.
>>
>>8157261
It could work, for a somewhat sexist and purely social definition of gender.
>>
>>8157832
Gender IS performative. I didn't say gender is biological

I said gender identity is biological.
>>
>>8157844
okay I'm sorry I'm stupid I read those posts wrong.
though I'm not sure I agree that gender identity is biological.
>>
>>8157261
Doesn't change the fact that almost all trannies never will be women because they aren't raised and treated like females for the majority of their childhood and probably also their teens.
>>
>>8157819
If it were so simple to trick me that a simple lie like that from a disease like you could fool me, I would have stopped posting here 10 years ago.
>>
>>8157858
thanks for the reminder i almost forgot.
>>
>>8157858
But isn't that the same lie that the bitch in the OP post told? What makes you think you did an epic gotcha, with a meme like that?
>>
>>8157873
Eh sorry didn't mean to insult someone, just trying to point out that what this women says is pretty much irrelevant.
>>
>>8157884
By agreeing with the woman?
>>
>>8157884
*woman
>>
>>8157892
Nah, I was trying to say that even if it was true it still wouldn't make trannies women. Which means it's pretty irrelevant to LGBT.
>>
>>8157898
So in other words, you're just going to lie like a straight disease again?
>>
>>8157903
a what?
>>
>>8157906
A straight disease.
>>
>>8157881
>>8157884
>>8157892
idk if you did not actually read the quote but what she is saying is not that you need to be taught from birth to be a woman but that gender is just a label we give to certain actions and appearances. so I'm not sure if you are trying to say its impossible to change your behaviour to something you weren't forced from childhood to learn because that seems very stupid thing to assert.
>>
>>8157921
What does that mean? Do I even want to know?
>>
>>8157938
It means a breeder.
>>
File: 1492842514123.jpg (95KB, 674x494px) Image search: [Google]
1492842514123.jpg
95KB, 674x494px
>>8157933
Nobody forces you to be female it happens naturally, gender is influenced by sex and starting a discussion about "labels" is retarded, there's not a "certain action" that makes you female. Actually I wouldn't even know how to define what being a woman means and whats female since I'm a guy anyways. I could talk to a ftm about this, guess I'm just gonna shut up about mtfs and leave it at my statement that none of you are or ever will be women, because thats what I can tell without any abstract definitions.
>>
>>8157933
But that's literally the opposite of what she said, and not only that but even if that was what she was saying it would still be 100% wrong?
>>
>>8157958
lol. okay fag thank you for the discussion.
>>
>>8157940
But I'm a gay guy lol.
>>
>>8157970
But you're a straight disease lol.
>>
>>8157975
But how can I be a breeder and gay, this doesn't make any sense.
>>
>>8157975
Or is this just a word you use for people who say that an open wound and synthetic hormones won't make you female?
>>
>>8157965
okay how about you explain what you think she is saying.
>>
>>8157981
Simple. I'm telling the truth like always, and you're lying like always.
>>
>>8157992
wot, did the estrogen fuck up your brain?
>>
>>8157996
That's an epic meme, and not at all pedophilic Mr. Jesus Christ.
>>
you are all severely mentally ill. including the cis people who argue with the trannies
>>
File: 1492582613465.png (817KB, 1111x597px) Image search: [Google]
1492582613465.png
817KB, 1111x597px
>>8158013
>>
>>8158030
I get it, I get it. The more you advertise yourself as alt-right, the more you think you win. But I'll just keep pointing out that that proves you're a worthless pedophile who should be exterminated, ok?
>>
File: 1492549974979.jpg (40KB, 604x453px) Image search: [Google]
1492549974979.jpg
40KB, 604x453px
>>8158042
wat r u talking about
>>
>>8157958
>Actually I wouldn't even know how to define what being a woman means and whats female since I'm a guy anyways.
Actually... yeah how can you desire to be another gender if you lack the experience of truelly being female. Is transistion just a leap of faith to gain sutch an experience?
>>
>>8159280
That post sounds like a meme tbqh. You can't get rid of trans people, which have existed all throughout history, just by danking a meme.
>>
>>8157261
Yeah more or less, but Butler's problem at the end of every passage is that she has to politicise and moralise the observation. Nothing she says would be controversial if she didn't caveat all of it with little parentheses saying the equivalent of '(which is bad btw)' or '(which is ok btw)'.

But then those parentheses are the main reason people read her works - to collect inspo for sermons.
>>
>>8159280
Psychology has a biological component, Anon.
Thread posts: 67
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.