[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does ''representation'' matter to you?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

For me,It' complete bullshit.
A character is a character it doesn't have to represent people,especially just by merely sharing a need for cock or pussy
>>
File: 1490423028214.jpg (63KB, 768x434px) Image search: [Google]
1490423028214.jpg
63KB, 768x434px
>>8083527
as a lesbian I would like representation but bitching and moaning about representation is retarded as a way to obtain it. it's like complaining about womens pants having no pockets, and then going out and buying a ton of them. if you want representation you have to stop falling for clickbait. that applies to all mediums,
>>
>>8083527
no. the exact opposite actually. I don't want any trans characters in anything. I want to be a woman not a transwoman. But that's the next closest thing achievable in reality.
>>
>>8083527
Representation is dumb. It just leads to people complaining about how [insert LGBT character] is poorly written and that's Problematicâ„¢, while being blind to the fact that the vast majority of characters in general are shit.
>>
>>8083553
>I want to be a woman not a transwoman.
Of course, but cis women haven't had your life experiences. Why isn't it nice when a character has shared that with you?
>>
>>8083540
So what you mean is that as a lesbian you feel lesbian characters are more relatable because of their sexuality so therefore you enjoy them more right? I mean I can see that,I just don't agree with the whole ''They represent real people! if real people don't get them they gonna kill themselfsss!!!!''
They are characters,that's it,so those characters can be as ''problematic'' written as they want because they don't hold any responsability of representing people.
I mean isn't infatalizing to make an entire class of the world being represented by some rando character?
>>
i want the media i consume to feature romance between well developed female characters, because its something thats important to me, but i dont care if a character is a lesbian if it doesnt contribute to the quality / my enjoyment of the series in any way
>>
>>8083655
Because I don't care about the depiction of those life experiences. I'd prefer that nobody experience it at all.
>>
>>8083887
>I'd prefer that nobody experience it at all.
Me too but still, it's makes a character have a common outlook to yourself.
>>
yeah, it's a good thing imo. On a personal level i can relate a lot more to the character and enjoy the content more (I would have liked sense8 less if Nomi wasn't in it, for example) and on a public level it portrays us in a way that makes us more human to the world and possibly provides rolemodels (for ppl who may be in the closet as well)
>>
People who say this can't into foreign films.
>>
>>8083527
Representation is nice if it's done right. But as stated before, I don't want people forcing content creators to make characters for example, LGBT. But seeing a trans man in anything would be cool.
>>
>>8083655

Different anon, but there's such a huge variety in trans experiences, and too few trans people to express that variety. Just because someone's trans, doesn't mean I'll significantly relate to their experience.
When it comes to a certain gender, there are enough characters of that gender (cis or trans) for everyone who shares that gender to be able to relate to something. But a trans character that I'd be able to relate to, that's a complete shot in the dark.
Like as a trans man, there are plenty of characters, both men and women, whom I've related to on deep levels. Even with things that for me come from being trans, but for certain characters comes from somewhere else.

eg in Disney's Tarzan, when Tarzan finds out that he's not just a fucked up failed ape, but that he's actually a human, and had felt out of place and forced to measure up all his life for nothing. I don't have to be an ape-man for that to be relatable as fuck, and he doesn't have to be trans.
Plenty of fictional characters work like this, heck the further removed from any sort of human reality they are the more broadly people are able to relate to them. But when someone takes what, on the surface, is your experience, but doesn't actually reflect you, more often than not it's simply all the more alienating.

And heck, people from opposite ends of life being able to relate to a single character that way is also really connecting. A lot of cis people have no idea what it feels like to be trans, but a lot of people know what it feels like to be Tarzan realising he's different. And through that, we're able to connect and empathise with each other.

Which isn't to say relatable trans characters can't or shouldn't exist, just that it's hardly the be-all end-all.
>>
>>8083527
I don't really care for representation desu, I get it's importance on a social and political level, but on a personal level I just don't care
>>
>>8083540
It's more like asking somebody to "be more spontaneous". All you'll do is make them more self-conscious and anxious and they'll be even less spontaneous, AND they'll be self-conscious about failing you so they'll feel ashamed and guilty making it even worse. SJWs are autists with shit social skills who don't get this.
>>
'Representation' is just a reflection of normalcy. If a writer is gay and/or knows a lot of gay people, writing characters who happen to be gay, whether it's a significant aspect of their personality, will come very naturally. As gays get more and more mainstream acceptance, the amount of people who are so comfortably familiar with the subject as to include it in their writing will naturally increase.
It isn't really something that can or should be forced. Trying to force it is how we got embarrassing 90s tokenism.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.