[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Representation in media

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

The new companion in Doctor Who is confirmed to be gay
What do you think about the need for LGBT characters in media? Do you think it's necessary or not? Is it important to have non-het characters in leading roles? Should they be publicized and commended? Or do you believe it shouldn't be made such a big deal out of either way?
>>
>>8026631
Honestly who gives a shit.

We should be caring about the stories in fiction. We should be caring about who the characters are rather than what they are.
If having a character be gay makes them more interesting and adds to the story, thats great. If making a character black adds to the story thats great.

otherwise we shouldn't worry about the specific demographics a character or person falls under
>>
>>8026636
What do you think of the argument that having non-het characters in TV and movies helps kids who are coming to terms with their sexuality not feel like it's abnormal? Society is heteronormative (and that likely won't change) so non-hets have to come to terms with the fact they aren't 'normal' when they realize they're not straight - and seeing characters who are like them (on what, from a narrative point of view, is a very superficial and trivial level) helps reduce the impression that it's weird or abnormal since people who are like them are an accepted part of the media landscape and people in real life are less likely to be put off by it since they're already familiar with non-het people from seeing them in media
It's psyops for a good cause
>>
>>8026631
Including gay/bi characters is good when it's part of the story but bad when it's just "let's make this character a token" like it almost certainly is for Dr Who.

If that's her then she's a threefer.
>>
>>8026642
It only helps when it's part of their character and not just tokenism.

But in that case it does help, so it's good to make fiction with characters like that.
>>
>>8026642
maybe I should rephrase my argument, I think that in news coverage and reality style media, it is a good thing. However when talking about fictional media it shouldn't matter, as long as the story is made better because of it.

When I realised that I liked guys it was easy for me because my parents and wider friends had made it obvious that it wasn't a big deal and people feel this way naturally. When I came out as trans however it was much more difficult because nobody knew what it was, and my mum thought it was a fetish. However now its much easier due to the exposure on the media.
>>
Wish it would come up subtly in the story or something instead of it being made into a thing that defines her.
>>
>>8026709
What age did you come out as into guys and as trans? Do you like girls too?
>>
>>8026631
Its like the producers had a meeting one day:

>How can we make the worst possible character for a new companion?
>How about we find the ugliest black chick we could find? I mean Martha was hot but we need someone really ugly again, like when we had Donna.
>Give her a shit-tier afro too!
>Let's name her Bill, guys!
>How about if she's a lesbian too, just to show the gays we support them?
>C-can... can we make her a Muslim too? Is that a good idea? Like who cares if she's ugly if we can put a burka on her every so often.
>I dunno about that... might be going too far. We'll see.
>Let's give her a terrible fashion style, like she's from the 80s but also a millennial shit.
>Gentlemen... you've made the BBC proud today.
>>
>>8026895
14 for both and yes
>>
>>8027083
underrated post,

also fair assessment of the BBC, they literally posted ads for research jobs saying "white men need not apply"
>>
>>8027144
Which is criminal under British and European equality law, even when not done by a government body as the BBC is. Not they they'll ever be prosecuted for it.

It also either has or proposed to have quotas for LGBT presenters, which for LGB would mean they are forced to come out or they will be discriminated against just like cishets by the quotas that are supposed to help them, and for T are even worse, since it forces they to out themselves if they're stealth or else be discriminated against the quotas supposed to help them.
>>
>>8026631
If pic in OP is the character I would be more upset about a half-jew/half nigger mongrel character. Gay characters don't concern me. (((They))) are erasing white European culture, and using gays and women as a subterfuge.
>>
>>8027538
>>>/mlpol/
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.